How hard is it to build an airplane?

How about partnering in a homebuild? Is it as beneficial as partnering in ownership of an existing plane? It seems to me that sharing a build would take some of the pressure off, especially if one partner is a "motor" guy and one an "airframe" guy. I've heard of people getting more out of buying and finishing up an in process project or using quick build kits rather than being frustrated by building the entire plane themselves. Thoughts?

The Van's quick build kits would save an average of two years work. When you figure it out you end up paying about $8.00 an hour to have a straight nicely built airframe to start with. Engine instillation and wiring are a big part of the overall build but really not that difficult. Don

An RV is a great airplane for a first time builder. If you have basic mechanical skills and can read a blueprint and instructions you can build a RV. If you decide to build you have to commit yourself 100%. The best way to finish a homebuilt is to do something on it every day even if only for 1/2 hour or so. The 14 looks like a great airplane and if i was to build a RV today it is probably what I would choose. Since 2005 I have built a RV7, Backcountry Super Cub and am finishing a RV7 for a friend and doing the fuselage of a Zenith 750 for another guy so I know a little about homebuilding. Don

So how long might it take a tyro to finish an RV10 at one hour per day? Just assuming that is what it averages out to.

If you can't come up with the time to install the plastic fairing on your motorcycle that's been sitting on the workbench for two months, or to set the delivery date for the furniture you ordered and paid for over a month ago, building an airplane is going to be a bit challenging. It will take years, require lots of dedication, and in the end you'll save very littl money as your cost will scope creep on you the entire time since you always want the latest and greatest. :)

You'll save more money buying something done.

I believe that Jesse knows David very well; probably better than most on this board. Based on Jesse's statement I think David would be well advised to heed what Jesse said. Jesse politely conveyed a realistic assessment of David's current position in life. ;)

I find that I'm pretty satisfied now.

The personal satisfaction of flying something you built cannot be expressed in words. The pride of completing the plane and overcoming the pit falls of building is life long.

I believe that Jesse knows David very well; probably better than most on this board. Based on Jesse's statement I think David would be well advised to heed what Jesse said. Jesse politely conveyed a realistic assessment of David's current position in life. ;)

Jesse knows me better than anyone. He's right, too.

So how long might it take a tyro to finish an RV10 at one hour per day? Just assuming that is what it averages out to.

2500 hours/365 is something like 7 years...

Subtract 2-3 years if you go the quickbuild route.

I can tell you that they are used extensively on the Sonex build. Here's a link to a builder with a pic of the Cherry Max pnue rivet gun. Yes, that would save hours. I don't know about other builds, but I would guess it's a popular method. If I were to build one, I'd go with flush rivets on the outer skins, and might use the Cherry on the inner stuff.

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_782666_Cmplete+Sonex+Kit+w_tools.html

How much difference in speed between flush and crowned rivets in 100-200 knot aircraft?

How much difference in speed between flush and crowned rivets in 100-200 knot aircraft?

Not enough to make it worthwhile except if you want to wrap the airplane in vinyl instead of painting. ;)

Dimpling in addition to drill and deburring is something I would not want to do to save a few minutes on a cross country. I could probably get the same benefit by loosing 30 pounds. :D

Cheers

Resale would be severely affected by using all domed rivets, and there is a weight penalty.

Little, maybe not measurable. one thing is certain, all other things being equal, they hold better than a Cherry Max.

Building is fun......sometimes. Today was one of those days. The gear in my glasair III moved under power for the first time today. Not tweaked yet, but functioning. That is very satisfying.

Attachments

• trim.f8JEKm.MOV
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
That's gotta be fun. How many hours to get to that point?

The personal satisfaction of flying something you built cannot be expressed in words. The pride of completing the plane and overcoming the pit falls of building is life long.

Building is fun......sometimes. Today was one of those days. The gear in my glasair III moved under power for the first time today. Not tweaked yet, but functioning. That is very satisfying.

Um - I don't think the metric 'hours' would be suitable. :D

Congrats Todd. You'll get there, and you'll have one of the best out there when it's done. Keep plugging!

Um - I don't think the metric 'hours' would be suitable. :D

Congrats Todd. You'll get there, and you'll have one of the best out there when it's done. Keep plugging!

I definitely don't keep track of hours. My dad likes to say.."who tracks the hours they put into the stamp collecting?" Point being, it's a gratifying hobby, not a paid job. We are about three years into it though and figure to be taxi testing next spring. This winter we will be able to work on it for the first time in the cold as we will heat our hager to be able to finish it. Can't wait to fly it but the project is a blast too.

You can always buy cheaper than you can build.

goes for EXP too.

What would it cost to have someone build an rv 10 or 14 for you? Do companies do that for you? Is that legal?

The rule says that 51% of the aircraft must be built by amateur builders, it does not specify which ones.

The FAA understands that amateurs need help, that is why they placed a section on the 8130-12 form to list them.

Just because you hired a metalsmith to rivet it together does not mean they are a professional builder.

Just because you hired a paint shop to paint it, doesn't mean they are a professional builder.

