How many are just going to renew their 3rd class next year?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Just wondering with the reforms and all. Mine should be due next year, no reason to think I wouldn't easily pass it and I'd still be good for 5 years.

OTOH, I expect I could just get whatever form the FAA is going to come up with and get it signed.... IDK, seems like I might as well just get the third class and not have to worry about it for 5 more years.

I'm just going to bring the form to my annual physical and have my regular doc do it. I don't have the option for the 5 year CL3 anyways.

Company pays for my class 2. So yes, I'll be renewing.

Renewing my 3rd class in a week or two so I can feed my addiction until new rules/policies are figured out and made applicable.

My SI Class III expires July 31, 2017. The one year since passage is July 15, 2017. I don't plan on another Class III.

Unfortunately, even if I wasn't doing commercial flying, I'd need to maintain at least a third class. My airplane is too heavy.

My insuror declared if I want to continue to teach I was going to have a 3rd class....there are lots o examples on the FAA opinions and interpretations page....Grau, comes immediately to mind.....

I'm renewing later this month. Should be good to go while the Feds debate in the new rules . . . .

If my circumstances get to a point where getting a medical certificate is no longer "iffy," then whether I apply or not may depend on such factors as whether I want to fly to Alaska, whether CAP continues to require medical certificates to fly their planes, and how well PBOR2 works out in practice. (CAP will still have to require second class medicals for carrying non-CAP persons or property, but for flights that don't require that, CAP headquarters has a decision to make.)

As long as they stick with 5 passengers (1 pilot and 5 passengers) then I can't see a reason to renew mine.

The verbiage on the bill:

(A) The covered aircraft is carrying not more than 5 passengers.

However AOPA's FAQ states:

WHAT IS A "COVERED AIRCRAFT?"
A “covered aircraft” is defined under the legislation as an aircraft that has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds and is authorized under federal law to carry not more than six occupants.

Not sure why their intrepretstion is different.

Our Saratoga has 7 seats, so I am hoping it will stay with passengers and not seats.

It's not. One pilot plus five passengers = six occupants.
They are different.

The bill states what you said: One Pilot plus 5 passengers. = six occupants.

AOPA says the coverered aircraft is authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants. The Saratoga is authorized to carry 7 passengers.

The first says I can put 6 people in the 7 seats and be fine. The second says since it is authorized under law to carry 7, it does not qualify no matter how many are in there.

Last edited:
Aha, I missed that!

I would go with what the bill says.

Not me! I'm thrilled that I don't have to do the AME route ever again. Thank God for AOPA, I say. Sure, we wanted more and hopefully in the future we'll eliminate the third class medical requirement altogether but this is a start and a damn good one.

They are different.

The bill states what you said: One Pilot plus 5 passengers. = six occupants.

AOPA says the coverered aircraft is authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants. The Saratoga is authorized to carry 7 passengers.

The first says I can put 6 people in the 7 seats and be fine. The second says since it is authorized under law to carry 7, it does not qualify no matter how many are in there.

The part of the bill referring to number of passengers is defining the conditions under which a pilot may operate a covered aircraft under the new rules. Towards the end it defines a covered aircraft in terms of number seats. You cannot operate a 7 seat aircraft under the new rules regardless of number of passengers on board. Here is the relevant quote from the bill:
(j) COVERED AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘covered aircraft’’ means an aircraft that—
(1) is authorized under Federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants; and
(2) has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds.

Last edited:
I'm healthy and 36, due for a medical in February. As it stands, I'll be getting one in Feb and am still planning to get one more on the eve of my 40th birthday.

Last edited:
I'm healthy and 36, due for a medical in February. As it stands, I'll be getting one in Feb and still planning to get one more on the eve of my 40th birthday.

Same. Mine is not up but I turn 40 next month. Renewing one last time before my warranty runs out.

Depending on the wording when the rules come down, and if it looks like I'd need only one more, I'm willing to call Bruce and start jumping through the hoops.

Keep going back and forth on eventually getting my commercial. If I decide not to then unless the people or organizations whom I rent or fly their planes require it I will be done after my sleep apnea Si renewal in February.

My SI renewal is in May, so I'm hoping the new rules are in effect by then. If not, I'll probably just not fly for six weeks until July 15 when the law forces the FAA's hand. I already gave my doctor all the details of the new exam and checklist and he said it would be no problem. I know a lot of people are disappointed with how this law turned out, but it is a huge benefit to those of us on SI's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back