How much time to pull the wings off C182/185/210 aircraft?

Aircraft sitting for long periods of time, out of annual, rats nest behind the avionics panel, leaking seals/o-rings, potential internal engine corrosion. No thanks... wings are coming off and it's going on a trailer. :yesnod:
Um I thought you were going to inspect it. Bend a panel on a wing or the frame loading it onto the trailer and you just added $10,000 in cost to reskin. Bump the trailing edge of a flight control = $2000

Already found a shop who will re-furb them like brand new and leave me enough meat on the bone to make a decent profit. They even prefer the wings already be removed. ;)
Cause they saw a sucker coming. I bet 50% overrun in time and cost on the first work issue. My IA won't work on junk. I respect him for that.

Even on mutli hundred thousand dollar airplanes you don't see people pulling cylinders as part of a prebuy unless a problem is found, and if it looks fine today how can you tell me it isn't going to start making metal in 100 hours or snap a crankshaft? The answer is that you can't without a complete engine teardown, and even then I'd say in many cases you will be unsuccessful in making that determination.

A year or two ago there was a multipage argument in this forum about pulling a jug or two during a prebuy. One of the antagonists, who routinely posted that he had done everything there is to do on earth, claimed he could pull a cylinder in an hour or less. ;) :D

A year or two ago there was a multipage argument in this forum about pulling a jug or two during a prebuy. One of the antagonists, who routinely posted that he had done everything there is to do on earth, claimed he could pull a cylinder in an hour or less. ;) :D

I could pull one in 10 minutes, just don't expect it (or the rest of the engine) to be usable afterwRds. ;)

Questions I would be asking since I don't know the answer:

Can a non-A&P legally disassemble an aircraft, and is that dependent on whether the disassembler is working under the supervision of an A&P.
Is there a log entry required, what would it say, who would sign it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone can take them apart. I wouldn't sign it off unless I knew the installer and inspected the work.

I would figure that with empty tanks, wings could be removed in under an hour.
It takes about 10 minutes to remove the wings from an RV12. (5 of those are spent consuming sody pop)

Old Cessna fuel cells the rubber can be hard to get off the lines and you might destroy the cells taking them loose.

Anyone who's worked on old vehicles (boats/planes/cars/motorcycles) knows that its very easy to break something that's been assembled for the last 40-50 years when taking it apart. Seals break, bolts break, threads strip, bolts round off, flat surfaces get gouged or slightly tweaked and never seal right again...

Old SEL planes are pretty simple, but there is a lot that can go wrong if you're not careful.

Anyone who's worked on old vehicles (boats/planes/cars/motorcycles) knows that its very easy to break something that's been assembled for the last 40-50 years when taking it apart. Seals break, bolts break, threads strip, bolts round off, flat surfaces get gouged or slightly tweaked and never seal right again...

Old SEL planes are pretty simple, but there is a lot that can go wrong if you're not careful.
ya but....that won't hurt anyone....till it goes back from together. :eek:

Say you have 3 guys with the proper tools (electric/air)... how much time on average would it take to pull the wings off a Cessna 182/185/210 series aircraft and load everything on a trailer?
About 5 seconds to pull the wings off in a dive and a few hours to find the pieces and load them on a trailer.

Wings off? Give a flight lesson!

Reactions: Ted
I have a 210 I need to remove the wings for transport. Looking for information. Check POA thread. OP asks same question. Then I waste 30 minutes sifting through all the garbage, just fly between two trees, cut them off with a sawzall etc. What a waste of time and internet storage space. I mistakenly thought I was subscribing to something valuable.

Cessnas are fast and easy. A friend does painting. He can take a 172 or 182 and get the wings and stab off in a jiffy. I don't know exactly how long, but he's fast.

I have a 210 I need to remove the wings for transport. Looking for information. Check POA thread. OP asks same question. Then I waste 30 minutes sifting through all the garbage, just fly between two trees, cut them off with a sawzall etc. What a waste of time and internet storage space. I mistakenly thought I was subscribing to something valuable.
Wow, I didn't realize we had fast food royalty here! Love the potato oles by the way.

@Jim K , if you work on getting your hangar neighbor to join I'll work on getting Papa John to join.
We'll have all the Johns! <-not the "hookers and blow" kind of johns.

Wow, I didn't realize we had fast food royalty here! Love the potato oles by the way.

@Jim K , if you work on getting your hangar neighbor to join I'll work on getting Papa John to join.
We'll have all the Johns! <-not the "hookers and blow" kind of johns.
I feel like the real Taco John wouldn't have taken 30 min to read a two page thread lol. Anyway I don't think he's coming back with us being a waste of internet something or other. I think Jimmy John moved to Tennessee to hang out with Kid Rock. He's not a pilot anyway.

This is why I never complain when people ask a question that’s already been asked. An outsider doesn’t know the story behind the OP of this thread and why he wasn’t taken serious and his thread was not taken seriously. If you asked the question without the baggage of this OP you’d get less (I didn’t say none) nonsense replies.

Welcome to PoA.

Back