How to learn to do owner allowed maintenance?

You know what I meant. Don't try to peg my sarcasm meter this late in the game.

So this flush the engine with kerosene thing....is that...um...an approved method by the industry? ;)

After he looks it up, he will tell you chapter 11 only applies to light sport aircraft engines, which does include some Lycoming and Continental engines. There may be other references out there, I just stumbled upon that one quickly.

You mean "I just found this on Google, where I get all of my knowledge regarding general aviation".

TimBeck, what type aircraft do you own? Does it have a maintenance manual? If so, your guys are clearly deviating from it, which I'm sure they are not documenting. That has you publicly admitting maintenance falsification.

Where did you get that I have a problem with using them? My point was that there is really no need for them which I will revise to say, for most people. I learned to safety by hand first. But, there are people out there that insist that pliers damage the safety wire and shouldn't be used. I'm not one of those people.
The biggest problem I see with people using them is they. over twist with them.

Bob

TimBeck, what type aircraft do you own? Does it have a maintenance manual? If so, your guys are clearly deviating from it, which I'm sure they are not documenting. That has you publicly admitting maintenance falsification.

So turn me in, big guy. Although my name is one letter off from your normal urination distance competition partner, I'm not him. You want to argue, go find someone else.

Log entry for an oil change reads: "Changed oil and filter using Tempest filter, part number XXXXXX with six quarts of Phillips XXXX weight. Used DC-4 on filter gasket and tightened filter to XX ft lbs and safetied with .032 wire."

So this flush the engine with kerosene thing....is that...um...an approved method by the industry? ;)
yes it is.
many times has the major manufacturers advised the metal making engines be flushed. Kerosene ? what's better?
got some magic soap and water you'd like to use?

In my little corner of the world, the "industry" consists of three A&Ps and two IA's that do this on a regular basis. Plus I'm the aircraft owner and I approve it. First time I changed the oil, my mechanic told me to let the oil drain but don't take off the old filter, which I did. Then he punched a hole in the filter and blew air through it and at least another half quart of dirty oil came out. The oil filter was then removed with hardly a drip. I was sold on the practice.

I should also mention that the hole is punched near the top of the filter, not in the middle. That way you're not blowing the air directly onto the filter media.
Next you do this make a vid, I want to see how much oil is left in the filter when you take it off.

Nope. I keep my engine from making metal by blowing it all out of the filter at oil change. ;)

Next you do this make a vid, I want to see how much oil is left in the filter when you take it off.

Enough to get your hands good and slippery when you try to cut the media loose but not enough to leak all over the place when you remove the filter.

Nope. I keep my engine from making metal by blowing it all out of the filter at oil change. ;)
I doubt you'll do that, but I also doubt you'll get much oil out of the filter.

Enough to get your hands good and slippery when you try to cut the media loose but not enough to leak all over the place when you remove the filter.
Why worry about it? your going to wash the engine anyway.

Why worry about it? your going to wash the engine anyway.

I keep my engine and airplane clean throughout the year and usually forego the wash at annual. It's the hangar floor that I'm more worried about since I can never boresight a drip pan correctly. ;)

I keep my engine and airplane clean throughout the year and usually forego the wash at annual. It's the hangar floor that I'm more worried about since I can never boresight a drip pan correctly. ;)
There cleaners for those too. "ZEP concrete and driveway cleaner" strongest soap I've ever seen.

Great! Instead of kerosene I'll just use that stuff to flush it out and have it clean as a whistle! ;)

Log entry for an oil change reads: "Changed oil and filter using Tempest filter, part number XXXXXX with six quarts of Phillips XXXX weight. Used DC-4 on filter gasket and tightened filter to XX ft lbs and safetied with .032 wire."
There's a reason they were so vague, instead of "Changed oil and filter in accordance with manufacturers maintenance manual". Guess why.

Yeah, have been through the same ****ing match with Tom. To be honest, I could care less how any of you do s-h-i-t, it's what you tell others to do that bothers me.

Last edited:
Well, I guess you're gonna need at least six pairs of handcuffs to haul all us oil changin' sinners into aircraft maintenance jail Glenn. Bring your handbook, I'm sure my IA that is a retired Seattle cop would like to read it.

There's a reason they were so vague, instead of "Changed oil and filter in accordance with manufacturers maintenance manual". Guess why.

