How much have Trent Palmer's legal costs been?

beestforwardspeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CoopAir
How much roughly has it likely cost in legal expenses during the whole process from the first NTSB ALJ, to the Full NTSB and now to the US court of appeals? Honestly have no idea? If I had to guess, probably $30K?

How much roughly has it likely cost in legal expenses during the whole process from the first NTSB ALJ, to the Full NTSB and now to the US court of appeals? Honestly have no idea? If I had to guess, probably $30K?
His costs? Or total costs, including what AOPA (and other?) orgs have spent?

I don’t think anybody that’s actually involved cares. What I mean by that is that the litigation costs are nothing but an investment. Publicity is the more relevant currency in this situation.

Myself, and hundreds like me didn’t know the name two years ago.

Pretty sure he makes a decent bit from his YouTube channel. And the publicity gets him even more "likes and subscribes". And the legal fees may be deductible as a business expense.

I’d be more interested in total billable hours vs actual billed hours.

Can’t remember the other side of the story was posted, but it was formidable.

Pretty sure he makes a decent bit from his YouTube channel. And the publicity gets him even more "likes and subscribes". And the legal fees may be deductible as a business expense.
His channel is rather small with about 50k average views per episode … thats not much at all, certainly not nearly enough to live off of .

I was surprised AOPA jumped into this case, especially after the whole Trevor Jacob YouTube garbage. There is obviously a strong financial incentive for these "influencers" to pull off increasingly reckless stunts to generate more views and more $, so frankly any pilot who makes a living by entertaining people with their flying should be under more scrutiny, not less, since gaining more likes and subscribes is not a good enough reason to buzz over private homes anytime you see an open patch of land and want to see if you can put it down there.

His channel is rather small with about 50k average views per episode … thats not much at all, certainly not nearly enough to live off of .
I think you may have him confused with someone else. I just looked it up, a video up for 4 hours has over 5k already. I saw videos listed with over 500k vies, he has about a half million subcribers. His is probably the biggest of the backcountry aviation content channels.
I would suspsect that there is a significant amount of money directly from Youtube and much more from sponsors.

With that being said, I don't watch his videos.

I think you may have him confused with someone else. I just looked it up, a video up for 4 hours has over 5k already. I saw videos listed with over 500k vies, he has about a half million subcribers. His is probably the biggest of the backcountry aviation content channels.
I would suspsect that there is a significant amount of money directly from Youtube and much more from sponsors.

With that being said, I don't watch his videos.
Here are his most recently videos. Average is more than 50K, but definitely nowhere near "quit your day job" money.

1712951179923.png

$30k? lol. Maybe through the ALJ stage (and that's a big maybe). Setting aside who is paying and who might be working for super-reduced special rates, probably $100k in incurred attorney time at least. $30k would be an unbelievable bargain (I can't hardly draft and file a single appellate brief for $30k).

$100k over a 120 day suspension? Another interesting investment of AOPA funds.

You're assuming facts not in evidence.

He is. I'm just offering a perspective of what legal fees, overall, for that kind of proceeding would likely amount to (regardless of who is paying, etc.). No clue what was spent here, but I can't imagine it was only $30k (unless time was donated, etc.).

He is. I'm just offering a perspective of what legal fees, overall, for that kind of proceeding would likely amount to (regardless of who is paying, etc.). No clue what was spent here, but I can't imagine it was only $30k (unless time was donated, etc.).
If AOPA spent any more than his dues I wouldn't really agree with the spending.

If one of us runs afoul of the rules, even unintentionally, and we're not members of their additional legal services as well, are they bailing us out? No, we're not "celebrities."

$30k? lol. Maybe through the ALJ stage (and that's a big maybe). Setting aside who is paying and who might be working for super-reduced special rates, probably $100k in incurred attorney time at least. $30k would be an unbelievable bargain (I can't hardly draft and file a single appellate brief for $30k).
Yeah… when the revolution finally comes ( left , right , does not matter from which side ) lawyers will be right there in front of the line for the gallows , right behind politicians :) … they and the system they have crated makes everything more painful and expensive , even flying ( i.e insurance rates )

Yeah… when the revolution finally comes ( left , right , does not matter from which side ) lawyers will be right there in front of the line for the gallows , right behind politicians :) … they and the system they have crated makes everything more painful and expensive , even flying ( i.e insurance rates )
Insurance premiums would indeed be much lower if they denied every claim without recourse.

