How many hours is everyone flying a year?

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Just curious to know how many hours people are getting a year that are time building, etc?

I'm a CFI with a little over 600 hours. I don't really have a huge interest in flying for a full time job but would like to have my ATP just to keep in my back pocket. I mainly just instruct because aviation is a passion and it helps offset the cost of keeping my plane maintained. Right now I'm on track for 150/200 hours this year. Been around aviation since I was a little tike and just feel like many out there that the 1500 hour rule is bogus. I know guys with 3000 hours who don't have any business holding an ATP and yet I know several with lower than 1500 who would be great candidates.

Ha, Enough with my ranting though. How is everyone else building hours and how many are people averaging?

When I was building time as a CFI I flew 1200 hours in a year. My best month was 160. At my current flying job, I'm on track to do around 800.

Last edited:
When I was CFI'ing I got around 400 in a year. I was teaching mostly instrument students though at a 141 training program so a lot of my stuff was in the sim. Guys teaching day private/commercial stuff we're doing like 600+ hours a year

Last year, 30.8. This year so far 6.1. Over my entire training/flying history, I've averaged 21 hours per year.

Not really time building but for work, around 200 hrs per year. For play, about 100 hrs per year.

Not really busting my butt to build time, between work and play a hair below 300 I think.

Usually less than 100 per year when I'm active...last year maybe did 75, the year before 85. But those years are "active" years, being that I've had my PPL for over 20 years, and currently have about 500 hours.

Goal is 40-60, that's about all that time and $$ will allow for now anyway, currently averaging 1-2 hrs per week so I'm staying more or less on target

I'm certainly on the low side them. I just fly in the evenings after I get off at my real job lol... Maybe I'll surprise myself with my hours this year. I've been taking on a couple of extra students. I'm a 2nd year CFI and I really didn't "work it" that much my first year. I've had a couple of students that have been slower paced than some. I couldbt imagine instructing 1000 hours in a year, holy smokes.

I started training in July of 2016 and I currently have 58 (went for check ride at 50.6). Id love to hit about 80 by the time my flying anniversary comes around, but I don't know if my wallet will allow that right now.

My first hour was about a year ago, and I am at 75 on year later (after flying home from getting my PPL I had 52). I got 9 in April and I'm planning on having 6-8 a month, so 70-90 a year. However, I'm also looking at buying my own plane and then I'll be taking a lot more long(er) cross countries to visit family and all. At that point I'll be planning for 100/yr for sure.

I'm planning to start working on my instrument rating by this fall and then I'll probably just fly for fun/recreation until I retire from active duty (which is still plenty of years away). At that point, when I'm in my mid-40's, I'll get my commercial (if not before) when I'll have the time, money, and hours to actually get some type of initial flying job and I'll see where this flying thing takes me from there!

Bottom line, for my "time building" while active duty I'd be VERY happy with 100/yr.

Im at 17 since my first flight Feb 5th, with the plane down for mx for a month. I would think that would increase when I receive my ticket and I am not having to coordinate and plan around my CFI. I teach so I will have all summer off to work on the ticket and then hopefully enjoy flying myself and a few others after I receive it.

Last edited:
It's almost been a year since my checkride. Money and time have both been tight, and weather has cancelled 50% or more of my flights, but I've somehow still managed to get ~55 hours. Not great, but not terrible. Slowly building time for my IR and Commercial. I'm not in any rush. Just having fun with it when I can.

2017 was around 70 (got my private in August 2017). this year only 9 so far, but have 20 more scheduled over the next 3 months and will surely get another 10 in during the aug-dec timeframe so I'll probably hit about 40 this year.

Just curious to know how many hours people are getting a year that are time building, etc?

I've done 230 and change hours in the last 12 months. Some student/training flights (I earned an ATP), lots of acro and mock ACM/formation, and the rest was mostly X/C for various reasons.

I instruct part time, and between that and recreational flying I've done about 350-400 hours a year for the last few years. I'd like to find a little more time to get my own airplane airworthy again and do some more recreational flying. It doesn't look good to get that done though.

Strictly non business flying. Average 125 hrs per year.

88 last year... that's a lot more than usual. So far, 24 this year.

It's twice what I expected when I finished training, but I'm keeping a bit over 100 hours per year.

I'm currently 14.2 hours into my Private Pilot license since July 2016 (had surgery and had to lay off for a month). Finishing my pre-solo and still practicing the pattern at 2 airports. I'm training with an old colleague from work who has been an flight instructor since the 70s.

Eric

EricFlight Youtube Channel

Around 100 hours last 12 months due to buying an airplane with the commitment to use it. That's all going to change the next 12 months however.

I finally got my glider put together today, tow hitch on airplane, so Sunday we officially kick off our new soaring operation.

Since I'm still working it will be mostly weekends.

I'll be the only CFIG for a while & will tow too once other glider rated-pilots jump on board.

I don't really want flying hours anymore I'm trying to build a business doing what I like.

So, until i get some "young bucks" on board I'll probably fly quite a bit the next 12 months.

Typically 100-110 a year. This year with foot surgery it has really sucked. I flew new years day and then finally flew Wednesday to knock out three rounds to be pax current. Four months of no flying drove me crazy! I can't wait to start getting some serious air time.

I have been flying for 40 years. Typically average between 35-50 hours in a year. I like to joke I have 1200 hours total time, 1 hour at a time. I have 350 hrs xc, but wish I would do more xc. Have lost a little of the passion, and perhaps become to conservative at the ripe old age of 60.

Last year, 30.8. This year so far 6.1. Over my entire training/flying history, I've averaged 21 hours per year.
That's about what I average a year. 2015 was a bit higher since I pursued my instrument rating. This year might be an exception as I pursue the commercial.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That's about what I average a year. 2015 was a bit higher since I pursued my instrument rating. This year might be an exception as I pursue the commercial.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I was working on my instrument rating last year and will resume later this summer (that's my plan...).

About 600, but sadly only 20 in GA airplanes. I need to work on that, dammit!

About 85 last year. Since I am retiring on May 18, I am hoping for over 150 this year. Lots of XC time around the Pacific Northwest. Next year -Alaska!

I've been doing about 300/year since leaving active duty. Maybe half of that has been personal flying, the other half work (but still fun).

Back