How To Convince The Parents?

Matthew K

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Broke Engineer
Ok, so as some of you may know, I got my PPL back in September. Now its November and I want to take "a friend" flying with me. This friend is up for it, but the mom doesn't like the idea of small planes(probably doesn't help that I barely know the mom tbh). I remember the convincing I had to go through with my parents to get them to let me do flight training, so I can 100% see where the mom is coming from (Ironically, her husband is a pilot in the reserves, but from my understanding she hasn't been exposed much to his flying :confused:).

I still want to take this person flying obviously, and considering I nor the friend are legally adults, I can't really ignore the parents. The only option I see here is to build trust with the parents and talk to them about it and eventually get them to approve. I was wondering what suggestions you all may have to convince the parents/to help put them at ease that I may not have thought of to hopefully speed up this process.

P.S. This could apply to many situations, but take "a friend" as you wish ;)

I think the parents concerns are reasonable.
Not that I have an issue with it per se, but the parents are basically letting their kid ride on the back of a motorcycle with a 17 year old.

I think the parents concerns are reasonable.
Not that I have an issue with it per se, but the parents are basically letting their kid ride on the back of a motorcycle with a 17 year old.
Yea I definitely understand their/her concerns, I asked the friend with the full expectation that the parents would be "hesitant" to allow it. Nevertheless, I am still determined to try and convince them.
baby boy.
You "may" have the wrong gender there. ;)

Take the mom flying and practice some power on turning stalls and tell her u will only stop when she agrees to let you bring your "friend "

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You seem to have gone to great lengths in your OP to stay away from any gender references. Are you practicing being vague and evasive for a future in politics?
:D I've given some hints. And no plans for politics, there is far to little money in it to pay for flying ;)

Take the mom flying and practice some power on turning stalls and tell her u will only stop when she agrees to let you bring your "friend "

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'll make sure to bring a contract to sign so she can't change her mind once on the ground ;):D

Go flying with Dad is your best bet - think of it as a checkride with him. He's a pilot too, he will spot any BS that you pull or he will recognize you for a safe and conscientious pilot. And he may just have some experience that you can benefit from. Always be responsible and show them that you're the kind of guy who follows the rules. If nothing works, wait a year, if she is real, she will be there.

BTW, your problem with parents is not new, nor limited to airplanes. And I got that it was a girl from the second sentence. Obviously you like her and want her to be impressed with you. Be patient and be willing to wait. Meanwhile go forward with your learning.

I don’t know any short cuts on getting your friends parents on board.

I will give you a few words of caution. If you have any romantic interest in the friend you should be very careful taking them flying. I think there is some kinda voodoo majic involved I took a young lady flying when I was 17. We celebrated our 18 year anniversary this year.

Caveat to this thread. As a father of beautiful twin girls, I was the one who was more skeptical of what they did or who they hung out with. Mom was agreeable to just about everything and anyone and laughed at me and my concerns.

WW_30.jpg

Caveat to this thread. As a father of beautiful twin girls, I was the one who was more skeptical of what they did or who they hung out with. Mom was agreeable to just about everything and anyone and laughed at me and my concerns.
Oh I think you are right to be concerned.
I mean, lets face it. We are guys and know what we was important back in the day.
Shucks, it's still important but now it's okay since I'm married.

I still want to take this person flying obviously, and considering I nor the friend are legally adults, I can't really ignore the parents.

Honestly, I'm not sure I agree with this. I got my license at 17 and took friends flying with me. I never had any concern for what their parents thought. At 17, I figured I was close enough to an adult to make my own decisions, and I assumed the same for my friends. If your friend shows up and says she's ready to go flying, I'd just go with no concern for what her parents think.

Honestly, I'm not sure I agree with this. I got my license at 17 and took friends flying with me. I never had any concern for what their parents thought. At 17, I figured I was close enough to an adult to make my own decisions, and I assumed the same for my friends. If your friend shows up and says she's ready to go flying, I'd just go with no concern for what her parents think.
I'd agree with this, but that'd put me in a pretty difficult situation with the parents that I would want to be in the good graces of, and that'd also be assuming the friend is willing to go against their parents(and therefore lie about where they've been all afternoon).

Matthew K. You're not allowed to fly either of my daughters around until you fly with me first.

And even if I decide they can go, you can't look at them, touch them or fake turbulence just to cop a feel. ;)
LOL. Just out of curiosity, how old are they? Might be worth it to fly across the country. ;)

What is it...November already? They'll be 22 at the end of next month.

Oh, THAT'LL end well...

Back