I was surprised AOPA jumped into this case, especially after the whole Trevor Jacob YouTube garbage. There is obviously a strong financial incentive for these "influencers" to pull off increasingly reckless stunts to generate more views and more $, so frankly any pilot who makes a living by entertaining people with their flying should be under more scrutiny, not less, since gaining more likes and subscribes is not a good enough reason to buzz over private homes anytime you see an open patch of land and want to see if you can put it down there.
Arnold’s legacy.

My understanding is 1000 views is roughly $3-$5 depending on certain things. So at most he’s making about $250/video. There are plenty of people who make a living off of youtube with <250,000 subs but they’re pushing out a video every single day, but most of those are video game people who also do twitch and other things to supplement their youtube income.

Insurance premiums would indeed be much lower if they denied every claim without recourse.
The problem really is not with insurance companies but with the system where just about every potential mishap, often regardless of circumstances, can represent a potential liability and thus needs to be insured and included in the overall cost/risk assessment.
It makes everyday life very expensive.

Last edited:

This was MUCH different from the Trevor Jacob debacle. Palmer was doing a low pass over a dirt strip to determine whether it was a safe landing site - a technique that is considered good airmanship. Some neighbor complained and the FAA decided to make an example of him, despite him probably having done nothing wrong.

$100k over a 120 day suspension? Another interesting investment of AOPA funds.

You assume it has been that much.

If AOPA spent any more than his dues I wouldn't really agree with the spending.

If one of us runs afoul of the rules, even unintentionally, and we're not members of their additional legal services as well, are they bailing us out? No, we're not "celebrities."

I'm pretty sure he is a PPS member, which means he gets legal assistance. Also, do you realize how insurance works?

My understanding is 1000 views is roughly $3-$5 depending on certain things. So at most he’s making about $250/video. There are plenty of people who make a living off of youtube with <250,000 subs but they’re pushing out a video every single day, but most of those are video game people who also do twitch and other things to supplement their youtube income.

You're low on the CPM, and assuming a lot more videos are needed than you think. The CPM is more like 5000-8000 per million views - sometimes more - and people with over 100K subs who publish once a week are making good money. My friend has 500K subs on his once a week channel and is making in the high 6 figures. Based on strictly CPM - Trent had made about $400K on ad revenue. That doesn't include his sponsorships and other revenue sources, plus he is employed full time as a drone coordinator and pilot for films.

The guy has a beautiful fitted out Kit Fox and a ranch in the Reno area - He's not poor.

One reason AOPA jumped in was a recurrent procedural issue. The NTSB’s procedural rules require it to follow the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure “to the extent practicable.” Historically, the NTSB has given lip service to this requirement, arguably viewing “practicable” to mean, “when we feel like it,” and in a way that only favors the FAA . Palmer’s case raises those issues. It was the opening argument at the Court of Appeals hearing.

I thought it was the best issue in the case, but a lousy case in which to raise it. There’s a saying in legal circles that “bad cases make bad law”. At the hearing the DC Circuit panel seemed uninterested.

I'm pretty sure he is a PPS member, which means he gets legal assistance.
If he’s a PPS member, he get what any PPS member gets. A certain number of hours of attorney time paid by the program through the NTSB process, not AOPA’s direct involvement in the litigation. AOPA’s direct participation comes when it sees an important issue that is raised by the case but has broader application and importance.

You realize this is about more than Trent Palmer, right?
Unless you are referring to the procedural issue I mentioned (and IMO it was a lousy case to raise it in), you will have a lot of disagreement on that statement (which has been beaten to death in other threads)

1. Just because he has/might have more income than some other AOPA members does not mean that his membership benefits should be de facto revoked.

