How to reinstate a CFI

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by GeorgiaFlyer, Nov 28, 2018.

1. GeorgiaFlyer

GeorgiaFlyer Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgiaFlyer
    I am currently grounded due medical certificate and unfortunately I let my CFI, CFII, MEI expire a few years ago. Does anyone know the process to reinstate it? I’d assume I would have to have a valid medical before I can start the process to get it reinstated correct? May be limited to a ground school instructor? Thanks for any responses

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. Walboy

Walboy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Walboy
    61.199 covers reinstatement.

You might call your FSDO and see if you'll have to reinstate with a ride with them or if they use a DPE. Most FSDOs are out of the checkride business these days, even for CFI. A busy flight school would probably have the answer to that question too.

If you qualify for basic med, I wouldn't think a medical is necessary.

GeorgiaFlyer likes this.
  3. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    I wouldn’t call the FSDO...there’s never been any guidance that says a reinstatement (or renewal, or additional rating checkride) needs to be done by an FAA inspector.

As far as a medical, if basic med isn’t an option, if you can get the DPE to act as PIC for the checkride, that would work, too.

GeorgiaFlyer likes this.
  4. Brad Z

Brad Z En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    FAA guidance to DPEs is to not act as PIC on a check ride. They don't prohibit it, but there's really no good reason to take the check ride before you become medically qualified, as you are so limited in what sort of flight instruction you can do without acting as PIC or as a required crew member.

5. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    You have to take a practical test, you may take that test with a DPE, and since you would be acting PIC during the test you probably need a current medical, but I would call a DPE and inquire if the medical is needed. The medical is not a requirement for the certificate, so it may not be required for the test.

GeorgiaFlyer likes this.
  6. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    61.23 says:

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person--
    (3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate--
    (iii) When taking a practical test in an aircraft for a recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot, or airline transport pilot certificate, or for a flight instructor certificate, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i); ​

61.13(i) is BasicMed

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  7. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Is he taking a practical test for a flight instructor certificate or taking a practical test for reinstatement of a certificate? With the way the FAA interprets regs I would ask.

8. GeorgiaFlyer

GeorgiaFlyer Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgiaFlyer
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I’ll do a little more research and reach out to a local DPE. Wasn’t sure if that is a question for the FSDO or a DPE.

9. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    From a response in a different thread, he is seeking to regain his CFI certificate.

10. saddletramp

saddletramp Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    saddletramp
    I reinstated my CFI two & a half years ago. I went to a DPE.

Since I personally knew the DPE & have thousands of hours of dual given, I figured the checkride would be a formality but studied my donkey off the month previous just in case. I also went out a did every private & commercial maneuver from the right seat until I felt I was proficient again.

My checkride ended up lasting over 8 hours! 4-5 hours oral test & then a 2 hour checkride! I was glad as hell that I took it serious & studied.

I asked the DPE if he was always so tough. He said he was extra hard on me because he didn't want me to think I could just waltz in & he'd hand me my CFI again.

I'm glad to have my CFI again & will never let it lapse again.

TysonG likes this.
  11. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    @Clip4 apparent sees a possible distinction between a practical test for a flight instructor certificate the first time and a practical test to regain it if it has expired.

12. kgruber

kgruber En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywag
    I "think" you can get your glider CFI, and that will reinstate all the others.

More fun..............

13. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    ...and no medical required! Good idea!

kgruber and GeorgiaFlyer like this.
  14. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    If your medical issues don’t knock you out of Sport Pilot privileges, you could renew or add a rating in a Light Sport aircraft.

GeorgiaFlyer likes this.