How do you forget to lower the gear?

So just a couple of quick questions.

Besides when doing GUMP, who here refers to the landing gear as undercarriage rather than gear? We say main gear, nose gear, gear up, gear down, gear handle, gear horn, etc.

Also, when talking about the liquid that goes in the tanks, who routinely says gas rather than fuel? We typically say fuel tanks, fuel pump, fuel flow, fuel injected, fuel selector, etc.

That is something that has always bothered me about the acronym. It is so contrived.

Yeah, it’s contrived. Contrived to be pronounceable, memorable and therefore more likely to be used. Say FGMP a few times.

Yeah, it’s contrived. Contrived to be pronounceable, memorable and therefore more likely to be used. Say FGMP a few times.

And you need a memorable, pronounceable acronym to help you memorize four words? Why not just memorize four words?

GAMP then?
Gear Avgas etc

I’m probably going to be a mess in the pattern tomorrow trying to not think about this thread.

This is for you guys who claim you hate acronyms and never use them. Recognize any?

GUMPS, NDB, VOR, CRAFT, ETA, ETE, SOS, PAN(pan pan), POTUS, SCUBA, KISS, FUBAR, ASAP, BASE (jumping), GIF, TAZER, AFK, LOL, CIA, FBI, ATF, CPS, UPS, USPS, NPS, ETC, NASA, DMV, OSHA, NAFTA, SWAT, POW, MIA, AWOL, DOA, DOB, DIY, AIDS, ADHD, ADD, HIV, FAQ, AKA, DBA, EST, CST, MST, PST, DST, MBA, MD, HR, NASDAQ, AA, AAA, AARP, ESPN, NBC, CBS, HBO, TBS, CMT, BBC, FOX, MTV, NatGeo, NFL, NHL, NBA, PGA,SPCA, ATM, RIP, TGIF, SMYT, S&M, BSD, RTFM, STFU, ID, PC, SOL, WD40, YAHOO, IKEA, LASER, GEICO, USAA, NFCU, BofA, PenFed, AFLAC, SPAM, A&W, BMW, TCBY, 3M, CDROM, AHOLE

This guy flew a couple hundred miles after this....

He flew it about 70 miles. This happened at my home airpark a few years ago. I didn’t live here yet, but have heard about it from a lot of neighbors who saw it happen. The pilot flew to KFXE and the plane is still there. There are gouges from the props in the pavement.

This is for you guys who claim you hate acronyms and never use them. Recognize any?

GUMPS, NDB, VOR, CRAFT, ETA, ETE, SOS, PAN(pan pan), POTUS, SCUBA, KISS, FUBAR, ASAP, BASE (jumping), GIF, TAZER, AFK, LOL, CIA, FBI, ATF, CPS, UPS, USPS, NPS, ETC, NASA, DMV, OSHA, NAFTA, SWAT, POW, MIA, AWOL, DOA, DOB, DIY, AIDS, ADHD, ADD, HIV, FAQ, AKA, DBA, EST, CST, MST, PST, DST, MBA, MD, HR, NASDAQ, AA, AAA, AARP, ESPN, NBC, CBS, HBO, TBS, CMT, BBC, FOX, MTV, NatGeo, NFL, NHL, NBA, PGA,SPCA, ATM, RIP, TGIF, SMYT, S&M, BSD, RTFM, STFU, ID, PC, SOL, WD40, YAHOO, IKEA, LASER, GEICO, USAA, NFCU, BofA, PenFed, AFLAC, SPAM, A&W, BMW, TCBY, 3M, CDROM, AHOLE
Have no idea what a significant percentage of those stand for. Also, none of those after the first one are used for a critical phase of flight or any sort of checklist.

You forgot the MILF.

Have no idea what a significant percentage of those stand for. Also, none of those after the first one are used for a critical phase of flight or any sort of checklist.
I tend to use CRAFT as a check list

Do not confused abbreviations or acronyms with mnemonics. POTUS is an acronym. PAN PAN isn't any of these, it's just a term corrupted from a foreign language.

ARROW always seemed to have been strained to force things to match. O varies widely from aircraft to what it means. W is not required specifically by any regulation other than it is part of the O in most cases (at least part of it).

I don't. Just write down the clearance as given. XXX filed 040 090/10 nnn.nn 7112
Yep, and CRAFT helps me to verify I got it all. Just because you don't use something as a check list doesn't mean others won't.
No critique intended for how you do things. If it works for someone, I'm generally don't critique a technique.

