How to Fly a Cessna 182

"Dumbassery" has been my favorite Tupper word for a while now.

And the thought of Kent trying to wiggle his ass up on the glare shield of a 182 had me guffawing out loud so bad I thought I was going to cry.

Nicely done, Kent!

I do. As a matter of fact, I think it's imperative. Google search results have become less and less relevant to me over the last couple of years.

To clarify: I have no problem with them organizing things to make the results more relevant. I simply don't want them completely removing anyone from the results. eHow can be the last thing on the list, but I still want it to be there. Not because it's any good, just the general principle that I don't want any search engine to act as "gatekeeper" and decide whether or not I can see the content at all.

Wow - The idiots removed my comment! That was dumb, they'd have gotten more traffic from the humor than from those crappy directions.

Good thing I saved it, so I could repost it. Maybe I can get banned next. :D

Wow - The idiots removed my comment! That was dumb, they'd have gotten more traffic from the humor than from those crappy directions.

Then where will you go to have all your questions answered?

We could all post it. Hahaha.

Out of curiosity, did it mention anything about what to do if you are taking off from a treadmill?

Methinks the author's expertise comes from logging many hours in Microsoft Flight Simulator, where there is indeed, a Cessna 182.
5 minutes with MSFS will show any idiot that those directions will not work, even there.

I think the author saw a 5-yr-old playing with a toy airplane and making zoom-zoom sounds, and picked his brain for details on how it all works. :D

ehow is a big heap o' crap.

Google needs to tweak their algos to weed that junk out of the results. Yes, I know I can add -ehow to my searches, but that's too much effort on my part. Google should do it.

Bear this in mind next time y'all go quoting from WikiPedia, too. It's all a big circle-jerk--and you ain't invited to participate. :rolleyes:

Buncha `tards all `round. They delete any and all $%@ that deviates from the status quo or the PC "officially sanctioned" version of what-really-happened. Use at your own risk. As Twain said (paraphrasing no doubt): "Those who do not read newspapers are uninformed. Those who do read newspapers are misinformed."

How about eGads? :yikes:

Hmmm. I would not be in favor of that - Even if eHow is crap, I don't want Google to be Big Brothering anyone's content.

Dude, that ship has soooo sailed. Welcome to the New World, Captain Ramius. :rofl:

Bear this in mind next time y'all go quoting from WikiPedia, too. It's all a big circle-jerk--and you ain't invited to participate. :rolleyes:

Buncha `tards all `round. They delete any and all $%@ that deviates from the status quo or the PC "officially sanctioned" version of what-really-happened. Use at your own risk.

Wow.

Wikipedia at least shows sources - And where there are none you'll usually see "citation needed" or one of the other various tags they have to alert you to potentially substandard information.

What exactly did you write that was deleted? Did you have a reliable source? Do you know who deleted it? (Just as you can write things on WP, you can delete 'em too.)

Buncha `tards all `round. They delete any and all $%@ that deviates from the status quo or the PC "officially sanctioned" version of what-really-happened. Use at your own risk. As Twain said (paraphrasing no doubt): "Those who do not read newspapers are uninformed. Those who do read newspapers are misinformed."

How about eGads? :yikes:

Which part of this was altered for polical correctness?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_reaction

or this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox

or this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_152

Wow.

Wikipedia at least shows sources - And where there are none you'll usually see "citation needed" or one of the other various tags they have to alert you to potentially substandard information.

What exactly did you write that was deleted? Did you have a reliable source? Do you know who deleted it? (Just as you can write things on WP, you can delete 'em too.)

Nothing I wrote, but they are junkyard dogs--fierce defenders of the status quo--and decide amongst themselves which articles or entries are fit to print.

