How do you fill your lower wage jobs?

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
I know there are tons of biz owers, and I'm sure HR guys/gals here, so I figure I'll see you POA has the secrete.

I own and operate a small independent pharmacy/medical supply company. We do a lot of deliveries to customers and need drivers to get my stuff out there!

I'm having the hardest time recruiting new drivers. Its a pretty simple job as we route all the deliveries before the driver leaves- so they follow the route, drop off the packages, and come back to base. Its usually the perfect job for a semi-retired guy/girl or a younger kid who is not sure what they want to do in life yet.

I have a few really good drivers and are looking to add some more part timers.

I am having trouble getting interviews and filling the jobs. We have had to recruit before but this is time it seems to be a little harder getting decent candidates.

So my questions:

1. Where do people find works best for advertising for these types of jobs?
2. How much would you think is a fair wage for a job such as this (maybe my salary is all wrong??) ?
3. What other practices do you employee to, well, actually get employees.

As always thanks for your responses!

We have had trouble attracting dependable help also. It is yet one more sign of an improving economy. advertise on Craigslist. increase pay incrementally until you find interest.

I know there are tons of biz owers, and I'm sure HR guys/gals here, so I figure I'll see you POA has the secrete.

I own and operate a small independent pharmacy/medical supply company. We do a lot of deliveries to customers and need drivers to get my stuff out there!

I'm having the hardest time recruiting new drivers. Its a pretty simple job as we route all the deliveries before the driver leaves- so they follow the route, drop off the packages, and come back to base. Its usually the perfect job for a semi-retired guy/girl or a younger kid who is not sure what they want to do in life yet.

I am having trouble getting interviews and filling the jobs. We have had to recruit before but this is time it seems to be a little harder getting decent candidates.

So my questions:

2. How much would you think is a fair wage for a job such as this (maybe my salary is all wrong??) ?

I did this job as a teenager back in the mid 70s, for 5 bucks an afternoon. The perk was I got to drive the owners new F-100 pickup..!!!

You said you're trying to get a few more part timers - are you only interested in part time? Some people might be looking for full time.

You might want to look at how what you offer compares to Uber or various restaurants (pizza places, etc.) that offer delivery to make sure what you're offering is competitive. Keep in mind that your job won't result in tips so people are going to take that into consideration.

Are you providing them cars or is part of the pay using their vehicles? How are they getting paid for use of their vehicles if the latter? Maybe give the option? Whenever I travel I try to take mileage instead of a rental or company car because I own much nicer/more fun cars to drive.

If you want a totally random data point.
My handicapped daughter is making $10.75 per hour (just got a .75 raise) washing dishes part time at a Senior Living place
They had a sign out front "culinary help wanted $10.00/hour" (the place is on a pretty busy road - M85).

You said you're trying to get a few more part timers - are you only interested in part time? Some people might be looking for full time.

You might want to look at how what you offer compares to Uber or various restaurants (pizza places, etc.) that offer delivery to make sure what you're offering is competitive. Keep in mind that your job won't result in tips so people are going to take that into consideration.

Are you providing them cars or is part of the pay using their vehicles? How are they getting paid for use of their vehicles if the latter? Maybe give the option? Whenever I travel I try to take mileage instead of a rental or company car because I own much nicer/more fun cars to drive.

Thanks,

A few things-

-They use a company car- it's the way my insurance company advises us to do it. If they get in a accident it's easier if it's on a commercial policy then if they are using their personal car.

-I try to do part time because its always been easier to replace employees when they leave. If I give a driver 40 hrs/week- when they leave its that much harder to fill in their hours until I get a replacement. I would be open to full time for the right person, so I guess I couldn't include that in the add (future room for more work if you work out, etc)

-I'm pretty sure that you are on to something with Uber/Amazon, etc. Certainly more competition for similar jobs.

