Huundai's Ioniq Hybrid

What gets my goat is passing the hybrids off as "green" vehicles. Maybe less carbon footprint, but what about the toxic by-products from producing and disposal of hybrid batteries? Just sayin'...

Well, what is the footprint of a set of hybrid batteries, especially of the Li-ion ones most hybrids now use? How does it compare to the environmental footprint of the additional 16,000 lbs of gasoline that the conventional drivetrain car will use over its lifetime? Plus the electricity and natural gas needed to refine it, the additional steel and energy used to transport it, the energy used to drill for it, to transport it to the pipeline, etc?

We've had good luck with the Fusion energi's, especially used ones, people really like the plug in option and having the gas engine as well. My daughter just sold her 2008 Escape hybrid, nothing but oil changes, brakes and tires in 103,000 miles, and it was old technology!!

I've been driving one of those for the last three years. I really like it, and it's been very reliable. Plus I like going 20,000 miles between oil changes

I would consider a Hybrid, but not an all-electric car. Even if my normal trips will be short, I still plan to go on long road trips, and I only want one vehicle. What I have (Forester) is fine for now. I'm not interested in sports cars at all.

You might enjoy driving a plug in hybrid. Driving electric in town is so much nicer that driving on gasoline, it's quiet and smooth, and the accelerator pedal response is just perfect. When you have a long distance to cover, you still get great fuel economy, I got 38 MPG on a trip to Alabama last weekend.

Well, what is the footprint of a set of hybrid batteries, especially of the Li-ion ones most hybrids now use? How does it compare to the environmental footprint of the additional 16,000 lbs of gasoline that the conventional drivetrain car will use over its lifetime? Plus the electricity and natural gas needed to refine it, the additional steel and energy used to transport it, the energy used to drill for it, to transport it to the pipeline, etc?

Interesting points, but I would add up all those same things for the fossil fuel used to generate the electricity for a plug in vehicle, or hybrid that can be plugged in. I like the higher mileage, but don't think it is worth it in the long run, plus I question what "carbon" really does to the environment. Many gasoline only vehicles, or diesel vehicles are getting pretty high mileage as well.

I've been driving one of those for the last three years. I really like it, and it's been very reliable. Plus I like going 20,000 miles between oil changes

You might enjoy driving a plug in hybrid. Driving electric in town is so much nicer that driving on gasoline, it's quiet and smooth, and the accelerator pedal response is just perfect. When you have a long distance to cover, you still get great fuel economy, I got 38 MPG on a trip to Alabama last weekend.

Now, those are the real benefits, IMHO.

To go further off topic....

Here is snippit from the local news article on why they need to raise our power rates....To much renewable energy.

"the 32 wind and 13 solar projects are capable of producing 897 megawatts at full capacity. One megawatt can serve about 650 homes, according to Idaho Power.

At that rate, the solar and wind PURPA projects could serve roughly 583,000 homes. To put that into perspective, Idaho Power has 535,000 customers."

Just for comparison, I drove hundreds of miles in a rented Camry early this year on a trip and got 35 measured. I was checking to see if the dash computer was lying.

Driving electric in town is so much nicer that driving on gasoline, it's quiet and smooth
This reminds me of the time I was driving someone's borrowed Prius. I was in a parking lot and some young men were blocking the aisle with their backs to me. I coasted up on them slowly wondering why they didn't move. Then I realized the car was silent. One of them finally turned around and yelled, "Get a real car!" Made me laugh since I was in one of the bluest areas of a blue state. But maybe they were tourists. ;)

C5.. useless and eh. need more than 2 seats
Mustang? really? i like turns.
60s Brit cars... oh boy.. also useless and really bad. Buy a Miata or something.

STI was probably the only choice worth pursuing on this list AND it is a supped up econobox Impreza . Also way more than 22K, way more of a car than wife wants or needs.

I've got bikes, i've got a fast car(that can turn too). And i still like that Hyundai for what it is: quick, reliable, descent handling, good looking and reasonably practical.

Why do you need more than 2 seats?

Also I wouldn't really call a Impreza a econo box, turbo flat 4, AWD, etc.

And a Miata?? Well maybe if someone could shoe horn a V8 into it ;)

Had one!

33990582606_e06a3ea534_c.jpg

Huh, a ford 5.0, wonder why they didn't go LS?

Monster Motorsports apparently sourced them from Mustangs that had been totaled in rear-enders.

The article that piqued my fancy to start with:

33498414764_f076c05264_z.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you need more than 2 seats?

And a Miata?? Well maybe if someone could shoe horn a V8 into it ;)

Have other passengers

Impreza is most certainly an econobox. It's on par with Corolla, Civic, and Elantra(from Hyundai on which Veloster is based.) The fact that STI version has all the fast bits on it doesn't make it any more upscale.. just fast and much more expensive. This has killed Evo in US. 45$K for a Lancer is really questionable for most.

