How to know who to contact for departure clearance?

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
Still working on my instrument rating and have a question. If I'm at an uncontrolled airport that's unknown to me, is there a good way to know how to contact a controller for an IFR departure clearance? Do you just start on the radio and if nobody answers, then get out the phone while sitting on the taxiway? Are instructions listed in an airport directory?

Chart Supplement, ForeFlight

Uncontrolled: mostly either pick it up in the air, or call national clearance. Small chance there is a GCO and or frequency for a nearby clearance delivery

Class D: usually ground, or GCO

Class C/B: clearance delivery

One example...
CA06CE1A-1DAB-4A9C-B09F-0FFE596610FC.jpeg

If you need to pick up a clearance on the ground, unless there is a GCO, just call on the phone. I did call on the phone once at an unfamiliar airport and was finally told to contact the GCO. So it is best to check for one before picking up the phone.

As a Garmin pilot user, does anyone know where to look there?

Like this?

2774254e3d3f2876232893c356b72eca.jpg

Yes, except sometimes there is no clearance delivery like this.
I know that on the ground at this airport, I can get Minneapolis center on 134.0. Any idea how I would know that at an unfamiliar airport?

Attachments

• IMG_2079.PNG
    IMG_2079.PNG
    71.3 KB · Views: 43
If there’s a frequeny at the field it will be listed on one of the approach plates for the airport as well.

Absent other information, call Flight Service 1-800-wxbrief and get a void time clearance. You find this in the AIM.

Still working on my instrument rating and have a question. If I'm at an uncontrolled airport that's unknown to me, is there a good way to know how to contact a controller for an IFR departure clearance? Do you just start on the radio and if nobody answers, then get out the phone while sitting on the taxiway? Are instructions listed in an airport directory?

Ouija Board

Yes, except sometimes there is no clearance delivery like this.
I know that on the ground at this airport, I can get Minneapolis center on 134.0. Any idea how I would know that at an unfamiliar airport?
In that instance you are just lucky. It’s possible someone could have left that type of useful clearance hack in the remarks or comments section on ForeFlight?

Probably something of value to have this discussion with your instructor.

Does the airport have an instrument approach?

If yes, the appropriate frequency is in the approach charts.

If no, the appropriate frequency is in the AFD.

If still no, use the one from a nearby airport.

Is that wrong? When you call, they will give you the right one.

This is not brain surgery.

888-766-8276 is the national clearance line. I've used it a few times and it worked fine.

Often if I’m unfamiliar and can’t find it in the AFD or elsewhere, I’ll just ask the last controller I speak to on the way in. Just did this last week actually.

“Ft Worth Center, how low does your radio coverage go near XXX?”
“We can get you down to the ground on xxx.xx!”

In this case, the question was whether the weather (MVFR) was going to be good enough for me to get my clearance in the air or not, if for instance their radio coverage only went down to 2500 AGL. Since the coverage went down to the surface, there was no issue and I didn’t have to call FSS on the phone.

Often if I’m unfamiliar and can’t find it in the AFD or elsewhere, I’ll just ask the last controller I speak to on the way in. Just did this last week actually.

“Ft Worth Center, how low does your radio coverage go near XXX?”
“We can get you down to the ground on xxx.xx!”

In this case, the question was whether the weather (MVFR) was going to be good enough for me to get my clearance in the air or not, if for instance their radio coverage only went down to 2500 AGL. Since the coverage went down to the surface, there was no issue and I didn’t have to call FSS on the phone.
I do that with phone numbers too. Coming into a nontowered field I've gotten into the habit of asking if there is a good number to contact them directly from the ground for a clearance on the way out.

Yes this.

Also, if you are working on your IR, this is something that your CFI should have probably taught you

Thanks to everyone. Yes, I will discuss this with my instructor but he's out of town until Friday.

It sounds to me that there is no "official" publication that tells if a controller can be contacted from the ground at a certain airport.

Yes, I know the different procedures and how to look it up in the AIM. I was just looking for real world knowledge of how this is handled at unknown airports. It sounds like most people just try the radio and if they don't get a response, they just call on the phone.

I get the sense that folks don't carry / use the A/FD anymore, relying on their magic boxes instead. Sometimes tried and true is the way to go...

FF has the A/FD in there as well.

You will always find it in the AF/D which is now called the chart supplement IIRC. The AFtD info is available for download with every EFB app, and may come integrated with your mapping program under airport info. You will find there a clearance frequency, remote communication frequency or a phone number.

Thanks to everyone. Yes, I will discuss this with my instructor but he's out of town until Friday.

It sounds to me that there is no "official" publication that tells if a controller can be contacted from the ground at a certain airport.

Yes, I know the different procedures and how to look it up in the AIM. I was just looking for real world knowledge of how this is handled at unknown airports. It sounds like most people just try the radio and if they don't get a response, they just call on the phone.
@lancie00 ,this is mainly adding to what the others have said. As a Garmin Pilot user and just a lowly PPL, I have found that GP does not always list all frequencies on the 'FREQ' tab for the selected airport. But that doesn't mean they are not there. And as others have already said, use the A/FD. For Garmin Pilot to get to the A/FD do the following:

1.) Tap on the airport to get selection wheel thingy
2.) Select the airport symbol
3.) Select the "FREQ" tab. See if what you want is there.
4.) If it is not there (and it won't be for a lot of small airports in Minnesota) then click the 'I' that is in a white circle
5.) Now the A/FD button shows up.
6.) Select it and then look as others have shown.