My company really doesn't have any low paid workers, but my GF's art studio/restaurant/wine bar does. She has had good results posting jobs on Nextdoor.com, but her venue is attractive to people who like art. Craigslist hasn't worked well for her (poor quality candidates). You may have to pay more for delivering pharmaceuticals. Many young people don't drive or wouldn't qualify on your insurance and that shrinks the pool of low paid workers. Retired people may not want to be in and out of their car all day. As Ted mentioned, how you reimburse or if you have company vehicles may make a difference. We have a handful of company vehicles at my company and they are in demand, though some people like to milk the mileage if they have an older inexpensive car.

-They use a company car- it's the way my insurance company advises us to do it. If they get in a accident it's easier if it's on a commercial policy then if they are using their personal car.

-I try to do part time because its always been easier to replace employees when they leave. If I give a driver 40 hrs/week- when they leave its that much harder to fill in their hours until I get a replacement. I would be open to full time for the right person, so I guess I couldn't include that in the add (future room for more work if you work out, etc)

-I'm pretty sure that you are on to something with Uber/Amazon, etc. Certainly more competition for similar jobs.

Completely understand on wanting people to use the company car. I know for me that would make the job less attractive if I were in that market.

Also completely understand on the part time, but it might be worth wording the ad as "part time or full time positions available" and then just leave that door open, depending on how things go when you talk to people. I think one of the problems people in those positions have is they want a job, but a lot of employers only want part time so they may have to get several jobs to make ends me. You probably have limitations on how flexible you can be as far as working hours go, but it might be worth including that.

My guess is that if you checked your pay and tried to pay a bit more and put your ads in as part or full time to allow options for both, then you'd get more response. Also, people like companies that are good to work for, so anything you can put in as a perk/benefit might be worthwhile. Not sure if you're advertising what you're paying but it'd probably be good to include that.

I did this job as a teenager back in the mid 70s, for 5 bucks an afternoon. The perk was I got to drive the owners new F-100 pickup..!!!
There ya go, you need to use the right set of wheels to attract the talent.

If you want a totally random data point.
My handicapped daughter is making $10.75 per hour (just got a .75 raise) washing dishes part time at a Senior Living place
They had a sign out front "culinary help wanted $10.00/hour" (the place is on a pretty busy road - M85).

Hmmm. I think that's about what my handicapped daughter (Downs) is making for bagging groceries part time at Publix. Great company; they have treated her very well for several years now.

OP, have you considered hiring the mentally handicapped? Insurance might be a problem, but it could be entertaining to watch, and they couldn't possibly be worse than 25% of the drivers already on the road. :)

facebook. there are many town/city classifieds facebook groups

The economy is good.... I'm not at such a company currently, but I've worked in a couple of manufacturing environments that will hire machine operators off of the street; really, anyone that can pass a pee test and speaks "functional" English (literacy optional). Right now, those places are hiring part-time/contract ~$16/hr and FT for $20+ once someone has proven themselves (this is all in MA).

Have you evaluated your requirements (stated or otherwise) and really reduced those down to your absolute needs? You may be OK with something that someone else isn't. I had decent luck a couple of times with hiring for "mothers hours".

So my questions:

I don't think the economy is getting better, it is just getting different. There is no motivation for people to work as there is enough handouts for them to survive. They are now comfortable doing nothing and living in their mom's basement. I run a manufacturing company that does low end work, stamping parts, hanging parts on a conveyor, light assembly, etc. We can barely find enough people who can focus on ONE task. That is it, that is the limit of their abilities. I expect someone on here to say pay them more, well even if that was economically possible I don't think I would see one ****'s work of increased output. I have become cynical and burn through them as fast as the temp agency can send them. I don't have an answer, just bitching. We just rolled out an employee referral program, will see if that provides us any results.

I don't think the economy is getting better, it is just getting different. There is no motivation for people to work as there is enough handouts for them to survive. They are now comfortable doing nothing and living in their mom's basement. I run a manufacturing company that does low end work, stamping parts, hanging parts on a conveyor, light assembly, etc. We can barely find enough people who can focus on ONE task. That is it, that is the limit of their abilities. I expect someone on here to say pay them more, well even if that was economically possible I don't think I would see one ****'s work of increased output. I have become cynical and burn through them as fast as the temp agency can send them. I don't have an answer, just bitching. We just rolled out an employee referral program, will see if that provides us any results.
This is true. I find a lot of folks who say they will only work if they are paid under the table. another reason to abolish the income tax and convert to a national sales tax.