Yeah, have been through the same ****ing match with Tom. To be honest, I could care less how any of you do s-h-i-t, it's what you tell others to do that bothers me.
No Pizzing contest Glen, it's just too humorous you believe there are required instructions on how to change oil.

Simple 43 or 21. doesn't require it.

"using your right hand, approach the oil filter at a 94 degree angle and cut the safety wire with a pair of FAA approved diagonal cutters...."

No Pizzing contest Glen, it's just too humorous you believe there are required instructions on how to change oil.
Shows your lack of experience. The 757, for example, has two engine options, with several filter options, all with different installation instructions, some requiring feeler gauge measurements. Maybe you don't just crank the filter down on every engine, might want to check those manuals.

I know, that wasn't fair, Tom. Hey, you worked on the TC-4C, maybe you can tell me some specifics on the Rolls Royce Dart oil filter? Come on show us that experience.

Simple 43. doesn't require it.
Really, we have to rehash this again, Tom....

Generally, we have an option for maintenance entries, 1. a description (or 2. reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed. (43.9)

There are exceptions.

Maintenance entrie requirements for inspections can be different than that, particularly if the aircraft is inspected under an inspection program... inspections and procedures for that particular program are followed [43.11(7)] which applies to parts 91, 125 and 135

The inspection program I work under requires the maintenance manual reference to be used whenever there is one for a specific task.

Ok, that all, only pertains to maintenance entries. It says nothing about what we are required to do.

So, we have 65.81(b) A mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless he understands the current instructions of the manufacturer, and the maintenance manuals, for the specific operation concerned.

And people admit they ignore the maintenance manual and do whatever they want and make a vague maintenance entry.

I useta be a mechanic in the IndyCar series. In the garage and in the pits we used two 244 cf nitrogen cylinders. The regulator on the cylinder used for filling tires and small pneumatic tools was set at 100 PSI. The cylinder used to run the wheel nut guns was set at 400 PSI.

Steel cages on the cylinder valves and regulator were used, and enforcement of securing the cylinders in the upright position was strict.

Needless to say, the job of setting up and taking them down was considered to be important, and the guy pulling the wheel gun and hose back over the wall after the RF tire was changed during a pit stop had to do his job properly without fail.

If the car ran over the hose leaving the pits and tore the fitting off the hose, it was a serious safety hazard, as you might surmise.
Fyi, we service with 3,000 psi all the time.

not on the little planes....we fly.
Carrier based military aircraft often use 400 PSI, we serviced struts and tire from hat we called a N2 cart. 6 large bottles on a roll around cart. fun to handle on a pitching deck.

Carrier based military aircraft often use 400 PSI, we serviced struts and tire from hat we called a N2 cart. 6 large bottles on a roll around cart. fun to handle on a pitching deck.
Go ahead and explain the reason for so many bottles on the cart, some might not know.

We'll wait. Of course, maybe Tom doesn't know. He did make it sound like Earth shattering news that a Nitrogen cart would be call an N2 cart...

Last edited:
yes it is.
many times has the major manufacturers advised the metal making engines be flushed. Kerosene ? what's better?
got some magic soap and water you'd like to use?

Kinda reminds me of the oil dilution systems, never tried to use the one on my plane, but it's interesting

I am completely ignorant when it comes to mechanical stuff. I own some basic tools, and have done very minimal mechanical maintenance on my cars and around the house.

I am interested in learning how to properly do some minor mechanical stuff on the plane, maybe spark plugs, oil changes and the like. I can ask my mechanic to show me, but he's pretty busy and I don't want to be a PIA. Plus I'd like to have some idea what I'm doing so I don't completely embarrass myself.

What are some good ways to start learning about basic mechanical stuff for a complete neophyte?

Thanks.

Best to learn what is accepted practice before adding your own .02 cents. AC43.13, your aircraft's maintenance manual, your aircraft's engine maintenance manual, the FAA Handbooks for A&P's. Remember that owner maintenance still needs to be documented and certified. Don't do anything you are not willing to defend with more than "I read it on the internet".

Blowing air into an engine is not what I would consider an industry accepted practice, but whatever floats your boat (ie: not my licence on the line). Blowing air into "other orifices" is what some people love to do! ;)

PS Forgot to also add shadowing a competent mechanic and asking questions.

Last edited:
Back