Example #1: Rahm Emanuel's father, Benjamin, had a Wikipedia page that was suddenly removed, most likely due to his terroristic roots. The page would have likely been embarassing to the political strivings of his son, Rahm, as he and Obama raced for the White House. The original page content is posted here:

http://shorttext.com/hfnzze

Example #2: Water Fluoridation

The Wikipedia entry reads like a press release from the American Dental Assn. Pure quackery masquarading as a settled science puff piece. Infuriating really. The gatekeepers have managed to keep out nearly all the negative information. Some of the content is pure horse$#%@. But, HEY LOOK!, they have citations. Weeeeeee!! It's gotta be golden, right? :rolleyes2:

You can spend an afternoon googling "Wikipedia censorship" and see what all the fuss is about. Short version, they're another media "gatekeeper" and deep-six controversial information that deviates from the dominant mythologies.

Researching alternative theories to 9/11? Don't waste your time.

If you wouldn't read it in The Washington Post, NYTimes, or see it on CNN you won't read it on Wikipedia either. Birds of a feather and all.

Use Wikipedia at your own risk. Personally, my B.S. trigger is just about due for replacement.

Nothing I wrote, but they are junkyard dogs--fierce defenders of the status quo--and decide amongst themselves which articles or entries are fit to print.

<SNIP>

The Wikipedia entry reads like a press release from the American Dental Assn. Pure quackery masquarading as a settled science puff piece. Infuriating really. The gatekeepers have managed to keep out nearly all the negative information. Some of the content is pure horse$#%@. But, HEY LOOK!, they have citations. Weeeeeee!! It's gotta be golden, right? :rolleyes2:

You can spend an afternoon googling "Wikipedia censorship" and see what all the fuss is about. Short version, they're another media "gatekeeper" and deep-six controversial information that deviates from the dominant mythologies.

Researching alternative theories to 9/11? Don't waste your time.

If you wouldn't read it in The Washington Post, NYTimes, or see it on CNN you won't read it on Wikipedia either. Birds of a feather and all.

Use Wikipedia at your own risk. Personally, my B.S. trigger is just about due for replacement.

Oh yeah- they only give one side :rolleyes:
Further information: Water fluoridation controversy

A mild case of dental fluorosis, visible as white streaks on the subject's upper right central incisor.

Fluoride's adverse effects depend on total fluoride dosage from all sources. At the commonly recommended dosage, the only clear adverse effect is dental fluorosis, which can alter the appearance of children's teeth during tooth development; this is mostly mild and is unlikely to represent any real effect on aesthetic appearance or on public health.[10] The critical period of exposure is between ages one and four years, with the risk ending around age eight. Fluorosis can be prevented by monitoring all sources of fluoride, with fluoridated water directly or indirectly responsible for an estimated 40% of risk and other sources, notably toothpaste, responsible for the remaining 60%.[57] Compared to water naturally fluoridated at 0.4 mg/L, fluoridation to 1 mg/L is estimated to cause additional fluorosis in one of every 6 people (95% CI 4–21 people), and to cause additional fluorosis of aesthetic concern in one of every 22 people (95% CI 13.6–∞ people). Here, aesthetic concern is a term used in a standardized scale based on what adolescents would find unacceptable, as measured by a 1996 study of British 14-year-olds.[11] In many industrialized countries the prevalence of fluorosis is increasing even in unfluoridated communities, mostly because of fluoride from swallowed toothpaste.[48] A 2009 systematic review indicated that fluorosis is associated with consumption of infant formula or of water added to reconstitute the formula, that the evidence was distorted by publication bias, and that the evidence that the formula's fluoride caused the fluorosis was weak.[58] In the U.S. the decline in tooth decay was accompanied by increased fluorosis in both fluoridated and unfluoridated communities; accordingly, fluoride has been reduced in various ways worldwide in infant formulas, children's toothpaste, water, and fluoride-supplement schedules.[56]
Fluoridation has little effect on risk of bone fracture (broken bones); it may result in slightly lower fracture risk than either excessively high levels of fluoridation or no fluoridation.[10] There is no clear association between fluoridation and cancer or deaths due to cancer, both for cancer in general and also specifically for bone cancer and osteosarcoma.[10][11] Other adverse effects lack sufficient evidence to reach a confident conclusion.[11] A Finnish study published in 1997 showed that fear that water is fluoridated may have a psychological effect with a large variety of symptoms, regardless of whether the water is actually fluoridated.[1]
Fluoride can occur naturally in water in concentrations well above recommended levels, which can have several long-term adverse effects, including severe dental fluorosis, skeletal fluorosis, and weakened bones.[47] The World Health Organization recommends a guideline maximum fluoride value of 1.5 mg/L as a level at which fluorosis should be minimal.[59]
In rare cases improper implementation of water fluoridation can result in overfluoridation that causes outbreaks of acute fluoride poisoning, with symptoms that include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Three such outbreaks were reported in the U.S. between 1991 and 1998, caused by fluoride concentrations as high as 220 mg/L; in the 1992 Alaska outbreak, 262 people became ill and one person died.[60] In 2010, approximately 60 gallons of fluoride were released into the water supply in Asheboro, North Carolina in 90 minutes—an amount that was intended to be released in a 24-hour period.[61]
Like other common water additives such as chlorine, hydrofluosilicic acid and sodium silicofluoride decrease pH and cause a small increase of corrosivity, but this problem is easily addressed by increasing the pH.[62] Although it has been hypothesized that hydrofluosilicic acid and sodium silicofluoride might increase human lead uptake from water, a 2006 statistical analysis did not support concerns that these chemicals cause higher blood lead concentrations in children.[63] Trace levels of arsenic and lead may be present in fluoride compounds added to water, but no credible evidence exists that their presence is of concern: concentrations are below measurement limits.[62]
The effect of water fluoridation on the natural environment has been investigated, and no adverse effects have been established. Issues studied have included fluoride concentrations in groundwater and downstream rivers; lawns, gardens, and plants; consumption of plants grown in fluoridated water; air emissions; and equipment noise.[62]

