How to learn to do owner allowed maintenance?

How long do you let the oil drain? That's to everyone.
It depends. Usually drain while hot so draining lasts until it cools down or overnight if beer is required ASAP.

It depends. Usually drain while hot so draining lasts until it cools down or overnight if beer is required ASAP.
what purpose does that serve? You like to make sure all the contaminates are stirred before draining? :D

draining it hot. Maybe it runs out more faster? :D
Really? Let me know how that cold 100 wt drains on a 30 degree F morning.

Better yet, what purpose would it serve to drain it cold?

True. But in either instance if you allow it to drain till it doesn't drip anymore you've done about the best you can do, other than varying the position of the engine to get more oil out of low pockets.
I'm thinking film thickness as a function of temperature. It gets complicated for the multi-viscosity oils fer sure.

Anyway, I can drain the oil with little exposure to a burn. Can't say the same about changing the filter when hot. That's pretty much a non-starter so I usually drain when hot then change the filter after it's cooled off. Depending on available time that means drain after parking the airplane then change the filter when I can in the next day or two.

Appreciate all of the replies. My IA isn't a fan of owner assisted annuals, but the other suggestions are doable.
I Certainly wouldn't go off doing any of these things without appropriate oversight and assistance, btw.
Thanks again to all.

Appreciate all of the replies. My IA isn't a fan of owner assisted annuals, but the other suggestions are doable.
I Certainly wouldn't go off doing any of these things without appropriate oversight and assistance, btw.
Thanks again to all.

Id look for a new IA.

Couldn't imaging owning without owner assist annuals, and all the top notch IAs I've met actually like owner assist and having mx educated clients.

How long do you let the oil drain? That's to everyone.

I start draining it right after a flight and leave it overnight. Come back the next day to uncowl the engines and do the rest.

Id look for a new IA.

Couldn't imaging owning without owner assist annuals, and all the top notch IAs I've met actually like owner assist and having mx educated clients.

:yeahthat:

The more I understand about the details of how the plane works the more confident I am flying it.

Id look for a new IA.

Agree, especially since we know there's OP undocumented maintenance going on. It's in the mechanic's interest to help OP's gain experience.

The bulk of the reputable shops in my area do not do owner assisted annuals. You pretty much have to go to the shade tree/one man show type guys for that. If that is what you guys are referring to as "top notch" then perhaps...

Several people would still be alive if they had not used a high pressure regulator when inflating tires.
99.44% of GA owners don't own a high pressure bottle, best they will have is some thing bought at Walmart.

I have several owners that believe it's best to stay in their field of expertise, and pay me to tend to their aircraft's needs.

The bulk of the reputable shops in my area do not do owner assisted annuals. You pretty much have to go to the shade tree/one man show type guys for that. If that is what you guys are referring to as "top notch" then perhaps...

That's been quite the opposite in my experience.

The big name shops with the pretty signs and marble floors don't often do owner assist, but a marble floor does not make for quality work per say.

Thanks again to all.
Funny, my AI requires owner participation in annuals. Aside from not wanting to do the grunt work, he feels that the owner knows best what is going on with the aircraft and can bring things up needing his attention. But he is not full time, does this on the side. I like it. After four years of owner assisted annuals I know every inch of my aircraft...that I just sold.

Perhaps anothe AI?

Last edited:
Funny, my AI requires owner participation in annuals. Aside from not wanting to do the grunt work, he feels that the owner knows best what is going on with the aircraft and can bring things up needing his attention. But he is not full time, does this on the side. I like it. After four years of owner assisted annuals I know every inch of my aircraft...that I just sold.
this!!!.....the one who operates it knows it better than anyone else.

We always do oil changes with hot oil - ASAP after shutdown. The contaminants should all be in suspension in the oil and not yet settled out and laying in the bottom of the pan.

One of the best oil changing tips I've learned is to punch a hole in the oil filter at the top and blow compressed air into it as the oil drains. (get a blower attachment with the rubber around the tip) This clears out the oil in the filter and possibly allowing more oil to be drained from the pan. It is MUCH cleaner when you unscrew the filter - so clean that I have no drips to clean up. Additionally, keep the air pressure low at first or you will blow oil all over the place out of the drain hose. As the oil drains, use more air pressure until nothing comes out.

Effective too. I will caveat by admitting my oil filter is horizontal near the top of the engine. For the Continental guys with the filter at an angle, my tip will not be AS clean because the oil will start to drain before you get the air to the hole in the filter.

My old mechanic divided her customers into two categories: those who would turn a wrench on their plane and "just pilots."

One day while we were taking a lunch break during the annual a man walked in and said he thought his battery had a problem. Bobbi told him to pull it out and bring it in and she'd test it. He just gave her a blank look. "Oh, I forgot. You're just a pilot. Ron, go help him get his battery out."

My old mechanic divided her customers into two categories: those who would turn a wrench on their plane and "just pilots."

One day while we were taking a lunch break during the annual a man walked in and said he thought his battery had a problem. Bobbi told him to pull it out and bring it in and she'd test it. He just gave her a blank look. "Oh, I forgot. You're just a pilot. Ron, go help him get his battery out."

Women can be airplane mechanics? ( ***runs and hides*** ):eek:

I have several owners that believe it's best to stay in their field of expertise, and pay me to tend to their aircraft's needs.

Yes, and I am quite certain every one of those "several owners" would also say building an airplane is outside everyone else's expertise too.

One of the best oil changing tips I've learned is to punch a hole in the oil filter at the top and blow compressed air into it as the oil drains. (get a blower attachment with the rubber around the tip) This clears out the oil in the filter and possibly allowing more oil to be drained from the pan. It is MUCH cleaner when you unscrew the filter - so clean that I have no drips to clean up. Additionally, keep the air pressure low at first or you will blow oil all over the place out of the drain hose. As the oil drains, use more air pressure until nothing comes out.

Isn't that also the exact opposite direction of the oil flow in the filter? A good way to blow all the crap the filter caught right back into the engine?

Back