How high have you flown non pressurized plane

11,500 in my 79 Grumman Tiger. Calm air, great speed, but gave me a headache after an hour.

Took a PA28 to 17,500 once, very, very, very slowly.

12.5 in my Cherokee for one half hour. Something another poster said about getting over Lake Michigan. Took forever to get there, and I finished the trip at 11.5. Was pretty wiped out afterward.

I believe the guys posting teens in Mooney M20Cs. I had mine up at 11 trying to over climb some clouds. Damn thing was still climbing 500 ft/minute like it was nothing. At that height he Cherokee could maybe to 200 f/m. Maybe.

10K. Wasn't really my cup of tea. If terrain and weather permit, I like to stay close to the ground and enjoy the scenery.

Michael, I'll expect your Mooney to do fine. The M20F I flew was still climbing very happily at 11k. Get an O2 system.

12,500 in a C150. It was winter, and the climb still took forever.

Michael, I'll expect your Mooney to do fine. The M20F I flew was still climbing very happily at 11k. Get an O2 system.

Agreed. Probably won't get O2 unless I start flying around the big rocks though. Gonna start the IR soon.

I flew the T-37 at FL250 unpressurized.

I've taken my Bonanza to 17k

I lost cabin pressure in an F-15 at FL430 - thankfully it was a slow leak. I started an emergency descent and was in idle, speed brake and about 60 degrees nose low in IMC when the cabin altimeter caught up to my actual altitude it was at FL280... and descending. Fast.

11,500 in my 79 Grumman Tiger. Calm air, great speed, but gave me a headache after an hour.

Geez.....

I spend all day above 12 grand playing with my snowmobile.....

Altho , I have lived up here in the thin air for 25 years so my body has acclimated ..:yes::)

While flying from KPAN to KCHD I climbed to 8,500'. I know, not that high...

I have been skydiving twice down in Eloy, AZ. I believe the typical jump altitude is 15,500 MSL. I obviously was not flying those two times!!! ;)

I fly to FL200 with my wife and kids somewhat regularly. Usually to avoid turbulence.

While flying from KPAN to KCHD I climbed to 8,500'. I know, not that high...

I have been skydiving twice down in Eloy, AZ. I believe the typical jump altitude is 15,500 MSL. I obviously was not flying those two times!!! ;)

Oh been in those twin otters twice doing a co pilot ride along. I was a paying customer and watched my brother exited the plane. Ok so those flights don't count because I wasn't PIC and I believe we were 10k. I think that is the typical jump there.

Off topic question. If your using those oxygen nose things don't you have focus on breathing through your nose or does it come Naturally?

Breathing through my nose comes pretty naturally to me under normal circumstances. Doesn't it to you?

But yes, if you breathe through your mouth it negates the benefit of the oxygen.

13,000 feet. Skydivers in a C182.

11,500 in my N/A Comanche 250, she was still climbing at over well over 500 ft. min. I did not notice any oxygen problems at all.

12,500 in an airplane.

13,114 on a dirtbike!

i-SChsWRf-L.jpg

Breathing through my nose comes pretty naturally to me under normal circumstances. Doesn't it to you?

But yes, if you breathe through your mouth it negates the benefit of the oxygen.

You need a mask above 18,000...

There is no 18,000 feet in the United States.

Not me but a friend took his non turbo Pitts S1 up to FL244 as verified by Yuma Range. I was surprised on the ground listening. He said it had a little left in it but he needed fuel to get back to the airport.

17,950 in an RV6-A that I built..used oxygen...slow descent to 7350 to our airport to prevent shock to heads...took 30 minutes to let down.

OK smart ass...

FL180...

feel better...:idea:

Yes.... Yes I do :D

ETA: My point is many climb to this altitude and don't realize they need a clearance. They believe it's above 18,000'.

Last edited:
up to 13,500 in LSA - Flight Design CTsw. 11.5-12.5 much of the way between Phoenix-Seattle and back.

Have the 182 regularly above 13.5 but really haven't bothered to push it. Pop ups to 14.5 if needed with the O2.

Drive out of town visitors to 14.1 or so in the truck if they feel like going up there. The donuts are tasty.

I once took a friend a bit over 12500 in a Citabria 7GCBC. Surprisingly, we were still climbing at 500+ feet per minute at that altitude.

12,500 in a Cessna 170B with 180hp Lycoming and CS prop delivering it from Oklahoma to Deming NM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back