Includes a link to the debate here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

Wikipedia's at least as balanced as Faux News.

Example #1: Rahm Emanuel's father, Benjamin, had a Wikipedia page that was suddenly removed, most likely due to his terroristic roots. The page would have likely been embarassing to the political strivings of his son, Rahm, as he and Obama raced for the White House. The original page content is posted here:

http://shorttext.com/hfnzze

Doesn't look particularly controversial to me - And now, his membership in the Irgun is discussed right on Rahm's page instead.

Chances are, they simply decided that the guy wasn't noteworthy enough to have a wikipedia page. I mean, what did he do besides have kids? :dunno: I've seen a page or two in the past that was marked for deletion because it was pretty much some nobody. :dunno:

Someone else covered that. Pretty sure a press release from the ADA wouldn't have had both the pluses and minuses, and an entire expanded article on the minuses.

Just the fact that they put BOTH sides of most stories on the pages rather than only YOUR side, doesn't mean that they suck. That makes them pretty good.

<SNIP> HEY LOOK!, they have citations. Weeeeeee!! It's gotta be golden, right? :rolleyes2:
<SNIP>
Citations are good since you can see the information being used in the summary and decide how much of it is being taken out of context. You can also decide if the citation is worthwhile or a bunch of BS, or something in between.

You use any data source at your own risk. None of it is perfect. Citations allow one to gauge, to some extent, the degree of imperfection.

Huh? They've never stopped me from participating. With some of my edits, I didn't even sign in.

So, I was thinking I would learn how to fly a 182. Good thing I found this article. It pretty much walks me right through the process. I think I'm ready to give it a try!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2266733_fly-cessna-182.html

Among many other things, I was amused by the fact that they rate the difficulty as "moderate." Using those instructions the difficulty should be listed as "impossible"!

I get the impression that the author was a passenger on a demo flight in a 182, and misinterpreted most of what the pilot did and said. For example, the "passenger list" misconception could have resulted from the pilot writing the passengers' names on a weight-and-balance form, and if the pilot filed a flight plan, the passenger could have assumed that this was a requirement.

If this is what happened, it's too bad the author didn't submit the article to the pilot for an accuracy check!

Back