How to live more than 178 seconds.. And kinda called out Redneck Pilot!

Haha. Who did the voiceover?

I liked it, but just like doctors and lawyers sometimes get about legal and medical shows (and pilots get about media coverage of aviation), I admit I cringed a bit at the "night currency" line since there was no one else in the cockpit.

I liked it, but just like doctors and lawyers sometimes get about legal and medical shows (and pilots get about media coverage of aviation), I admit I cringed a bit at the "night currency" line since there was no one else in the cockpit.

I left out the back story where this plane is a rental from a Flight Club and they have an edict in there bylaws that says if you're not night current you have to be back 30 minutes before Sunrise. Duh

I left out the back story where this plane is a rental from a Flight Club and they have an edict in there bylaws that says if you're not night current you have to be back 30 minutes before Sunrise. Duh

The first rule of Flight Club is....

Oh, so you get to fly all night?

Curious, if you're not night current and I assume you meant sunset...how does a club member get night current?

You sure? 6PC's videos are like a reality show. :D Survivor, Jersey Shore, The Real World, Big Brother....
And so far they have all featured a real airplane....so far

As your video only lasted 174 seconds which is not more than 178 seconds, I'm not convinced.

Plus, I was waiting for you to fall off the wing and break your neck upon exiting the plane.

Good stuff regardless.

Alright, Br-Y-an, you called me out. Here's my answer. Careful what you wish for.

That was awesome!

You haven’t lived until you’ve had to use your flight bag in a lower intestinal emergency. By the way, on a completely unrelated topic, anybody want to buy a slightly used flight bag?

Last edited:
So I'll admit to either having never seen or completely forgotten about the original 178 seconds to live video.

And yet the internet has not found the LearBaron video. :(

So I'll admit to either having never seen or completely forgotten about the original 178 seconds to live video.

And yet the internet has not found the LearBaron video. :(
It's a pretty annoying video, given that the 178-seconds figure was derived with the artificial horizon, directional gyro, and rate-of-climb indicator covered, using pilots who hadn't even received basic hood training (which was later made a requirement in the private pilot syllabus). (See Table II and page 11 of this paper.)

In defense of the study, the reason they stacked the deck like that was that they were creating a scenario in which all of the test subjects would fail, so that they could test proposed recovery strategies.

Last edited:
It's a pretty annoying video, given that the 178-seconds figure was derived with the artificial horizon, directional gyro, and rate-of-climb indicator covered, using pilots who hadn't even received basic hood training (which was later made a requirement in the private pilot syllabus). (See Table II and page 11 of this paper.)

In defense of the study, the reason they stacked the deck like that was that they were creating a scenario in which all of the test subjects would fail, so that they could test proposed recovery strategies.
That's what I did too.

Back