If you didn't get it all, clearance will repeat it. ;)

Most of these aren’t acronyms. You have acronyms, initialisms, and mnemonics all mixed together.

And what does “TAZER” stand for?

..which is exactly the reason I say the mnemonic often becomes more important than what it represents. With GUMP, someone along the way selected four of the many items we check and adjust for the landing phase. I'm guessing the four were selected, not because of relative importance, but because them made something pronounceable. So we teach "Prop" and "Undercarriage" in airplane in which neither is adjustable by the pilot. At the opposite end, the mnemonic is often added to because the basic one doesn't cover enough. Despite the "undercarriage," GUMP is one of three mnemonic devices with at least some utility. But it doesn't do enough. It doesn't cover carb heat, boost pumps, wing flap, cowl flaps, etc, so we end up with long useless bastardizations in which the essentials are lost.

Most of these aren’t acronyms. You have acronyms, initialisms, and mnemonics all mixed together.

You don't expect someone who doesn't know the difference between an acronym or a mnemonic to realize they misspellt Taser, do you? Or to know that it is an acronym for Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle? :D

Do not confused abbreviations or acronyms with mnemonics. POTUS is an acronym. PAN PAN isn't any of these, it's just a term corrupted from a foreign language.

ARROW always seemed to have been strained to force things to match. O varies widely from aircraft to what it means. W is not required specifically by any regulation other than it is part of the O in most cases (at least part of it).

PAN Possible Assistance Needed

Airworthiness Certificate
Radio License - which is no longer required
Registration
Operating Manual - (POH - Flight Manual etc.. simple)
Weight and Balance (Required on aircraft to be Airworthy)

This is not rocket science.

Registration

Pan is a misspelling of the French word panne, which means “breakdown” as in mechanical problem. That’s why it’s pronounced “pahn”. Similar to Mayday being “m’aidez”, French for “help me.”

Registration

The "O" actually stands for operating "limitations," not "manual." Grab the required paperwork for a 1950s era airplane and you will see why.

And one can get into some very interesting discussions about airplanes which do not have a requirement for a weight and balance on board in order to be airworthy.

You are correct, these are not all acronyms. I felt the point was, we all use abbreviated meanings commonly in our lives and for the most part have no issues with it. But for some reason when it comes to aviation it becomes too difficult to learn.

Tazer was a typo and actually I mean to take it out when I put in Laser, but forgot. I apologize and promise to try my best next time. I do occasionally make mistakes, which is why I repeat GUMPS over and over and over in the pattern.

The "O" actually stands for operating "limitations," not "manual." Grab the required paperwork for a 1950s era airplane and you will see why.

And one can get into some very interesting discussions about airplanes which do not have a requirement for a weight and balance on board in order to be airworthy.

It's possible, however I learned it back in the 70s as manual. But if you are correct I can easily remember the abbreviation and know that 'limitations' are found in the manual. Not a problem for me. Other's milage may vary. Oh, there's an abbreviation for that too.

It's not likely that a student pilot, or even most pilots, who should be learning ARROW, are going to be learning in, or flying one of those aircraft. If they do, then they are the exception to the norm and should still learn it for most airplanes.

Last edited:
and ever so happily too. Failure to repeat a clearance back properly only ties up radio time, the controllers time and makes the pilot appear unprofessional.

Oh I know, you're not a professional pilot...

Well, at least not one with an onset of Alzheimer's and various complexes.

Recently I've heard waaaaaaaay more 121 135 and paid 91 pilots tying up the frequency with missed calls and clearances than I have us "lowly" pay for our own fuel pilots. So much for being a pro, eh?

If you didn't get it all, clearance will repeat it. ;)
I'm sure they will repeat it. Using my check list helps me to verify whether I need it repeated by ATC.

Again, it works for me. I'm not trying to change how you do things, your method obviously works for you.

and ever so happily too. Failure to repeat a clearance back properly only ties up radio time, the controllers time and makes the pilot appear unprofessional.
Oh I know, you're not a professional pilot...
I'm less concerned with me being appearing unprofessional than making sure it is correct and not wasting the controller's time.

Well, that's a thoughtful and reasoned response. I'm curious, why does someone using CRAFT as a check list bother you so?