2. Just because his skill level/comfort zone is higher than others does not make him a bad guy. There are pilots out there who do stuff besides watch the autopilot keep it straight and level at 10,000 feet. Young guys who fly to have fun are just as much pilots as old guys who live to obey the FAA.

This was MUCH different from the Trevor Jacob debacle. Palmer was doing a low pass over a dirt strip to determine whether it was a safe landing site - a technique that is considered good airmanship. Some neighbor complained and the FAA decided to make an example of him, despite him probably having done nothing wrong.
I agree that Trevor Jacob took it much farther, but I think both were driven by the same motivation ($).

And the restrictions on when you can go below 500ft over buildings is pretty clear and strict. If he had to go so low in that area to inspect, and he’s not in an emergency, then it would’ve ruled out the site’s suitability from that alone. This wasn’t some unpopulated river bank or field with no alternative spots within glide distance, I don’t think you can make an argument it was “necessary” to violate the 500 ft rule.

That's what Jacob said. It's not what the FAA, the ALJ, or the NTSB concluded based on the evidence. This has been beaten well beyond death in two other threads.

Checks and balances. Any government organization needs to be kept in check. ATF, FAA etc. are all necessary evils to some extent, staffed by fallible humans. They cannot be allowed absolute power, so when they abuse or hint at abusing their authority, its money well spent to tighten the leash. Even if you think Trent Palmer is a dweeb, you dont want to see how the FAA or any other alphabet agency will operate with unchecked authority.

Aviation is my pursuit of happiness; how about you? Dont take it for granted!

Checks and balances. Any government organization needs to be kept in check. ATF, FAA etc. are all necessary evils to some extent, staffed by fallible humans. They cannot be allowed absolute power, so when they abuse or hint at abusing their authority, its money well spent to tighten the leash. Even if you think Trent Palmer is a dweeb, you dont want to see how the FAA or any other alphabet agency will operate with unchecked authority.

Aviation is my pursuit of happiness; how about you? Dont take it for granted!
The FAA isn't unchecked, and no one's suggesting it should be. Palmer has already appealed to the NTSB and lost. I just hope his attorney isn't working for free, as some have speculated. There's nothing worse than a pro bono client who lies about the facts of the case.

Shouldnt due process be applied in any case where the government wants to abridge any aspect of anyone's liberty? Administrative law exceptions are ripe for abuse.

Shouldnt due process be applied in any case where the government wants to abridge any aspect of anyone's liberty? Administrative law exceptions are ripe for abuse.
Absolutely. Administrative, civil, and criminal law should be treated the same as far as judicial proceedings and standards of proof. To convict someone in a criminal case, a jury (or judge, if waiving a jury trial) must unanimously agree that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. To find someone liable in a civil case, a majority of a jury must find culpability by a preponderance of evidence (51%). Under administrative law, an employee of the prosecuting agency can sustain the action by a preponderance of the evidence. At least under civil law it’s usually not the government as plaintiff.

One way to see administrative law is that it just involves revocation or suspension of a privilege rather than criminal sanctions, so apparently a low standard of proof and judicial review is justified. But if blocking someone’s ability to exercise that privilege will very likely result in substantial financial costs (loss of employment, bar to future employment, costs due to having to travel by alternate means), isn’t that tantamount to levying a fine?

Then there’s the whole matter of the administrative law “judge” effectively being a salaried agency employee - hardly an obeyance to separation of powers.

FWIW: In my experience, the current system works pretty good. Most violations are dealt with at the "informal" level either in the FSDO or at the Regional offices. The percentages that go beyond those levels are very low and even much lower to get to where Palmer ended up. Is it a perfect system? No, but what system is.

I find almost everyone who likes to channel Shakespeare on lawyers changes their tune dramatically as soon as they need legal services. YMMV

I find almost everyone who likes to channel Shakespeare on lawyers changes their tune dramatically as soon as they need legal services. YMMV
Doubtful. Much like a doctor you don’t really ever want to use a lawyer. You use them when you have no better alternative.

Back