How much was your 2018 Annual (or Condition) Inspection?

How much did your 2018 Annual or Condition Inspection cost?

• 0 - 1000

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • 1000 - 2000

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • 2000- 3000

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • 3000 - 4000

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • 4000 - 5000

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • OVER 5000

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I can't answer because my spouse reads this forum

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Why do people ask about my annual? I don't get the joke

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
I just wrote the check for Candy's Condition inspection.

The entry price for my cute little girl is $900. I guessed it was going to be closer to $2500 based on some requests I made.

The IFR bit took a bite... Check was for $3,800.00

I'm going to start a go fund me account to buy fuel!

About $200, labor was free. I need to start charging more

Bill was $500, I paid $1000.

Flat rate on a 6 place single retract is $2k here...... then add labor and parts for what's broken or gets upgraded. I always upgrade something while it's in pieces. This years it was about $4k all in.

the inspection was free....but the parts did cost north of $7,000. o_O

Last edited:
Three days' labor and $35 for brake pads.

Next year will be pricier, as the ADS-B out and autopilot servos will be installed at annual. :eek:

$400, nothing to repair or replace.

I replaced 4 automotive plugs and changed the oil and filter. $50 total. Plus a weekend of my time.

Which has been about what it’s been since I bought her, plus or minus brake pads or oil or a ELT battery.

I did add on a few things not required that brought it up to 2kish

Most of the big money stuff are things I want to do, not need to do. Thankfully skywagons are pretty simple planes

How many people here can separate the maintenance done from the inspection completed?

I replaced 4 automotive plugs and changed the oil and filter. $50 total. Plus a weekend of my time.
Sounds like some one blew off the inspection.

Three days' labor and $35 for brake pads.

Next year will be pricier, as the ADS-B out and autopilot servos will be installed at annual. :eek:
Show me where 43-D requires you to replace avionics

A weekend is blowing it off?

How many hours did you bill on your last annual of a simple airplane with no squawks?
Just spent 3 weeks on an annual.
The owner didn't think he had any discrepancies

On a tbone????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavy Owner-assist and a little informal barter arrangement with the A&P (he gets free instruction from me, he's generous with his A&P time).

Just spent 3 weeks on an annual.
The owner didn't think he had any discrepancies

I didn't ask about discrepancies.

Again: How many hours did you bill for your last annual on a simple airplane with no squawks?

Last edited:
I have no clue what the final bill was. And Dad ain't sayin'. Here's a little back story:
I've paid for 100% of the past 3 annuals to the tune of about $350-$400 for the most expensive one. (I did all the work, and bought all the parts)
Well, In May, I flew out to TX to visit Dad, and let him play with the airplane for a while. Annual was due in July.
WX prevented getting it back here in time for annual inspection. So we elected to have it done there. Quote was $600
plus whatever was found. End result was an intake gasket, trim barrel, and jackscrew, and gascolator gasket. Then, he decided to replace the
baffle seals. (which I have on hand and was going to replace at annual anyway). So, I sent a check for half the annual cost, but as to the extras,
I've no clue, and Dad ain't sayin'. He told me that I'd footed 100% of the bill for the past 3 years, it is his turn. :rolleyes:
Now dang it!! he's spending my inheritance!! ;) :D But what do you expect from a 19 year old?

I just wrote the check for Candy's Condition inspection.

The entry price for my cute little girl is $900. I guessed it was going to be closer to $2500 based on some requests I made.

The IFR bit took a bite... Check was for $3,800.00

I'm going to start a go fund me account to buy fuel!
I assume you didn't build her and don't have the repairmans cert? Sounds like a lot.

$1750, until I added my personal squawks which then shot it up to about $3300

$1750, until I added my personal squawks which then shot it up to about $3300
Repairing deferred maintenance is not a portion of the inspection.
I'm not required by 43-D to fix any thing.
To prove this, think how many times during a owner assisted annual, the inspector finds the discrepancy and some one else repairs it.
Think who signs off the inspection, and who makes the RTS entry?

Show me where 43-D requires you to replace avionics

Didn't say that those items would be part of the annual...only that next year would be more expensive.

A lot easier to install servos, etc. when the aircraft is partially disassembled already.

Didn't say that those items would be part of the annual...only that next year would be more expensive.

A lot easier to install servos, etc. when the aircraft is partially disassembled already.
When you are not inferring they are part of the inspection, why include them in your answer?
many here think an annual really is a 13 month maintenance period, just because the write one check .

I assume you didn't build her and don't have the repairmans cert? Sounds like a lot.

Correct. All my maintenance is done by my A&P. Some would say I should even have the flying done by a capable pilot, but that's another thread. :)

about $1k was getting the IFR certification done. Many leaks in the static system, and the backup altimeter needed some attention.

I also had a couple of optional items addressed while everything was open, including installing the crotch straps for the 5 point Hookers. [That might not sound right]

No idea what the annual cost, I know that between the engine overhaul and things I keep updating I'm pushing $40K on the airplane so far this year.

The overhaul looks like it is around $26K since I went with all new cylinders. But things added were wingtips with LED landing/taxi/recognition lights at $3400, New alternator at $800, New vacuum pump, new Alaska Bushwheels tailwheel and 1 1/8" tail spring, new 10" x 10" ABI wheels and 29" tires, etc..

There is also a new 406 ELT in there somewhere and I'm sure I forgot a few things.

Back