I've learned theythere may be several ways to accomplish the same task. Some are easier. In certain circumstances, some ways are safer, but that doesn't apply in this case. With the exceptions of the dangerous actions, I generally don't care how someone does something.

Last edited:

Recently I've heard waaaaaaaay more 121 135 and paid 91 pilots tying up the frequency with missed calls and clearances than I have us "lowly" pay for our own fuel pilots. So much for being a pro, eh?

I think a lot more of them are getting clearances then us lowly pay for our own fuel pilots . Eh?

I think a lot more of them are getting clearances then us lowly pay for our own fuel pilots . Eh?

Then we what?

Maybe you should come up with a mnemonics for then versus than. You know, because you want to be so professional in appearance.

That's made up. The radio call PAN like MAYDAY are anglicizations of the French words panne and m'aidez respectively.

Registration
But you're wrong about the O and the W. Not all aircraft are required to have a flight manual. My aircraft has one, but it is not the required operating limitations. There's a separate set of operating limitations and required placards. You won't find anything that says W&B is required though those it's usually rolled into the "O". For example, my airplane is required to have the envelope limits in the plane and a seperate equipment list.

Even when the Radio License was required ARROW was a list forced into the mnemonic. The O is often misstated (as you said). The W requirement is not directly required. There are often additional documents required (my plane requires a bunch of supplements to the non-existant flight manual as well as the presence of the manuals for several of the avionics: IFR GPS and Autopilot).

It's not likely that a student pilot, or even most pilots, who should be learning ARROW, are going to be learning in, or flying one of those aircraft. If they do, then they are the exception to the norm and should still learn it for most airplanes.
It's still WRONG for most airplanes.

Then we what?

Maybe you should come up with a mnemonics for then versus than. You know, because you want to be so professional in appearance.

You are correct, I do want to appear professional. I take a lot of pride in my aviation abilities and I want to portray a good image to others. You are free to behave any way you want, but others do see it.

It's still WRONG for most airplanes.

You're saying 'MOST' airplanes are not required to:

Have an Airworthiness Certificate?
Have a Registration Certifcate?
Have an Operating Manual - POH, Flight Manual, Limitations etc?
Have a Weight and Balance?

I'm open to learning new things and I actually enjoy it. Please explain how this is wrong so I can learn.

You are correct, I do want to appear professional. I take a lot of pride in my aviation abilities and I want to portray a good image to others. You are free to behave any way you want, but others do see it.

Yep, and on my last flight I was with a 121 captain in the right seat who said I'd make a great airline captain and my radio work was top notch (or the equivalent I don't remember the exact words). All without mnemonics. Go figure.

It's possible, however I learned it back in the 70s as manual. But if you are correct I can easily remember the abbreviation and know that 'limitations' are found in the manual. Not a problem for me. Other's milage may vary. Oh, there's an abbreviation for that too.

"Those" aircraft include 60's era Cherokees and Cessnas. They still seem to be in pretty wide use as primary trainers.

Funny, just this past week, I was contacted by a CFI who had done most of his training in newer aircraft (post 1980 :D). He was faced with a private student who owns a 1972 Cessna 172. It does not have an "approved airplane flight manual" (not required until 1979) and has an "owner's manual" which is not N-Number specific and doesn't follow the POH format started about 3 years later. It's limitations are a combination of a limitations chapter in the owner's manual, its TCDS and CAR 3. It has a weight and balance data sheet (and instruction how to use it) but it is one of those very few models without a specific requirement to have it on board.

You're saying 'MOST' airplanes are not required to:

Have an Airworthiness Certificate?
Have a Registration Certifcate?
Have an Operating Manual - POH, Flight Manual, Limitations etc?
Have a Weight and Balance?

I'm open to learning new things and I actually enjoy it. Please explain how this is wrong so I can learn.

I've said it in my initial statement and in my rebuttal to your previous insults. There is nothing in the regs that require W&B as a stand-alone document. It is only required because it's part of the "O" or the like. As I stated, in your insulting response to me you said "operating manual." I pointed out that was incorrect.

Yep, and on my last flight I was with a 121 captain in the right seat who said I'd make a great airline captain and my radio work was top notch (or the equivalent I don't remember the exact words). All without mnemonics. Go figure.

You can brag all you want, there's only one God and you're not him. Go figure.

Back