...here in Minnesota I have had to do this for several small airports. I wish Garmin would just populate the A/FD information onto the 'FREQ' tab. I am guessing FF might be better here.

I don't know IR stuff yet but I do know if you do the following you will also find a frequency. Once again, others have mentioned this so here is the Garmin Pilot way to get the approach plate overlaid over the airport and at the top you will see the frequency

1.) Tap on the airport to get selection wheel thingy
2.) Select the airport symbol
3.) Select the "PROC" tab.
4.) Select an instrument approach
5.) The approach plate will now be overlaid on the map
6.) At near the top and centered will be the frequency.

...I believe this is the frequency you would use to contact them at this location. I just flew back from Alexandria (KAXN) last night and the frequency I used was the same as the one listed on the approach plate.

I have found that I often need to be at least 1000agl and often even higher than 1500agl to establish good contact. Also, if you get the wrong one and they can hear you they are great about getting you to the right frequency.

I get the sense that folks don't carry / use the A/FD anymore, relying on their magic boxes instead. Sometimes tried and true is the way to go...
I always have one in the plane for our region. Its out of date after my checkride but IMHO better than nothing at all.

@lancie00 - if you are in Minnesota, there is nice Minnesota Airports book published once a year. I don't have one in front of me but it might have these frequencies. Doesn't help you much in other states though :(

888-766-8276 is the national clearance line. I've used it a few times and it worked fine.

These three work for me. I've always been based at uncontrolled fields; two had approaches [look at one of the plates], two did not. Of the approachless bases, one was near a Class D, I would call them on the ground or in the air; once or twice I couldn't reach them, so like now, call the free 888 number.

Works just fine . . . .

You can often find a phone number for Clearance Delivery (usually a TRACON) in airports near major urban areas. Its in the AFD/Chart Supplement. Here's the one from KTTN.

Capture.JPG

This is a pet peeve of mine, you will find a frequency that will get you clearance delivery in the air in the AFD/chart supplements or foreflight. You will find a phone number that will get you there as well. What you will not find is if you can make that radio call on the ground.

I happen to know at my home airport I can call Kansas City Center from the ground and they have a relay so they'll hear me and I can get clearance that way. Not every airport has that. As far as I know the only way to find out is to ask a local who just knows or key your mic and try to call them. Calling on the radio before you take off is really the nicest way to go and if the clouds are low enough making contact in the air may not be an option. I don't understand why this information isn't in the AFD, it seems like something that should be published.

An additional problem like knowing if they have radio working on the ground is that some fields(like my home field) have fancy things like a GCO, where you click X times to get directly to Seattle Center via phone. But the only way you'll ever know it exists is to walk into the FBO and ask as they still don't have it on their website or chart supplement.

This is a pet peeve of mine, you will find a frequency that will get you clearance delivery in the air in the AFD/chart supplements or foreflight. You will find a phone number that will get you there as well. What you will not find is if you can make that radio call on the ground.

I happen to know at my home airport I can call Kansas City Center from the ground and they have a relay so they'll hear me and I can get clearance that way. Not every airport has that. As far as I know the only way to find out is to ask a local who just knows or key your mic and try to call them. Calling on the radio before you take off is really the nicest way to go and if the clouds are low enough making contact in the air may not be an option. I don't understand why this information isn't in the AFD, it seems like something that should be published.
So how many uncontrolled airports can you make a call to Clearance/Delivery on the ground?

I haven't flown out of many Delta's but they seem to give the clearance delivery frequencies over the ATIS? Sometimes it is also the Delta's Ground frequency but at least it is given via the ATIS which you have to listen too anyway.

So how many uncontrolled airports can you make a call to Clearance/Delivery on the ground?

Not many to an actual designated CD frequency unless you are adjacent to a B/C...but most chart supplements will have a remark like this:
  • FOR CD CTC NORCAL APCH AT 916-361-3748.
So at my home field I need to contact NorCal for my clearance and I can reach NorCal frequency on the ground vs call that land line, but that capability is not published anywhere.

Last edited:
I haven't flown out of many Delta's but they seem to give the clearance delivery frequencies over the ATIS? Sometimes it is also the Delta's Ground frequency but at least it is given via the ATIS which you have to listen too anyway.

Around here, it's rare for class D airports to say anything about clearance delivery on the ATIS.

Around here, it's rare for class D airports to say anything about clearance delivery on the ATIS.
Maybe an oops on my part. I know they give the frequencies when I call in to hear the ATIS, it's at the tail end. But when I listen in the air I now don't recall them giving the frequencies. My bad :(

Maybe an oops on my part. I know they give the frequencies when I call in to hear the ATIS, it's at the tail end. But when I listen in the air I now don't recall them giving the frequencies. My bad :(
Just because it's rare here doesn't prove that it doesn't happen where you fly.

Back