Miata. The best 60s British sports car ever made :). It took all the best qualities of those cars and made it reliable. V8 Miatas while fast, completely miss the point.

In the same way Sunbeam Tigers and AC-based Cobras missed the point?

In a way. They are different animals from different times. What made AC Cobra awesome is its racing purpose and heritage. Without it, it would just be another "tunner" car. A very difficult to drive fast car. Miata is a joy to drive. V8 Miata is a beast.

To add to my previous post. Shelby was creating a race car when he combined the light AC chassis with a V8. He saw a niche and used the best technology available to him to create a race car. It was successful because it was better than everything around him. But AC Cobra is a terrible street car. It's also a terrible race car by 21 century standards. That formula is old news. You need mid-engine car to make a good all-out race car. You also need to be really brave and have lots of skills to drive AC Cobra anywhere near its limits. Track or street. Or it will kill you.

If you want to drive a car that scares you all the time, then go ahead, drive AC or V8 Miata at their limits on the street. But if you want something that you can drive at car's and your limits and even make some mistakes on without going over the edge, stock Miata is a better choice. And that was the point of the car. No other car comes close to it at even remotely close price. V8 kind of ruins it. I can easily name cars that are better and faster at about the same price.

I just realized the title is misspelled. Perhaps a rule, if you can't spell the company name you probably haven't read enough research on the product to buy it? hehehe. Maybe doesn't matter but I found it funny.

Have other passengers

Impreza is most certainly an econobox. It's on par with Corolla, Civic, and Elantra(from Hyundai on which Veloster is based.) The fact that STI version has all the fast bits on it doesn't make it any more upscale.. just fast and much more expensive. This has killed Evo in US. 45$K for a Lancer is really questionable for most.

Miata. The best 60s British sports car ever made :). It took all the best qualities of those cars and made it reliable. V8 Miatas while fast, completely miss the point.

You compare a Subaru to a corolla civic and Elantra? Take it your not much of a car guy or care much what's under the hood/chassis.

You compare a Subaru to a corolla civic and Elantra? Take it your not much of a car guy or care much what's under the hood/chassis.

Civic has had an excellent chassis over the years. Still... econobox, albeit grown up now. Corolla, while not very sporty is in the same category of cars. Standard Impreza is also in that same category. People cross-shop them all the time. Elantra GT is also in that same category. Golf, Focus, Mazda 3.. etc.. all these cars are in the same category.

Now, WRX, STi, Civic Type R, Focus ST/RS, or Golf GTi are the go fast versions of them. They all have various good and bad qualities. That does not negate the fact that they all originated with econobox chassis. Subaru Forester has a lot in common with Subar STi...

Different car guys can have different opinions on different cars. I love Subarus, STi I a great car. But don't kid yourself in thinking it is anything upscale. It is a GO REALLY FAST Economical(not so much anymore) car. That is exactly why it is a great car.

Btw, you should check out WRC as of late. Guess who's missing... Subaru. Guess who's participating... Hyundai. 2-nd place finish in manufacturer's championship 2016

Civic has had an excellent chassis over the years. Still... econobox, albeit grown up now. Corolla, while not very sporty is in the same category of cars. Standard Impreza is also in that same category. People cross-shop them all the time. Elantra GT is also in that same category. Golf, Focus, Mazda 3.. etc.. all these cars are in the same category.

Now, WRX, STi, Civic Type R, Focus ST/RS, or Golf GTi are the go fast versions of them. They all have various good and bad qualities. That does not negate the fact that they all originated with econobox chassis. Subaru Forester has a lot in common with Subar STi...

Different car guys can have different opinions on different cars. I love Subarus, STi I a great car. But don't kid yourself in thinking it is anything upscale. It is a GO REALLY FAST Economical(not so much anymore) car. That is exactly why it is a great car.

Sold cars for a few years, most people are stupid when it comes to cars.

I'm talking about the layout and engneering/mechanics, a civic, Elantra and Corolla are comparable, but they are quite a diffrent layout compared to all
Subarus.

As for WRC, that's like picking a Ford Taurus or Chevy Impala based on who's winning on nascar, those things are quite a bit diffrent than the showroom car, actually I'd say the average Subaru has more in common with a WRC car than the others. Again mechanics wise.

Sold cars for a few years, most people are stupid when it comes to cars.

I'm talking about the layout and engneering/mechanics, a civic, Elantra and Corolla are comparable, but they are quite a diffrent layout compared to all
Subarus.

