HP + complex time!

bladder capacity is another benefit to youth

don't most straight legs have ~50 gallons? serious handicap if you ask me. 38 gallon or whatever they are 172's drive me crazy. The FBO I worked at had long range (50 gallon) tanks in all theirs which was nice, you could actually go somewhere.

Our club's C-182P has 74 gallons useable. Obviously the long range tanks for 1974. Still greater capacity than my bladder. Our C-172N has the long range tanks, as well (50 gallons useable). That's 6 hours to tanks dry at 65% power. Far longer than I will sit in it, so there's a nice margin there.

i've never had any cooling issues with a 182RG. cowl flaps open usually for the climb (not always in the winter), closed all other times until turning off the runway if I remember.

not all of them. we tow gliders with the prototype. it doesn't have a cowl flap, and we don't have temperature issues with it. but there is a reason that most of them have the cowl flaps.

Don't forget the GUMPS check -

G - Gear - is it down?
U - Undercarriage - that's the same thing as "Gear" - so, is it down?
M - Metal, the sound of which you'll hear scraping unless you lower the gear. Is it down?
P - Prop, which is what you'll curl up and destroy, along with the engine, if you don't put the gear down. Is it down?
S - Slide, which you'll do on the runway, unless you make damned sure the gear is down. Is it?

---

Joking aside, I have this little piece of advice for flying the 182RG:

It is nose-heavy, compared to a 172, so make sure you have plenty of nose-up trim dialed in, or you'll be fighting to keep from hitting nosewheel first. Lots of 182s have had bent firewalls; this is why.

A 182rg gets you into the 150kt class which is pretty great. There is a big difference between 130 and 155kts

Don't forget the GUMPS check -

G - Gear - is it down?
U - Undercarriage - that's the same thing as "Gear" - so, is it down?
M - Metal, the sound of which you'll hear scraping unless you lower the gear. Is it down?
P - Prop, which is what you'll curl up and destroy, along with the engine, if you don't put the gear down. Is it down?
S - Slide, which you'll do on the runway, unless you make damned sure the gear is down. Is it?

---

Joking aside, I have this little piece of advice for flying the 182RG:

It is nose-heavy, compared to a 172, so make sure you have plenty of nose-up trim dialed in, or you'll be fighting to keep from hitting nosewheel first. Lots of 182s have had bent firewalls; this is why.

I came up with another checklist to compliment GUMP

F - Set Flaps for takeoff
A - Set altimeter
R - Take Runway, set DG to runway heading
T - TOGA throttle
S - Suck up Gear

Pretty ingenious I think.

I came up with another checklist to compliment GUMP

F - Set Flaps for takeoff
A - Set altimeter
R - Take Runway, set DG to runway heading
T - TOGA throttle
S - Suck up Gear

Pretty ingenious I think.

R - eally?!
O - h my God all these are getting redicilous.
F - or Goodness sakes we need more mnemonics!
L - eave a tip for your waiter.

Yaw damp and autopilot--Tested and Off
Gear down indication confirmed
Brakes checked
Set heading bug to runway heading.
Match DG and compass heading

R - eally?!
O - h my God all these are getting redicilous.
F - or Goodness sakes we need more mnemonics!
L - eave a tip for your waiter.

An IR is required to rent a 182? Oy vey...

: (

in our 182 RG, we use carb heat, so it's C GUMP

C -arb heat

G-as (tanks set to both)
U-ndercarriage (landing gear)
M-ixture
P-rop (full forward)

They'll teach you everything you need to know during your complex training. I just finished mine; it was very fun. I love putting the gear up and down, I don't know why.

in our 182 RG, we use carb heat, so it's C GUMP

C -arb heat

G-as (tanks set to both)
U-ndercarriage (landing gear)
M-ixture
P-rop (full forward)

They'll teach you everything you need to know during your complex training. I just finished mine; it was very fun. I love putting the gear up and down, I don't know why.

You use carb heat on landing? :confused:

It is in my club.
Usually the reason for requirements like that is better insurance rates. But at least with my 177RG, I was told that an IR would make little difference. With complex aircraft, they generally want to see time in retracts and time in make/model. For a 182RG, the only additional consideration I can think of would be greater range => more likely to run into unexpected weather => advantage IR.

Then again, I've never worked in insurance...

You use carb heat on landing? :confused:
yes. I think the POH says to do it before you close the throttle; I was trained to turn it on downwind. It's not my plane, I'm just renting, so I do as the chief instructor tells me.

yes. I think the POH says to do it before you close the throttle; I was trained to turn it on downwind. It's not my plane, I'm just renting, so I do as the chief instructor tells me.

In the C-150 I trained in, any time the RPM was below 2000, we pulled the carb heat.

So that would mean every landing.

Crazy I just looked through my POH and sure enough... It calls for carb heat. The trainers I learned it called for it off, so that's what I got used to. The guy who trained me in this said to have it off l, my cfi now tells me to have it off. Now I just don't know :/

BTW this was from a POH I dowloaded online. I'll be looking at mine on Tuesday assuming my plane is fixed and I can fly it.

