How to fly LOC RWY 30C approach at KIWA w/out DME?

jeff0000

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jeff0000
I'm just learning about IFR approaches and was wondering how I would fly the LOC RWY 30C approach at KIWA (Phoenix Mesa Gateway).

The chart has the ILS and LOC approach on the same plate. I'm looking at the version from skyvector.com (it's also attached to this post).

The top-left lists the "LOC I-IWA" navaid with a single underlined frequency. It doesn't have a channel number, so I'm assuming that it doesn't have DME. I also confirmed this in X-Plane 11 in the sim. On the chart, I also see "IWA" (as opposed to I-IWA) in the top-down view, which is a VOR, and it has DME (it says Chan 80 below the morse code identifiers).

SNOWL INT is listed with (IAF) - initial approach fix.

On the vertical profile of the SID, SNOWL is listed as being 6.4 DME from IWA (not I-IWA).

If I were to fly this approach, would I put in I-IWA (110.15) in my NAV1 radio and get the LOC signal? If yes, how would I know when I was 6.4 DME away from IWA (not I-IWA) at SNOWL to start the approach?

Attachments

• 00074IL30C.PDF
    399.4 KB · Views: 32
TFD R028 in Nav2 if you don't have DME.
IWA DME If you do have DME. DME unit's are typically switchable between NAV1 and NAV2.

(GPS if you have that)
upload_2018-4-29_6-51-12.jpeg

Last edited:
..............................................................................................................................................................................
......how would I know when I was 6.4 DME away from IWA (not I-IWA) at SNOWL to start the approach?

You don't need to. SNOWL is an intersection, SNOWL INT. Just like IVVRY and WOBOY. They are also DME fixes which makes things easier if you have DME, or an authorized substitute like GPS, but you don't need it.

Last edited:
If you don't have it you can expect to get an 'alternate' Missed Approach Procedure. It will take you to TFD.

The primary missed approach is to the IWA VOR and hold. No alternate needed if you don't have DME. The alternate missed approach to TFD will only be assigned if the IWA VOR is out of service. Note that this approach also has a TACAN missed approach and a TACAN alternate missed approach. (TACAN aircraft can't hold directly over the facility due to signal coverage limitations.)

The primary missed approach is to the IWA VOR and hold. No alternate needed if you don't have DME. The alternate missed approach to TFD will only be assigned if the IWA VOR is out of service. Note that this approach also has a TACAN missed approach and a TACAN alternate missed approach. (TACAN aircraft can't hold directly over the facility due to signal coverage limitations.)
Yeah I saw that right after posting that and reading the Missed procedure instead of just 'looking' at it and edited it out. For anyone wondering, I had said that if you don't have DME you will get an Alternate Missed Approach Procedure, which is untrue. My bad

That is a busy chart with both a TACAN Alternate Missed Approach Fix and an Alternate Missed Approach Fix. Not an easy nuance to understand.

YESSS! I flew this all the time for my IR training. In my Cherokee with Dual VORs and old King KX170Bs. No DME. That approach isn’t nearly as bad as it looks. Just use your second VOR to identify SNOWL.

Later on we got the Garmin G5 HSI and a GNC255 radio so I actually had one radio with standby frequencies which made a world of difference. Interestingly the GNC255 gives you full DME info but it is not DME certified. However, my IR examiner let me use the DME on that radio for all approaches, which was so much nicer than timing. I guess it was a topic at the FSDO not too long ago and he said they have no issue with using it for DME so long as it is VFR conditions. Which makes sense. Anyways...

My instructor used to have me shoot the ILS then the published missed, hold in the published hold, fly outbound on the 123 radial, do the procedure turn and then shoot the VOR or LOC 30C.

I came up with these “cheat sheets” so that I knew exactly what to have dialed in and when. See attached. Some might find it stupid, but it helped tremendously and made the approaches a non event.

Attachments

• IFR Checkride Kneeboard.pdf
    118.2 KB · Views: 17
That is a busy chart with both a TACAN Alternate Missed Approach Fix and an Alternate Missed Approach Fix. Not an easy nuance to understand.
It's been changed since but I recall the ILS or LOC 35 having more stepdowns requiring turning the VOR CDI multiple times along the approach.

It's been changed since but I recall the ILS or LOC 35 having more stepdowns requiring turning the VOR CDI multiple times along the approach.
The present procedure, Amendment 3, is dated March 12, 2009. There have been two abbreviated amendments since Amendment 3.

The present procedure, Amendment 3, is dated March 12, 2009. There have been two abbreviated amendments since Amendment 3.
The time I recall (if I'm correct) was before then, 2003 or earlier (I know the approximate date because it was before I got my CFII).

I agree. Can't remember the last time I saw four missed approach holding patterns depicted on an approach.

I agree. Can't remember the last time I saw four missed approach holding patterns depicted on an approach.
Jeppesen made a mistake on their chart. They deleted the TACAN portion of the missed approach, which is their policy. But, they charted the TACAN alternate missed approach holding pattern. I opened a support ticket on that one.

Back