As for WRC, that's like picking a Ford Taurus or Chevy Impala based on who's winning on nascar, those things are quite a bit diffrent than the showroom car, actually I'd say the average Subaru has more in common with a WRC car than the others. Again mechanics wise.

Not really. Current WRC cars are truly based on production car. Accent(i20) for Hyundai They have to be street legal. STi does not fit any category. Too big. NASCAR does not share a single part with production namesakes

Being econobox or not isn't about mechanics or chassis layout. Early 90s civic had great mechanical layout. Still an economy car. It's about saving money. Usually in material quality and such. Lack of luxury touches. That's fine. Saves weight. But it is what it is.

There is nothing particularly special about Subys. The did ok in WRC 15 years ago. That's about it. That's their claim to fame.

You don't see the difference between a car (or rather the whole line of cars) which have flat longitudinal flat 4 or 6 cylinder engines with all wheel drive standard, vs a inline 4 cylinder transverse mounted front wheel drive car?

Just because they are around the same price point doesn't mean what's underneath the skin is all that similar.

Also subies are a lot like the big engine ford and GMs, you can mix and match parts from a new 2.5 into a old 2.2, brakes are almost always interchangeable, etc

I see the difference. I just don't see the advantage. Had awd cars(Audi). Eh. I like rwd better.

Subies started as fwd designs. Impreza is a FWD design. it's sold in other countries as FWD. They just made a decision to. only sell AWD version in US.

Boxer engine... So what?

I see the difference. I just don't see the advantage. Had awd cars(Audi). Eh. I like rwd better.

Subies started as fwd designs. Impreza is a FWD design. it's sold in other countries as FWD. They just made a decision to. only sell AWD version in US.

Boxer engine... So what?

Actually some of the older ones were FWD shift on the fly to 4x4, which I actually preferred. Just depends on what you need, for snow country or off-road, Subaru AWD is a game changer. Though Subaru has made some only FWD cars, they have always been configured to be default AWD or 4x4 cars.

The subie engines are also a little diffrent than the inline 4s found on Hondas and toyotas, lower CG, and IMO easier to work on.

If the Impreza is not an econobox then what is it?

Also, the Impreza does not have a turbo. Only the WRX and WRX STi.

If the Impreza is not an econobox then what is it?

Also, the Impreza does not have a turbo. Only the WRX and WRX STi.

It's a AWD sedan, they have always walked the walk between car and SUV. In my mind a econo box is a inline 4 banger front wheel drive car, normally on pizza cutter looking tires, and with some lame axleless rear end.

It's a AWD sedan, they have always walked the walk between car and SUV. In my mind a econo box is a inline 4 banger front wheel drive car, normally on pizza cutter looking tires, and with some lame axleless rear end.
I think we have a difference of opinion of what constitutes an econobox. The Ford Pinto, Plymouth Colt and Chevy Chevette were econoboxes but were RWD.

Also, Subaru would have you believe that the Impreza is a car and the CrossTrek is what walks the line between car and SUV.

Who the heck cares how someone else categorizes your vehicle as long as it does what you want it to do?

I chuckle at the Lincoln ad running on TV now -- the guy is driving his car at a high speed ("closed course, professional driver, do not try this at home") while imaginary ATC communications are heard in the background. Obviously the guy is pretending to be flying.

Y'know, not once, while flying my almost-40-year-old 172, have I ever pretended I was driving a Lincoln.

Or anything else.

o_O

I chuckle at the Lincoln ad running on TV now -- the guy is driving his car at a high speed ("closed course, professional driver, do not try this at home") while imaginary ATC communications are heard in the background. Obviously the guy is pretending to be flying.
Infiniti, actually. You guys are really trying to bait my car-geek side, aren't you? :)

Actually some of the older ones were FWD shift on the fly to 4x4, which I actually preferred. Just depends on what you need, for snow country or off-road, Subaru AWD is a game changer. Though Subaru has made some only FWD cars, they have always been configured to be default AWD or 4x4 cars.

The subie engines are also a little diffrent than the inline 4s found on Hondas and toyotas, lower CG, and IMO easier to work on.

Current generation Impreza is sold in Japan as FWD.

Yes. Agree on AWD comment, but Snow tires solve my issues rather nicely and cheaper.

Engine.... Eh. Maybe. I've had 2 outbacks in my family. Oil leaks are standard.

Current generation Impreza is sold in Japan as FWD.

Yes. Agree on AWD comment, but Snow tires solve my issues rather nicely and cheaper.

Engine.... Eh. Maybe. I've had 2 outbacks in my family. Oil leaks are standard.

I haven't had too much of a issue with oil leaks, especially if you replace the seals during the timing belt MX event (based on miles).

My only qualm about the subie was when they went from the EJ2.2 which was a awsome engine to the 2.5 which had some head gasket issues.

Back