Last edited:
Crazy I just looked through my POH and sure enough... It calls for carb heat. The trainers I learned it called for it off, so that's what I got used to. The guy who trained me in this said to have it off l, my cfi now tells me to have it off. Now I just don't know :/

BTW this was from a POH I dowloaded online. I'll be looking at mine on Tuesday assuming my plane is fixed and I can fly it.

If the POH and your CFI conflict, doesn't the POH win?

The whole hydraulic system is sketchy.....there is a reason the FAA is considering an AD for them.

lol, not sure I would go as far as sketchy. They have been flying for 35 years. If they were sketchy, we would have learned about it long before now.

lol, not sure I would go as far as sketchy. They have been flying for 35 years. If they were sketchy, we would have learned about it long before now.
Ya know what else has been around for 35 years? Bears.

220px-Medved_mzoo.jpg

Last edited:
In the C-150 I trained in, any time the RPM was below 2000, we pulled the carb heat.

So that would mean every landing.

In the C-152 I trained in, when abeam the numbers, I was to turn on carb heat, set power to 1500, and set the first notch of flaps to begin the descent.

I was not trained to fly this way in Piper Warriors/Archers however. :confused:

Can't you hear the hydro pump running? I know you can hear it briefly on take-off (as described in the checklist and POH)

I am gonna discuss the carb-heat thing with my different CFI's. I'm still baffled, probably because I did learn in a Piper.

I never heard it running. Alot of planes have a light installed that goes on when the hydraulic pump is on.

Back to the OP for a sec:

As most people here said, the time required all depends on the student. Do a lot of home study and ground work, and you'll get the endorsements in no time.

I did a bunch of home study and personal flight sim for complex, as well as read the POH many times along with lots of internet stuff. I completed the "oral" portion with the CFI on the walk out to the plane and during preflight. Just basic stuff about CS/VP props and gear safety warnings. We took the 172RG up, did a gear failure and manual extension in the pattern, stop-and-go, then full-stop landing. Logged .6 to get the endorsement. He said that was the bast complex ride he's seen, and I attribute it to all the homestudy.

Haven't done my HP yet, but it's planned for about a week, after I get my Multi-engine check-ride done. I also did a lot of groundwork, and my CFI said it shouldn't be more than an quick 1-hour local flight. We're also combining my classwork from CAMI in Oklahoma City to knock out my high-altitude endorsement at the same time.

Like I said, do a lot of home study and groundwork, and you'll greatly reduce the needed flight-time.

Another great check that I do on short-final every time now is "final gear, final clear." Double check the little green light(s) and visually look at the wheels (if possible). I find myself saying this now even in fixed-gear aircraft. I think it's a great little supplement to the GUMPS check done earlier.

Last edited:

What are you flying currently, and does the POH provided checklist call for carb heat on the pre landing checklist?

All of the cessna's I have flown that have carb heat (not injected) call for proactive use of carb heat when below a certain power setting, as in pre landing checklist.

If your POH calls for carb heat on the pre-landing checklist, USE IT and ignore your instructor. Unless the airplane's intake has somehow been modified via STC or an AD from its original configuration, and the modification states that carb heat is no longer to be used proactively.

David is right that on pipers you use carb heat reactively and not proactively. This is because their intake system is designed differently and is not as susceptible to carb ice than the cessna products.

I was looking at two planes. The 172 Hawk XP II, and the 182RG.

The hawk does 125 knots on 10-11 gph.

The 182 does 155 knots on 13 gph.

So both are in the ball park of 12 mpg. However for the same distance, the 182 is in the air shorter, so if your dry hourly fee is about the same, you start to save a little money there.

Where the 172 comes in cheeper, is if all you are doing is building hours. The cost per hour is less, even if the cost per mile comes out the same or more.

If you can find one that has not been abused, a 172RG cutlass II would beat the hawk in performance and cost less to run than the 182rg.

My dad owned one for five years. It had a 180hp 4cyl lycoming O-360, constant speed prop and 66gal tanks were standard. 6+hrs fuel and 135kts flight plan.

If you can find one that has not been abused, a 172RG cutlass II would beat the hawk in performance and cost less to run than the 182rg.

My dad owned one for five years. It had a 180hp 4cyl lycoming O-360, constant speed prop and 66gal tanks were standard. 6+hrs fuel and 135kts flight plan.

Thanks for the information. However the two I am looking at are share planes, as that's all I think I can afford at the moment.

So I have two very specific examples to chose from. Both I think are great planes.

What are you flying currently, and does the POH provided checklist call for carb heat on the pre landing checklist?

All of the cessna's I have flown that have carb heat (not injected) call for proactive use of carb heat when below a certain power setting, as in pre landing checklist.

If your POH calls for carb heat on the pre-landing checklist, USE IT and ignore your instructor. Unless the airplane's intake has somehow been modified via STC or an AD from its original configuration, and the modification states that carb heat is no longer to be used proactively.

David is right that on pipers you use carb heat reactively and not proactively. This is because their intake system is designed differently and is not as susceptible to carb ice than the cessna products.

1981 182RG (non-turbo, O-540). Like I said, it's on my "to check" list on Tuesday when I go to the airport.

Back