How does someone like this pass an IPC or a BFR?

Here was my clearance yesterday. Unfortunately you can't hear my side. The controller went pretty slow, which was appreciated but she could've gone a little faster. Start around 21:28. I love how she said it was a medium length clearance. :p

https://archive.liveatc.net/kbed/KBED1-Del-May-28-2022-1400Z.mp3

Hanscom has been doing that for a little while, they had a guy for a while who must've been an auctioneer wannabe, he wouldn't even take a breath. I prefer them a little slow versus too fast.

Hanscom has been doing that for a little while, they had a guy for a while who must've been an auctioneer wannabe, he wouldn't even take a breath. I prefer them a little slow versus too fast.

maybe the guys in the tower had a little contest regarding who could get the most requests for repeats.

Here was my clearance yesterday. Unfortunately you can't hear my side. The controller went pretty slow, which was appreciated but she could've gone a little faster. Start around 21:28. I love how she said it was a medium length clearance. :p

Nice job from the controller.

I'm a little curious though... What did you file? It seems that heading west toward BDL (even a direct route) would have bypassed the NY/PHL/DC area entirely and cut a bunch of time out of the flight.

Nice job from the controller.

I'm a little curious though... What did you file? It seems that heading west toward BDL (even a direct route) would have bypassed the NY/PHL/DC area entirely and cut a bunch of time out of the flight.
I thought I filed something other than direct but it was direct. I figured I was well enough away from NY airspace I'd get it. Maybe they were being proactive for the weather that was along the route. It all worked out.

Don’t know about FF, but Garmin Pilot will send and email with proposed ATC route changes after it’s submitted. So in theory you just have to confirm there’s no subsequent changes.

Don’t know about FF, but Garmin Pilot will send and email with proposed ATC route changes after it’s submitted. So in theory you just have to confirm there’s no subsequent changes.

That's a nice feature. Since Garmin Pilot has to get route changes from ATC somehow, do you know if Leidos offers the same notification? Seems like the FAA's contractor could provide this too without the cost of a subscription.

That's a nice feature. Since Garmin Pilot has to get route changes from ATC somehow, do you know if Leidos offers the same notification? Seems like the FAA's contractor could provide this too without the cost of a subscription.
Yes. I typically get an email from Leidos shortly before departure with any updated routing. I think I checked a box somewhere in Leidos to get alerts. Then again, I do all my filing directly via Leidos; not sure what would happen if I filed through a third party.

Sometimes the revisions are fairly petty: DARTE ACT CQY Direct is typically changed to DARTE V17 ACT CQY Direct.

In the post by Neal, I bet that routing would have been visible in Leidos beforehand.

Yes. I typically get an email from Leidos shortly before departure with any updated routing. I think I checked a box somewhere in Leidos to get alerts. Then again, I do all my filing directly via Leidos; not sure what would happen if I filed through a third party.

Sometimes the revisions are fairly petty: DARTE ACT CQY Direct is typically changed to DARTE V17 ACT CQY Direct.

Thanks for the feedback. I need to revisit my settings at Leidos. I do think they provide pretty decent service for the cost.

Ah yes, 1 800WXBrief. Didn’t know the Leidos name.

In the post by Neal, I bet that routing would have been visible in Leidos beforehand.

I found it at Leidos (1800wxbrief). It's on the Dashboard, ATC Notices

upload_2022-5-29_9-3-28.png

I LOVE the Flight Stream.
I do, too. I would rather have a FS plus GNS than a new touch screen GPS.

I have posted before where my ride had an old style II Morrow GPS (which replaced a LORAN). It was a good unit, but I didn't like the Click click click Click click ad nauseum. So I sprung for a 530W. I assumed that in the many years between the GX55 and the 530, someone would have come up with a better way of entering data. Imagine my surprise.

Gary's plane had a FS, and he did a video on using it. As soon as I saw that video, I was sold.

The reason I made the conclusion about this guy that I did was because using the FS, I could almost keep up with the reroute on the video without writing it down. If I thought that I was going to hear "Cleared as filed," I might not have had paper on hand. I have an Apple pencil, but that doesn't really do anything more for me than a cheap ball point pen with the rubber tip. That way I can write on my iPad or paper with the same item, which is always at hand. I use Rod Machado's rubber band trick, so it is truly "at hand."

Not saying the guy's response is correct, but I can understand how someone can get caught in his position. After the clearance issue, he just lost SA, and that resulted in the incursion. As I said earlier, the controller did him no favors.

