How to Fly a Cessna 182

Best step:

6. Turn the ignition and let the motor run for a few minutes to warm up. Start to slowly increase speed on the throttles, the Cessna's version of pedals. Push the wheel back using the hand grips on the wheel. The plane has to be at 120 knots, or 80 miles per hour, for it to take off.

:rofl:

Spin the wheel to the left at a 45-degree angle once you're in the air to turn away from the runaway. Use the elevator, which is plane's gear shift, and throttle controls to control speed and airplane altitude.

Well, crap...I've never gotten out of first gear...where's the clutch?

Well, crap...I've never gotten out of first gear...where's the clutch?

Did you read the entire article??? The throttle is the same as the pedals in your car. So, I guess you just use the throttle for the clutch?

Good thing I don't fly a 182, cuz I don't know how to do this:

"4 - Make sure the landing gear is not released until the plane is about a few feet from the runway. If you release it too soon, you may compromise the landing."

I'd hate to have a compromised landing.

Did you read the entire article??? The throttle is the same as the pedals in your car. So, I guess you just use the throttle for the clutch?

Man...thanks for the pointer.:thumbsup:

OK, so where do I file the passenger list with the FAA and local airport? I've been going like a bat-outta-hell down the runway and can't seem to take off (I get this grinding noise when I pull the yoke back, but that's obviously because I've not been using the throttle-clutch when shifting gears), so I presume it's the lack of passenger list filing that's keeping me on the ground.

Good thing I don't fly a 182, cuz I don't know how to do this:

"4 - Make sure the landing gear is not released until the plane is about a few feet from the runway. If you release it too soon, you may compromise the landing."

I'd hate to have a compromised landing.

Where is the gear release?:dunno:

On other planes (not 182s), normally there's not a requirement to release the gear at all...I've always liked to use the gear to actually land upon, but I guess the 182's different.

This is the best part I think:

Check the position of the engine. If it's sagging too low, it must be repaired before more serious damage occurs. :D

Where is the gear release?:dunno:

On other planes (not 182s), normally there's not a requirement to release the gear at all...I've always liked to use the gear to actually land upon, but I guess the 182's different.

Where is the ejection seat handle? I've read that the Baron has one.

Well, this is handy:

Don't overload cargo on the plane. A Cessna 182 carries four passengers and up to 3,100 pounds at take off.

Four passengers plus 3,100 pounds is a great increase in useful load...do we need an STC for this?

I liked the comment that called this article "complete and utter dumbassery".

Steve really has a way with words. That's one of the reasons I really like his podcasts, and had a lot of fun when we had him on the Pilotcast! "You can't swing a dead cat in Michigan without hitting at least three lawyers..." :rofl:

This is seriously funny stuff!

I like my comment the best. :D :D :D

Kent's comment said:
So I tried to fly a 182 following these instructions and had some problems. First, I tried to "register a passenger list" and all it did was raise the suspicions of the TSA, who said that since I didn't know what I was doing but I was trying to fly an airplane, I must be a terrorist and they threw me into Guantanamo. Eventually, I escaped and made my way back to the airport. There wasn't anyone there to file a flight plan with, so the plane wouldn't start. Luckily, after I filed a flight plan with the FAA, the plane miraculously came to life. Unfortunately, since the Cessna uses its throttles instead of pedals, but the handbook says I use the pedals to steer, I spent a lot of time accelerating and decelerating and taxiing around in circles trying to figure it out and crashed into a hangar. Luckily, I found another 182 to try out. Good thing there's 13,000 of them on the "FAA Airport Registry!" (Funny, I thought it was an airplane, not an airport. Boy, this flying stuff is hard to learn!) This time I managed to make it to the runway and push the throttle in, but I couldn't decide whether I should take off at 80 mph (69 knots) or 120 knots (138 mph). Luckily, when I hit 80 mph I realized that it would take enough time for me to put my ass up on top of the glareshield so I could "push" the yoke "back" instead of pulling it from the pilot's seat that I'd be at 120 knots when I was finished anyway. That was really hard, I'm not very flexible! With a design that requires such contortions, I'm surprised Cessna sold any of these damn things! Finally the plane took off and I was in the air, so I spun the wheel to the left at a 45-degree angle to turn away from the "runaway". I didn't even realize that kids who ran away were supposed to go to airports, but I sure didn't want to hit one. Unfortunately, instead of turning, when I held the "wheel" at a 45-degree angle, the plane kept flipping over until it was inverted, and I crashed and died. Well, I promised St. Peter that if he'd just pull some strings and let me have one more chance at life, that I'd give him a ride in a 182 when I got it all figured out. So, I went back to the airport and found yet another 182. Seriously, this is hard stuff - I'm on my 3rd airplane already and I haven't gone very far! That must be why there's only "13,000" of them in the "airport registry" when Cessna has built over 23,000 of them - The other 10,000 must have been crashed by people trying to learn to fly from eHow.com! But this time I figured out that instead of "pushing back on the wheel" that I could simply pull back on the yoke to take off, and remain firmly belted in my seat. That sure is a lot easier! So I took off, and used a lot less than 45 degrees of deflection on the yoke, and figured out that if I bring the yoke back to the center, the airplane will turn without flipping over and killing me. Phew! That's a relief. So I practiced flying around for a few minutes like you said - Wow, that's the best idea you've had yet! But I wasn't sure which pedal to use to reduce speed slowly, and no matter what I did I couldn't figure out how to slow down - When I hit the brake pedal, I got thrown over towards the right side of the airplane. Then I looked back in the book and discovered that BOTH pedals are brake pedals! But they don't work in this airplane, I hit them both hard and it kept going just as fast. Then I remembered that I could reduce my gear and pop the clutch - But this "elevator" thing that's supposed to be the gear shift has me confused. I mean, I already went up! Is the whole plane the elevator? So I tried the throttle, but when I pulled it out the plane just started going down, and just as fast as I had been going before! I think it must be defective. Luckily, I remembered what you said about "spinning the wheel" for something, and discovered a different wheel that made the plane slow down! I don't know why you said to turn it to the right though, it only goes forward and back. Maybe your 182 is different than all the ones I've tried so far. Unfortunately, turning the wheel also made me start going up. I eventually figured out that by spinning the wheel and pulling the throttle I could go down and slow down at the same time. Wow, this is so confusing! No wonder so few people are pilots. So I got down near the runway and I couldn't figure out how to "release the landing gear!" I guess I need to use that gear shift elevator thing. But when I tried to do that, first the plane bounced off the runway, then went up with the nose in the air and I crashed and died again. St. Peter wouldn't even deal with me this time, but at least he let me into heaven. Those instructions are terrible.

