How to get 15 hours one one tank

Eight posts in a row almost entirely devoid of content. POA isn't your personal twitter account.

Give the guy a break. He's promoting them in general as a means to increase safety - which they certainly do. Maui is dead on right. AOA is the cure for most of the fatal low level spins, base to turn stalls, skidded turn flips etc. We should have hitched our wagon to AoA decades ago and not to airspeed.

Some people say a man is made out of mud
A poor man's made out of muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's weak and a back that's strong

You fly fifteen hours and whattaya get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter don'cha call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one morning when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my headset and I walked to the line
I flew fifteen hours in hard IMC,
And the dispatcher said, "Well, bless my soul"

I was born one morning, it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the Cane break by an old mama lion
Can't no high-toned woman make me walk the line

If you see me comin' better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha then the left one will

Funny today I had a guy who never flew a Cirrus. Hadn't flown in 30 years. Taught him AoA. Blue donut flare was maybe 2-3 degrees. Perfect greasers. My tires look brand new and they are six months old.
And I greased a 172 twice yesterday, WELL below max L/D at touchdown. In fact, the stall warning was going off. Trying to set it down 20 knots faster is ... not a good idea. And the prop, nosegear, and firewall are much bigger concerns than the tires.

Approach speed was much faster than L/D max for one because I was on a best forward speed LPV (presumably jet traffic following). For the other, it was a bit slower after breakout, about 60 knots.

I think you're taking this AoA thing one step too far. No way I'm landing at best glide, and even as an approach speed, that results in excessive float in a 172. It can serve a very useful training purpose in maneuvering flight, but you don't seem to have a handle on what it does for the case you are pushing.

The speed changes with full flaps. It's all about pressure differential over the wing. The delta is not 20 knots when transitions from on speed AoA to flare. It's minor.
If your AoA meter reads max L/D with the stall warning going off, it's both broken and useless, full flaps or not.

When landing, you want the plane to stop flying. At max L/D, it will keep flying as well as it can. While it's possible to fly a trike onto the runway, it has very little margin for error.

Does the new AOA make me ADS-B out compliant?

One more thing I forgot, at max l/d at that configuration it's flying a descent, not an energy level for straight and level. That requires power. So, if you yank the stick back you will not have the energy to climb very much. If idle power on touchdown at blue donut the aircraft has the right amount of energy. Also there is no squeak of the tires because they were not even stressed on the landing.
Yes, and you will float excessively when you do that. It may be fine with a 7000 foot runway, but I land on fields 1/3 as long. Correctly done, normal landings are not difficult at all. But your video showed 6 seconds of float after round out -- that's around 500 feet. That would make a landing "interesting," and it's well above ACS standards.

Your flare is "slight" because you're landing fast and flat. You'll be quite vulnerable to a gust of wind or small error in pitch in that configuration. That's firmly in PIO territory, so small errors get larger.

I've used AoA indicators before, but you claim it's inconsistent with the stall warning, which is also a rudimentary AoA indicator. If the stall warning indicates an imminent stall and the AoA indicator doesn't, one of them is wrong.

You've used the term "peak AoA" to refer to AOA for max endurance, AOA for L/Dmax (they are the same for a jet but not for a recip), and approach AOA (which I understand you to say should be at L/Dmax but I'm not sure). None of these angles of attack are near a 'peak'. What does that term really mean to you and why did you choose it?d

Used interchangeably. It is max l/d.

From the US Navy Aerodynamics Manual

With Nauga and others, not understanding the usage of "peak AoA" in this situation. Also not seeing any reference to it in your links. Am I missing it?

Back