How far do/would you drive to your hangar?

How far do you/would drive?

• <10 miles

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • 10> miles

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • 20> Miles

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • 30>

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • 40>

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
There is a VERY good chance I will be relocating to SW Missouri in the near future.(close to Diana and Tom) I am having no luck finding a hangar to put my airplane in that is fairly close(within 30 miles). So I am posting a pole to see how far some of you keep your airplanes from home.

Last edited:
Hangar? What is this "hangar" you speak of?

Image010.jpg

50 miles and about 55 minutes. I own a Citabria and the airport I fly out of (C77 Poplar Grove) has a large number of taildraggers based there. Fun place to fly out of all year round, but especially during the summer. Lots of Stearmen, RV's, Citabria's, C120/140's etc.

Anything closer and not as reasonably priced is still 30 minutes away. I find it worth the time and effort to travel little further for the right flying environment.

I am inside the traffic pattern so I guess thats close enough. I even enjoy just watching the other AC fly around (rotorwings to).

About 21sm drive; and it's a traffic pain in the summer because Wiscasset Airport IWI is just a mile off U. S. Route #1 and the summer tourist traffic trappings. Winter can, also, be a pain because my door is on the North side and the sun doesn't hit it until about 2:30 PM -- the South side of the unit getting the early morning sun.

Photos 1 and 3 were taken minutes apart; #2 was about 2.5 hours after #1, and the ice was still to be removed. I think I'm going to get a seamless gutter installed on the roof overhang.

HR

Attachments

• Hangar Ice1 030407.jpg
    Hangar Ice1 030407.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Hangar Ice3 030407.jpg
    Hangar Ice3 030407.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Hangar Ice2 030407.jpg
    Hangar Ice2 030407.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
23 Miles. Nice airport. Nice people. And it's a very pleasant
ride thru the country on the Harley.

I live out in the country. Everything is more than 10 miles away unless you wanna get some "cow tippin" in your logbook. I have four airports within 30 minutes, 5 if you count a private grass strip. I am looking to put in a little stretch of grass myself next year.

--Matt

It's 3.1 miles from the house to 76S

It was 50-70 miles and one to two hours. It will be 2 miles.

Well, right now, my "hangar" is in my garage. Depending on the price to rent a hangar when my project is done, that might be my "hangar" forever as well....

But I'd drive up to 20 miles TOPS for a hangar.

If I have to drive to get there, it's too far.
Back on the farm, the runway was a pleasant relaxed 15 minute walk. That's just about ideal.

21sm, 40 minutes, not a particularly pleasant drive, decent amount of traffic. The airport we want is 5sm away, but I'm still something like 19th on the list, and I've been on the list two years. Another five or six, and we'll score a hangar at 3M3, hopefully.

My airport is about 15 miles away (thus 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic). I keep her on a tie-down there.

I COULD be in a nice hangar, but the plane would be an hour away...no thanks. I like being able to just pop over to the airport after work for a few, or on the weekend if I just do not have time to fly but want to smell Avgas. All the while the wife knows I am a short 15 minutes away in case we need to do something.

An hour drive? Ugh......

When I bought my first airplane I wanted a hangar. The two choices I had were Detroit City Airport where aircraft would occasionally develop bullet holes, and St. Clair County Airport near Port Huron Michigan. It's a much nicer drive to PHN than DET. Kind of a no brainer in my opinion.

Jeannie

44 miles, about 50 - 55 minutes, mostly interstate. It used (for 5 years) to be 100 miles, but my parents lived 25 minutes from that airport and my Dad always went with me then, so it worked out OK.

Well, as of now I take a train to a 30 mile bus ride and walk a mile in the side of a busy road just to fly someone else's airplane. In all it takes me about an hour and a half each way depending on traffic. I guess I'd go pretty far.

Last edited:
Well, as of now I take a train to a 30 mile bus ride and walk a mile in the side of a busy road just to fly someone else's airplane. In all it takes me about an hour and a half each way depending on traffic. I guess I'd go pretty far.
I'd walk a mile for a Sopwith Camel.

:goofy:

It's not really the distance that matters (within reason) it's the typical time to make the trip. In my area the average road speed is close to 60 mph so I can cover the 12 miles to the field in less than 15 minutes, but some places around the country are much slower and you'd have a hard time going 5 miles in 15 minutes. And another factor is how often you fly and/or "visit" the plane as well as how much time you actually spend at the airport on each visit.

For example where I live now is 12-15 minute drive to the hangar. If it were 5 minutes or less I would probably "visit" more often especially when I don't have any specific plans to fly. But if most of my trips to the airport included flying for a couple hours or more (including stops) then even a 30 minute drive wouldn't have much impact.

