How To Convince The Parents?

Even with my [actual] nieces and nephews I confirm with their parents that it is okay for them to take to the skies with me. And I was in my late 40's at the time.

It's a courtesy, and to a certain extent I think it calms them that I ask for their permission. I'm surprised your friends Mother doesn't see that your show of respect by asking shows a lot of character.

Fly safe!

See, that's a little factoid that may affect the dynamics. My guess is a ride in your van conversion is off the table as well.
Not sure I'm understanding this as intended. Elaborate if you would?

At 18 you are fearless and bulletproof and don't have people who count on you like you do when you're older.

Not Millennials. They're scared of their own shadows. Soft. Gentle. Not enough ambition to be fearless. ;)

I think the parents concerns are reasonable.
Not that I have an issue with it per se, but the parents are basically letting their kid ride on the back of a motorcycle with a 17 year old.

Yawn. I remember riding on the back of motorcycle at 15 or 16 with a friend the same age; you could get your motorcycle license at 14 in AL back then.

Heck, our daughters drove, at 16 on up, through the connector in Atlanta daily to school and back again. One ride on motorcycles or planes have nothin' on that. :eek:

It was an old joke when I was growing up. Full size van = make out vehicle.

I was gonna say kids today don't realize that vans were converted into mobile, uh, 'entertainment' vehicles some with, gasp, a bed back thar! Unfortunately I missed that phase as I was older and had to do with back seats and such.

Ah I forgot to mention that in my OP. Definitely something that may be required/a good way to convince.
In my experience, there are a lot of turbine pilots who want nothing to do with piston singles because they lack the systems redundancies etc that "real" airplanes (in their minds) have.

I was gonna say kids today don't realize that vans were converted into mobile, uh, 'entertainment' vehicles some with, gasp, a bed back thar! Unfortunately I missed that phase as I was older and had to do with back seats and such.
Shag carpet and curtains come standard.
f3b268f0e016b10abe5d34935afdbf47.jpg

See, that's a little factoid that may affect the dynamics. My guess is a ride in your van conversion is off the table as well.
Yer sooooo negative. Give the boy at least a glimmer of hope or he may be forever doomed to thinking he'll never get any...

Buy the mom this book. If she lets you take the kid up after reading it, at least she will have been fully informed.

https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Zone-Second-How-Pilots/dp/0071798404

Seriously, read the book yourself. Absorb the information and be ready to defend what you've done to keep yourself from becoming the statistic. Be all about safety both to your friend and her parents if/when you talk to them.

It’s normal for people with a non aviation background to be nervous. I got my license at your age too. I thought I was the coolest person. Whenever I’d fly, I’d get down to work though and get serious. No matter how much you explain the safety and statistics, most people are probably not comfortable letting their child fly in a plane with another child. My parents were really pretty conservative about who I got in the car with. They had the one year rule where the person had to have their license for a year before they’d let me ride with them.
That's view point I haven't really thought of. My parents went the route of what's legal. Which in my state is 1 passenger after the first 6 months, two after the second six, and as many as a Class C after that. This is much different then driving(where they essentially handout licenses to anyone it seems), but I can agree that a new pilot should spend a good amount of time flying by them-self before bringing passengers.

Buy the mom this book. If she lets you take the kid up after reading it, at least she will have been fully informed.

https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Zone-Second-How-Pilots/dp/0071798404

Seriously, read the book yourself. Absorb the information and be ready to defend what you've done to keep yourself from becoming the statistic. Be all about safety both to your friend and her parents if/when you talk to them.
I second reading that book, I am reading it right now. I would not go as far as asking her mom to read it, she will go as far as chapter 1 when it says GA is 10 times more dangerous than driving (proven via math), and that will seal the fate of OP

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's view point I haven't really thought of. My parents went the route of what's legal. Which in my state is 1 passenger after the first 6 months, two after the second six, and as many as a Class C after that. This is much different then driving(where they essentially handout licenses to anyone it seems), but I can agree that a new pilot should spend a good amount of time flying by them-self before bringing passengers.
Good idea, get that solo mile high rating out of the way...

oh wait, did I type that? crap.

Anyway you may be the safest immediately after PP training. Maybe not depending on performance while training. Fly a lot, keep the procedures in mind. You can be safe with low time as long as you stay within your training envelope.

I second reading that book, I am reading it right now. I would not go as far as asking her mom to read it, she will go as far as chapter 1 when it says GA is 10 times more dangerous than driving (proven via math), and that will seal the fate of OP

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah I was sort of kidding about giving it to the mom.:D

The Killing Zone was one of the best books I've read. Highly recommended for new or any pilot but especially new.

Back