On the other hand, there are a lot of handouts available to me and I could live at my parent's place if I wanted but I am not interested in that. I could have technically been on food stamps for a while and only took unemployment for ~6 months after being laid off. Not everyone's interested in the bare minimum

Post it at a AA meeting or something?

Post it at a AA meeting or something?

Or maybe post flyers in liquor stores and medical marijuana dispensaries?

OP, not sure where you are in MA, but if there are colleges nearby I would think a few flyers on their bulletin boards would get results. College kids are often strapped for cash and looking for part-time work with some flexibility on hours to accommodate a class schedule. Also any bookstores, coffee shops, etc., located near a campus might be good.

Or maybe post flyers in liquor stores and medical marijuana dispensaries?

OP, not sure where you are in MA, but if there are colleges nearby I would think a few flyers on their bulletin boards would get results. College kids are often strapped for cash and looking for part-time work with some flexibility on hours to accommodate a class schedule. Also any bookstores, coffee shops, etc., located near a campus might be good.

Yeah, but legit though, maybe talk to some parole officers, read the stats on excons, might be worth looking at

If these people are delivering pharmaceuticals, there might actually be some background requirements for the job. Parolees may not be the best applicant pool.

If your deliveries are not time sensitive (less than a 1 hr. window), might I suggest you work a deal with a local courier company. When I had my company, I had several medial accounts where I picked up tapes and delivered to various "work from home" transcribers. They were happy to pay me a $10 delivery charge as it wasn't critical (time wise) as long as the tapes were delivered by end of day. This worked out great for my guys as they could use the medical stuff as fillers when timing their pickups and drop-offs with other items on their routes.

I run a manufacturing company that does low end work, stamping parts, hanging parts on a conveyor, light assembly, etc. We can barely find enough people who can focus on ONE task.

Sounds like you're a good candidate for robots. They're getting cheaper and cheaper these days to implement. ;)

If these people are delivering pharmaceuticals, there might actually be some background requirements for the job. Parolees may not be the best applicant pool.

:yeahthat:

I do a full CORI check on my employees. It's a liability thing. I don't want the DEA or local police to question why I have a excon delivering Mrs. Smith's heart meds when he robs her. That's a nightmare better off avoiding if at all possible.

If your deliveries are not time sensitive (less than a 1 hr. window), might I suggest you work a deal with a local courier company. When I had my company, I had several medial accounts where I picked up tapes and delivered to various "work from home" transcribers. They were happy to pay me a $10 delivery charge as it wasn't critical (time wise) as long as the tapes were delivered by end of day. This worked out great for my guys as they could use the medical stuff as fillers when timing their pickups and drop-offs with other items on their routes.

That's not a bad idea, however, last time I price shopped a few couriers they wanted too much $/delivery. My business is in volume, and my margins don't allow me to pay $10/delivery.

Also not a bad idea, worth trying for sure.

As always thanks to all for the helpful replies. :D

Have you already advertised on indeed.com? I usually get decent responses. The only trouble is it's too easy for people to apply, so you may have to sift through several resumes to get to a good one.

Man.... I can be a supplier for these guys. Anyway buying fart or poo?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

One of the pills I am taking for my heart really gives me gas. I mean it's like deflating the Goodyear Blimp....

I am not sure if they will let me back in Safeway.....

I just started a new assignment and they had me "provide a sample."

I think it's the 2nd time in the 22 years since I left corporate employment. I was a little surprised about having to empty my pockets, show my ankles and waist line, don't flush, don't wash your hands [icky].

I'm like, don't you just need me to fill a cup?

Anyway, I guess there is an industry out there to mess with the tests.

I'd see if any local schools like community colleges or even better anyone who does training in any way related to medical stuff has a place where you could post an ad. Heck send a help wanted ad out with the deliveries- someone probably knows someone who needs a job.

One of the pills I am taking for my heart really gives me gas. I mean it's like deflating the Goodyear Blimp....