I hope my next of kin sues.

A new comment has been added:
>>
The author was correct on one thing: A 182 is indeed a Cessna.
<<

ehow is a big heap o' crap.

Google needs to tweak their algos to weed that junk out of the results. Yes, I know I can add -ehow to my searches, but that's too much effort on my part. Google should do it.

ehow is a big heap o' crap.

Google needs to tweak their algos to weed that junk out of the results. Yes, I know I can add -ehow to my searches, but that's too much effort on my part. Google should do it.

Hmmm. I would not be in favor of that - Even if eHow is crap, I don't want Google to be Big Brothering anyone's content.

By "weed out," I mean lower their page rank. Google does that all the time.

This dreck shows up on page 1. :sosp:

Edit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110225/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_google_search

LOL. Look who shows up in that article.

I love this....
"We believe that our platform for satisfying today's consumer demand is the most comprehensive and effective of any online publisher," Demand Media [which operates eHow.com] CEO Richard Rosenblatt told analysts earlier this week after the company announced the first quarterly profit in its four-year history. "The standards we put in place, the process that we follow, and most important, the qualified professionals we rely on to create and copy at the solution are unprecedented in traditional and new media.definition."
(emphasis mine)

Kent: Nice response! :thumbsup:

Hmmm. I would not be in favor of that - Even if eHow is crap, I don't want Google to be Big Brothering anyone's content.

I do. As a matter of fact, I think it's imperative. Google search results have become less and less relevant to me over the last couple of years. It happened so slowly, that I hadn't even noticed. But they were being dominated by content farms. Sites whose entire goal was not to give the best content, but to get you there so that they could show you ads. This article by ehow is the perfect example of that. They could give a crap less about the content. They tailor their SEO to get search traffic. That is useless to me.

A new comment has been added:
>>
The author was correct on one thing: A 182 is indeed a Cessna.
<<

Methinks the author's expertise comes from logging many hours in Microsoft Flight Simulator, where there is indeed, a Cessna 182.

I like this part the best and I will certainly take it to heart.

"Check the position of the engine. If it's sagging too low, it must be repaired before more serious damage occurs."

:)

John

Methinks the author's expertise comes from logging many hours in Microsoft Flight Simulator, where there is indeed, a Cessna 182.

ugh - I took a buddy flying a few years ago. He had tons of MFS experience, and had to let me know all about how good a pilot he is during the flight. I really thought about telling him to jump, and then ask how he does THAT in the flight sim.

ugh - I took a buddy flying a few years ago. He had tons of MFS experience, and had to let me know all about how good a pilot he is during the flight. I really thought about telling him to jump, and then ask how he does THAT in the flight sim.

I'm guessing that there was zero probability of you uttering these words: "your airplane."

So I got down near the runway and I couldn't figure out how to "release the landing gear!" I guess I need to use that gear shift elevator thing. But when I tried to do that, first the plane bounced off the runway, then went up with the nose in the air and I crashed and died again. St. Peter wouldn't even deal with me this time, but at least he let me into heaven. Those instructions are terrible.

You should have watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKXYK5SQ5E

Back