I do drive 9 miles to the airport. Can't tell you for sure how far I would drive, but when I lived in Harford County, I moved the plane from an airport about 6 miles from my house to one 23 miles from my house to get a hangar, instrument approaches, and a longer runway. That said, given my 'druthers, I'druther live in a house attached to my hangar. Does that help?

Never measured the distance, but it takes about 20 to 25 minutes to get to the hangar from my house depending on traffic. Tune up the ATIS on the ham rig in the Jeep as I approach the airport, then shift to the tower. Good way to more firmly get my head in the game before starting the pre-flight inspection.

Like Ron, I would love to have a hangar at my house. Of course, I'd have to move cause the only thing you're going to tie down near my house is a float plane. And salt water isn't good for those things.

Well I found an open hangar today that is about a 40 min drive from where I will be moving. But here is the kicker, the airport is closing from May to December for a major overhaul, new longer runway, new office building etc. so I declined that one. I found 15ac for $17K that is flat and has enough from for a 2000' grass strip, so I am going Saturday to check it out.

Well I found an open hangar today that is about a 40 min drive from where I will be moving. But here is the kicker, the airport is closing from May to December for a major overhaul, new longer runway, new office building etc. so I declined that one.
Dean, what airport is that? BTW, I'm still asking around for you in this area. There may be a hangar available at Woodfield, that challenging airstrip with the GIANT ditch in the middle that we saw from the air.

Well I know I can get a hangar right now, heated/cooled with power, that is about a 45-60 minute drive away for $140 a month.

I just rather drive the 15 minutes to the closer airport, even if I am on a tie-down. Why? Simple...I spend a LOT of time at the airport. Like I said earlier, the wife does not mind since I am only fifteen minutes away.

Make it an hour away and I would just not go there during the week, and only on the weekends when I fly. Now I go whenever the fancy strikes me.

Well I know I can get a hangar right now, heated/cooled with power, that is about a 45-60 minute drive away for $140 a month.

I just rather drive the 15 minutes to the closer airport, even if I am on a tie-down. Why? Simple...I spend a LOT of time at the airport. Like I said earlier, the wife does not mind since I am only fifteen minutes away.

Make it an hour away and I would just not go there during the week, and only on the weekends when I fly. Now I go whenever the fancy strikes me.

An hour to the airport would be a problem for me too, but I'd probably consider an airport 30 minutes away with an ILS, paved runways, and a hangar if the other choice was 10 minutes but had none of that.

There is an airport that's closer to my home than the one where I keep my planes but it's grass has no cross runways (and obviously no ILS) and I'd have to build a hangar. I have thought about keeping the Porterfield there but I find it convenient to have both planes in the same hangar and the grass strip is quite a bit further from my office anyway (that strip is in the opposite direction from home as my office).

26 miles. New T-hangars in the works. In a community hangar right now.

1.6 miles. I can run and be there in 15 minutes. I'm right under "power reduction, downwind, L traffic, 17 3MY." 4 minutes in the car.

I'd go 30 minutes but much more would just kill me.

About 6 miles, 10 minutes away from my house. About 2 miles, 4 minutes away from my office. I'm not complaining!

Attachments

• IMGA1627.JPG
    IMGA1627.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 8
Hangar? What is this "hangar" you speak of?

Image010.jpg

Richard, I was going to ask how long it takes for you to put all those wing and cowl covers on, but then I realized it's probably a lot less than the time it would take to get all the frost off the wings if they weren't covered.

My hangar is about 7-8 miles from home. I drive about 50-55 minutes to work, so I guess the distance I would drive to my bird would be about the same if I absolutely had to.

Richard, I was going to ask how long it takes for you to put all those wing and cowl covers on, but then I realized it's probably a lot less than the time it would take to get all the frost off the wings if they weren't covered.

Which is the only reason I wrestle with the darn things.

VG's and wing covers don't go together too well either, but whatareyagonnado :dunno:

Dean,

You going to be anywhere near Neosho?

I am heading to Stockton Lake, transfer will be May 1st, but they are going to leave me here until June 1st. School is out May 25th and they agreed to wait until then. Its looking like we will try and buy a lot at the Woodfield Airpark and put up a hangar and house there. I talked to Diana's mechanic and he is going to let us use his until we get ours up. It will be nice to walk out the back door, preflight and take off.

Its looking like we will try and buy a lot at the Woodfield Airpark and put up a hangar and house there. I talked to Diana's mechanic and he is going to let us use his until we get ours up. It will be nice to walk out the back door, preflight and take off.
Wow! That's great! We'll almost be neighbors. :)

Its looking like we will try and buy a lot at the Woodfield Airpark and put up a hangar and house there. I talked to Diana's mechanic and he is going to let us use his until we get ours up. It will be nice to walk out the back door, preflight and take off.

Dean, you lucky dog!:yes:

Back