How to best convey to ATC what I am flying.

Got the same problem, flying a Cessna 175b Skylark. No matter how many times I say Skylark, tower comes back with Skyhawk, I just let it go.

The cover of my plane's manual says it's a Challenger. I've never said "Challenger 1234" as I don't want to be confused with a regional jet. I'm fine with Cherokee or Archer. PA28/G if I get asked after checking in. I've been called a Cessna in tower traffic call outs lots of times. As long as they know my speed and don't call me late for dinner, I couldn't care less.

The cover of my plane's manual says it's a Challenger. I've never said "Challenger 1234" as I don't want to be confused with a regional jet. I'm fine with Cherokee or Archer. PA28/G if I get asked after checking in. I've been called a Cessna in tower traffic call outs lots of times. As long as they know my speed and don't call me late for dinner, I couldn't care less.
The PA-28-180 was "Cherokee Challenger" and the PA-28-235 was "Cherokee Charger" for just the 1973 model year. My understanding is that Chrysler Corporation had wadded panties about the not-so-coincidental use of the names of its two big-selling muscle cars, so for 1974 the airplanes were "Cherokee Archer" and "Cherokee Pathfinder", respectively.

An Tower controller at KJQF (Concord NC) called my Skyhawk a "Cesssssnnaaaarrr". Then he called the Citation entering the pattern a "Cesssssnnaaaarrr". I laughed out loud.

Got the same problem, flying a Cessna 175b Skylark. No matter how many times I say Skylark, tower comes back with Skyhawk, I just let it go.
The P172D, R172K and 172RG are on the same TCDS as the 175 so tower is not entirely incorrect.

An Tower controller at KJQF (Concord NC) called my Skyhawk a "Cesssssnnaaaarrr". Then he called the Citation entering the pattern a "Cesssssnnaaaarrr". I laughed out loud.

probably the same guy told me to follow the Groomun on final. Laughing was not my first reaction.

The FAA filing type BE24 because that's what he will punch into the tag. He'll call you whatever he can remember. Every PA32 is a 'Lance' and every pa28 a Cherokee.

I've heard a lot of "Saratoga" for a PA32. I've even heard Flying Monkey called that, and we know he's fixed gear.

Be nice, y'all...

Last edited:
As a PA-32 driver, it's a long list of options.

On first call-up I used to identify as "Lance 20817". Not any more. Now, on first call-up, I say "Piper Lance 20817". I do that because including the word "Piper" helps prevent being called a Lancair. Doesn't always work. That still happens a lot.

Most times, I'm called a Lance.
A lot of times, I'm called a Saratoga.
Less frequently, a Cherokee.

The only one I try to correct is the Lancair one, simply because there's a non-trivial performance difference that's implied.

As a PA-32 driver, it's a long list of options.

On first call-up I used to identify as "Lance 20817". Not any more. Now, on first call-up, I say "Piper Lance 20817". I do that because including the word "Piper" helps prevent being called a Lancair. Doesn't always work. That still happens a lot.

Most times, I'm called a Lance.
A lot of times, I'm called a Saratoga.
Less frequently, a Cherokee.

The only one I try to correct is the Lancair one, simply because there's a non-trivial performance difference that's implied.
I've been getting the Lancair thing too. Might have to add Piper at the beginning too.

The PA-28-180 was "Cherokee Challenger" and the PA-28-235 was "Cherokee Charger" for just the 1973 model year.

Yep, and my plane is the 1973 PA-28-235 -- I'll usually give both, unless the frequency is busy enough that I don't want to consume more airtime than necessary. "279 is Piper Cherokee, P28B". Cherokee isn't wrong and they'll remember it, but being a 235 I'm faster (well, somewhat) than a lot of the other Cherokees out there.

The manual for my Yankee called it a Gulfstream. I didn't give in to the temptation. ;)

The P172D, R172K and 172RG are on the same TCDS as the 175 so tower is not entirely incorrect.
This.

The 1963 P172D "Skyhawk Powermatic" is essentially an updated Skylark in that it's got the same GO-300 geared engine.

Yep, and my plane is the 1973 PA-28-235 -- I'll usually give both, unless the frequency is busy enough that I don't want to consume more airtime than necessary. "279 is Piper Cherokee, P28B". Cherokee isn't wrong and they'll remember it, but being a 235 I'm faster (well, somewhat) than a lot of the other Cherokees out there.

Really Chris, you don't have to rub it in. :(

Back