How many hours is everyone flying a year?

130 / year.

Half for real missions: visiting family, weekend outings, business meetings. Half for other stuff: currency, proficiency, maintenance, using the engine at least once every two weeks.

Flying 20 years all GA. I think it averages to about 50/yr. The most was about 150/yr and the least was about 25/yr. Weather in SE Alaska can at times be challenging then again fuel cost can also limit how much I fly. Lately I fly once or twice a week average flights normally are about 1 hour.

I've been doing about 300/year since leaving active duty. Maybe half of that has been personal flying, the other half work (but still fun).

Didn't know you retired already???

Not yet. I left active duty a year ago and am doing the SELRES thing now.

Hmm, how's that affect when you collect a check? You all have to accumulate a certain amount of points like they do in the Guard?

Hmm, how's that affect when you collect a check? You all have to accumulate a certain amount of points like they do in the Guard?
Yes, you have to collect sufficient points for a good retirement year. Then you have to wait until age 60 to start collecting.

Yes, you have to collect sufficient points for a good retirement year. Then you have to wait until age 60 to start collecting.

Ok. I work with a T-6/P-3 pilot who's in the Reserves and mentioned something about that. Apparently he's up for retirement soon.

Not enough- I was half way through my IFR rating and instructor moved then I lost my job recently so had to cut that out from budget. Oh hell, at least I did not spend money on a used airplane that would have really been painful to deal with being out of work right now. Hopefully I can land work and get back into it again. Maybe this time buy the cheapest IFR trainer for keeping current afterwards. I wanted a fast plane like a Bonanza or Cirrus but paying 200k is a lot for a fun travel toy. Thinking a Piper Archer or Vans is way to go when I get back in the game.

I am not building time.

I flew a little over 200 hours in the last twelve months with more than half that giving flight instruction and over 100 hours of ground instruction.

My cost per hour for recreational flying has increased because of the elevated maintenance required for my training aircraft and modifications to make her a better trainer.

I am a one man flight school started about a year ago and the business appears to be growing with very little effort at marketing.

I am cautious about growth because I am 67 and am not looking to make the flight school a full time job.

I would like to become a manufacturer’s representative and sell some aircraft.

I would like to fly about five hundred hours per year as a flight instructor and a hundred for fun.

My love of flying continues to grow.

I learn from every flight.

Yes I did! April '15
When I first noticed your avatar, I thought, "Why is that guy using a picture of my plane for an avatar?" I got my white/red Cherokee at Indy Air too. They must use the same spot on the ramp to take the pictures, because I have a shot of my bird in the same position:

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 18
Fortunately I am not doing this for a career just pure fun and adventure and to avoid TSA at airports and more convenient to fly regional areas to visit family and friends on the west coast. That said, I have a home Redbird simulator to practice on before I can get back into the air after finding work. Economy sucks right now- lots of tech companies are laying off right and left.

Flew just over 250 in the last year. Have been flying a lot for my (non-aviation) biz. That pace may slow a little bit going forward but I hope not! It's been fun and productive.

average about 40 a year... but I expect that to increase dramatically when I retire next year...

Back