FF, Garmin Pilot, and Leidos itself (and I suppose every EFB which files though your Leidos ID) have that feature.

But confirming no subsequent changes still requires copying the clearance. That appears to be exactly what happened with the pilot in the video. He just wanted to confirm changes so he didn't copy the clearance, causing a whole lot of confusion for himself and the controller even though the clearance hadn't changed.

Note that the echoed back expected route is usually what you get but no guarantee. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, my rather straightforward route out of OWD got through all those hoops right down to the strip printer at OWD tower and they said "yeah, that won't work."

As mentioned before, I plan on four clearances which may or may not be the same.
1 The one I file
2 The one F Flight says I’ll get
3 The one I copy from clearance and then load into the GTN
4 The one I change to while in the air

Got to be prepared to fly #3 while at same time trained enough to change to #4.

I use Garmin Pilot. My email came back as direct.

FF, Garmin Pilot, and Leidos itself (and I suppose every EFB which files though your Leidos ID) have that feature.

But confirming no subsequent changes still requires copying the clearance. That appears to be exactly what happened with the pilot in the video. He just wanted to confirm changes so he didn't copy the clearance, causing a whole lot of confusion for himself and the controller even though the clearance hadn't changed.

I use foreflight, the expected route is garbage way more than half the time, so no time saved preloading that. I just don't worry about copying clearances any more, once I stopped worrying, the "clearance anxiety" went away. I generally have no problems, but I insist that I have the route written correctly before I let the controller go. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. That is rare though.

Reactions: WDD
One time I filed from Easton, MD direct to Winston-Salem. The controller read back "as filed", then he paused, and said, "wait a minute, is that what you filed? Direct WS?", I said "yes", he came back laughing and said " that won't work, they'll reroute in air, give me a minute." He came back with route with a couple more waypoints. No big deal.

F Flight provides how often a suggested route was cleared recently which I find helpful.

Uhm, @DavidWhite remember Tom? The guy that kept losing sight of the 13,000 ft runway right next to us at night?

Anyhow, lot of people that shouldn’t fly, when I ran into them I fired them. Problem is, they find an instructor that’ll help them out anyhow.

They were keeping you out of weather. I like it when they do that.
Yes, but route #1 would have done the same. They took me towards the weather with route #2. It all worked out in the end.

As mentioned before, I plan on four clearances which may or may not be the same.
1 The one I file
2 The one F Flight says I’ll get
3 The one I copy from clearance and then load into the GTN
4 The one I change to while in the air

Got to be prepared to fly #3 while at same time trained enough to change to #4.

I learned this the first time I did an IFR XC. I filed what I thought was a sane route. The clearance CD gave me was something completely different. No problem, reprogrammed it into the GPS. Takeoff, contact departure. "We've got a new route for you." OK, get things cleaned up. Ready to copy... Hey, wait a second, this is what I filed originally.

My AF pilot friend told me the basic rules:

1. File what you want.
2. Fly what you get.
3. Log what you need.

2nd post on this thread. I just went back and re-listened to the recording and it brought to mind one of my latest instrument students. He has an older Bonanza that is pristine with a panel to die for. Garmin G500, 750, GFC 500 A/P and the list continues. I told him that I would help him get his IR after he failed his first ride after going to a ten day intense school. I read the letter that the owner of the school gave him telling him good luck in the future. Ding Ding Ding warning bells going off. I asked why he just didn’t stay and re-do and finish there…uhmmm I needed to get home.
This guy is in his 70’s and learned in a 172 with a G-1000 and never flew steam. After approximately six hours over four flights I got out and told him he needed to go learn how to fly first.
1. Radio one on ATC and the second position on ATIS and radio two on ground??? I tried to correct that but he said that was the way he learned…I said “Ok, you will regret it”…all the way up to when he switched off approach to get the ATIS and I asked “Who are we talking to?”….of course now he didn’t remember the approach freq and I gave it to him only to hear approach calling and asking where was he. It got worse.
2. Every takeoff involved weaving on the runway followed with a rotation that was a steep pitching movement that I would put my hand up and push to avoid a stall all while drifting off the runway.
3. Last landing with a light left crosswind and we almost went off the left side of the runway???
There is so much more.
I got out and told him good luck and walked away.
More money than ability
Sadly he will destroy a wonderful plane and maybe take others with him.

Back