Same thing for the engine, avionics, welding, and machining.

The FAA knows amateurs need help, and they allow it.

Last edited:
I definitely don't keep track of hours. My dad likes to say.."who tracks the hours they put into the stamp collecting?" Point being, it's a gratifying hobby, not a paid job. We are about three years into it though and figure to be taxi testing next spring. This winter we will be able to work on it for the first time in the cold as we will heat our hager to be able to finish it. Can't wait to fly it but the project is a blast too.

X2. I stopped keeping track sometime ago. My log entries and pics have dropped off significantly as well.

As to the OP's question, the skills required to build most kits are well within most people's ability. Plans built can be more skill intensive. But in the big scheme of things, it will be your commitment to seeing the project through to the end that will be the real challenge. If you're still undecided, then get your hands dirty with a local builder or attend a Sportair workshop to get a taste of what building entails.

So,

How hard?

Hope to be able to say one day, but thinking something much smaller than an RV

So,

How hard?

Hope to be able to say one day, but thinking something much smaller than an RV

That depends. Most of the skills required are pretty easy to learn for most, so from that perspective I'd say it's not hard at all. Time, commitment, money, a place to build--those can all make it "hard" if they aren't readily available.

So is the idea of partnering in a build that absurd? :dunno:

How about partnering in a homebuild? Is it as beneficial as partnering in ownership of an existing plane? It seems to me that sharing a build would take some of the pressure off, especially if one partner is a "motor" guy and one an "airframe" guy. I've heard of people getting more out of buying and finishing up an in process project or using quick build kits rather than being frustrated by building the entire plane themselves. Thoughts?

I opened the first box of our slow-build RV-10 Dec 1, 2009. Did everything myself except paint, pitot/static test, xpdr test and a 20 hours of help from the wife riveting. All glass and IFR. Averaged 3 hrs/day. Worked full time. No TV, one hr/day on the computer, no vacations, dined out 4 times and movies twice during the build. Test flew it at 160 hrs myself on Dec 1, 2011. Two years exactly. Very difficult to do while working with young children, but not impossible. We have approximately 106 hrs on it now, four big xc family trips and a bunch of small ones. We would do it all over again. The whole family needs to be on board. Save for the entire airframe kit before you order, which is 1/3 of the project. The engine 1/3 and avionics/electrical 1/3. The economy sucks now, so glad we finished when we did. We will be fine and get through the slow times. It was a dream of mine since I was 10 years old. I could not have accomplished this without my wife of 24 years(married at age 18). Good luck with your decision.

I opened the first box of our slow-build RV-10 Dec 1, 2009. Did everything myself except paint, pitot/static test, xpdr test and a 20 hours of help from the wife riveting. All glass and IFR. Averaged 3 hrs/day. Worked full time. No TV, one hr/day on the computer, no vacations, dined out 4 times and movies twice during the build. Test flew it at 160 hrs myself on Dec 1, 2011. Two years exactly. Very difficult to do while working with young children, but not impossible. We have approximately 106 hrs on it now, four big xc family trips and a bunch of small ones. We would do it all over again. The whole family needs to be on board. Save for the entire airframe kit before you order, which is 1/3 of the project. The engine 1/3 and avionics/electrical 1/3. The economy sucks now, so glad we finished when we did. We will be fine and get through the slow times. It was a dream of mine since I was 10 years old. I could not have accomplished this without my wife of 24 years(married at age 18). Good luck with your decision.

Great account of a successful build.
I'm not sure I agree with the people that say you build just because you want to build. The end result would be pretty sweet whether I build it all or just a portion of it. Shucks, have you seen Jay's RV8? I'd be pretty satisfied owning someone elses masterpiece at this point. My dream scenario would be to build an RV6 airframe and then commission an AP to sure up the "soul" of it.

So, as some of you know I am selling the Mooney - I can't afford airplane I want so I'm figuring why not build it? I've got a big hangar with plenty of space and some decent mechanical know how. I'm not the quickest worker but I think I'm competent. I want an RV.
I don't know you anywhere as well as Jesse, and I have not built an airplane, but I'm going to fart in Don's general directon, as the saying goes, and advise you against trying it. The reason is that you're too young, you are at the stage in life when change happens. And airplane is going to take years to build, unless you splurge for one of those "two weeks to taxi" deals. You cannot afford to stay chained to your project when opportunity comes knocking and I am certain it will.

I don't know you anywhere as well as Jesse, and I have not built an airplane, but I'm going to fart in Don's general directon, as the saying goes, and advise you against trying it. The reason is that you're too young, you are at the stage in life when change happens. And airplane is going to take years to build, unless you splurge for one of those "two weeks to taxi" deals. You cannot afford to stay chained to your project when opportunity comes knocking and I am certain it will.

Agreed

Pretty much what everyone is saying, you can't be trolling for women every weekend and/or supporting & building a new relationship and/or raising babies and/or questioning what's next for employment and expect to get an airplane built at the same time.

Trust me, You need a wife of 45 years, grown kids, and a new project for some thing to do.

It all comes down to whether you want to spend your time building or flying.

Back