How to seaplane pilots do run ups?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
While watching a video of planes at the Osh seaplane base. It got me thinking, how to float plane pilots do run ups? I mean its not like they have breaks to apply.

Runnups are probably like a Army helicopter pilot…from long ( I don’t want to go to the field it’s August at FT Hood) to we’re getting shot at….(short and optional)…it’s an interesting question but I always assume modified running, just like being in line to leave Oshkosh..

Generally during slow taxi. Yoke back, rpm 1800, mags check and cycle prop. The only time it gets exciting is if the wind’s blowing and there are waves, or on a river when the current isn’t in your favor. The worst is taxiing downwind with chop. The prop will pick up splashed water. Not good for the prop.

I once flew to Vancouver on Harbour Air. They did a fast run-up as described above. I didn't notice if he pulled the yoke back.

Very quickly.

"rolling" run ups while taxiing, controls full aft to minimize prop spray.
From my brief experience, that's pretty much it. Pretty much what one might do with a rolling runup on pavement (assuming one wants/needs to do that). And we probably should mention that "Quickly" doesn't mean skipping things. Except when learning what to do, run-ups don't really take very long.

The same way you can do a rolling run-up in a ASEL or AMEL while taxiing for departure.

- Martin

:D

What always surprises me is when a pilot who has been flying a certain airplane for a good number of hours takes a loooooonnnnngggg time for the runup.
You oughta be able to do a run up in 30 seconds or less even with a carb'd constant speed setup.

"rolling" run ups while taxiing, controls full aft to minimize prop spray.

Except on my amphib flying boat, neutral since its a high mounted pusher. Also leave the wheels down for drag if required AND MAKE SURE TO RETRACT as the last THREE checks.

Cheers

Except on my amphib flying boat, neutral since its a high mounted pusher.
Wouldn't you *particularly* want aft controls with a high mounted pusher? That's going to create a forward moment and try to pitch you nose down.

What always surprises me is when a pilot who has been flying a certain airplane for a good number of hours takes a loooooonnnnngggg time for the runup.

May have had some exciting moments in said airplane.

The same way you can do a rolling run-up in a ASEL or AMEL while taxiing for departure.

- Martin
How you prevent hitting the plane behind you with prop wash and whatever you might kick up from the taxi way? I've never done a rolling run up BTW.

How you prevent hitting the plane behind you with prop wash and whatever you might kick up from the taxi way? I've never done a rolling run up BTW.
Helps keep tailgaters away ;)

You’d be less likely to kick stuff up doing a rolling run up than you would doing a stationary one. And you had better learn to do a rolling run up if you ever operate off gravel.

Same way you keep someone from rear ending you in rush hour traffic on I-285.

I had a float plane before I had a license. Maybe my wheel plane habits reflect my early years. I almost never do a stationary run-up. My house is 400' from the east threshold with a paved taxiway and I do my run-up in that space easily.

Same way you keep someone from rear ending you in rush hour traffic on I-285.
I still don't drive yet like an Atlanta driver. But from what I see, it would involve slowing down, letting the other plane pass on the taxi way, then run up right behind the plane and blare something like an air horn for 5 minutes straight. Atlanta drivers however will pull over and help after they've run you off the road. Southern hospitality meets Nascar.

I still don't drive yet like an Atlanta driver. But from what I see, it would involve slowing down, letting the other plane pass on the taxi way, then run up right behind the plane and blare something like an air horn for 5 minutes straight. Atlanta drivers however will pull over and help after they've run you off the road. Southern hospitality meets Nascar.

:rofl:

...... I've never done a rolling run up BTW.

threadjack warning. re: rolling runups, not seaplane ops.

Try looking at the airport diagram for San Diego Brown Field (SDM). Prevailing winds have one nearly always departing Rwy 26 vs. Rwy 8. From where I park (far west-end) to the departure end of 26 (taxiway Delta) is a pretty good haul, even if you choose an intersection departure, (taxiway Charlie).

By the time I make it to my takeoff point, it's been a mile+ long taxi. I've got most of the preflight process finished, and I'm darn-near-ready-to-go.

Linky-link: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2208/05814AD.PDF

Wouldn't you *particularly* want aft controls with a high mounted pusher? That's going to create a forward moment and try to pitch you nose down.
Thrust change pitching moments are pretty small in my plane.

Usually I can do the run up on land at the airport (and sometimes on the ramp after lunch or a stop) without a problem using the brakes. An advantage of an Amphib :cool:

Cheers

Same way you prevent hitting the plane behind you when doing a stationary run-up - don't do it when somebody is right behind you.

I don't do rolling run-ups often, but there are times when they come in handy, e.g. at large (Class B) airports where typically you won't find a run-up pad but the taxiways are long, and the expectation is you're ready to depart when you get to the runway.

- Martin

You oughta be able to do a run up in 30 seconds or less even with a carb'd constant speed setup.

I pulled this outta my orfices by sitting at my desk making engine sounds and playing with controls in my imagination.

This seems pretty do-able, without rushing, in a CS, Carb'd plane.

0:00-0:05 - set to runup power
0:05-0:08 - check one side of mags
0:08-0:10 - stabilize on both
0:10-0:13 - check other side of mags
0:13-0:15 - stabilize on both
0:15-0:21 - cycle prop 2x or 3x
0:21-0:25 - test carb heat
0:25-0:30 - reduce power to idle

*not included - any time for the glance at the vacuum gauge.

Runnups are probably like a Army helicopter pilot…from long ( I don’t want to go to the field it’s August at FT Hood) to we’re getting shot at….(short and optional)…it’s an interesting question but I always assume modified running, just like being in line to leave Oshkosh..

Or even while airborne…I assume you’re talking HIT check. ;)

Same way you prevent hitting the plane behind you when doing a stationary run-up - don't do it when somebody is right behind you.

I don't do rolling run-ups often, but there are times when they come in handy, e.g. at large (Class B) airports where typically you won't find a run-up pad but the taxiways are long, and the expectation is you're ready to depart when you get to the runway.

- Martin
1800 rpm doesn't produce much wash for a plane in trail at approx 800 rpm. If that guy was sniffing my tail he deserves what he gets. Giving that float planes have no brakes we tend to keep some space between us.

Some of them probably accumulated most of their time in type doing run ups.

Back