I am not sure if they will let me back in Safeway.....
Yogurt. Every day. None of that carb buster stuff.

Unemployment is down to 4.1%, so I think the economy is getting better. Add to that, employers are finding it harder to get good workers at old rates.

Paying more doesn't necessarily make the current workers better, it means you can hire better new workers.

Unemployment is down to 4.1%, so I think the economy is getting better. Add to that, employers are finding it harder to get good workers at old rates.

Paying more doesn't necessarily make the current workers better, it means you can hire better new workers.

This. Workers are moving toward shorter supply. The job market is signaling to you that you're not a preferred employer. What can you do to change the market's view of you?

If you cannot afford to pay them more, can you afford to not have them? Maybe add some perks? I suspect a lot of people are turned off by the part time status for something that is really a pretty important job. Where can you trim?

Add to that, employers are finding it harder to get good workers at old rates.

This is also seeing an impact from retiring baby-boomers. Seems like I'm going to a retirement party every week or two.

A little off-topic, but...
My profession is being hit hard. Take a look at the pic below from Electronic Design magazine's survey in 2017.

upload_2018-1-10_9-41-16.png

56% of engineers are over age 55, and could likely retire tomorrow if they chose. The recent stock boom has made our 401k plans very healthy and lots of folks are retiring a bit early.

Heck, from this survey, 70% are over age 50! This is becoming a serious problem. The upside, though, is that retirees can make a boatload of money with a little part-time consulting if they like.

Last edited:
We use temp agencies. We've found that lower paid employees are less reliable and we need a large pool of people ready to go. I know it sounds bad, but when you pay a warehouse employee $10.50/hour and the local Dairy Queen starts at $11/hour, we can't keep people. Try telling the corporation how much money and time is wasted training someone only to lose them and they don't care.

If your low wage job pays less than my gov. benefits, or the income you report for me reduces, or eliminates my benefits, I'm not taking your job. Take this under the table and we can talk.
One of the greatest insults is the fact that we've allowed social security income to be taxed.
You, like most other small business owners always try your best to follow the rules, but in this situation, your simple solution is the quiet application of cash and barter.

If your low wage job pays less than my gov. benefits, or the income you report for me reduces, or eliminates my benefits, I'm not taking your job. Take this under the table and we can talk.
One of the greatest insults is the fact that we've allowed social security income to be taxed.
You, like most other small business owners always try your best to follow the rules, but in this situation, your simple solution is the quiet application of cash and barter.

Actually this is why I used to get a lot of retirees. I offer then 20 hrs a week or so at $13/hr and it usually keeps them under the threshold- or so I'm told.

I'll do it if you let me fly.

You can fly. Do we have ourselves a deal? :)

We use temp agencies. We've found that lower paid employees are less reliable and we need a large pool of people ready to go. I know it sounds bad, but when you pay a warehouse employee $10.50/hour and the local Dairy Queen starts at $11/hour, we can't keep people. Try telling the corporation how much money and time is wasted training someone only to lose them and they don't care.

Temp agencies are another avenue I have started to pursue. Maybe that is the way to go?

This. Workers are moving toward shorter supply. The job market is signaling to you that you're not a preferred employer. What can you do to change the market's view of you?

If you cannot afford to pay them more, can you afford to not have them? Maybe add some perks? I suspect a lot of people are turned off by the part time status for something that is really a pretty important job. Where can you trim?

The nature of the biz and margins don't allow me much more room with drivers pay. They can only do so many deliveries/hr and like I said, my margins aren't great enough to justify much more $.

I can trim, but hopefully I will continue to get busier, necessitating the need for more drivers, no matter how efficient I can get. I have tried to pursue a full time gig but even less results. I offered about 35k/year plus bonuses depending on growth and performance. For that type of investment I'd like them to be a little more than drivers (ie. some customer services, working in the store, fixing equipment that needs fixing etc). I found terrible quality candidates.

I think the fact that I am a unrecognizable small biz to most looking for a job. Or people just don't to work for $30-$35k/year.

The nature of the biz and margins don't allow me much more room with drivers pay. They can only do so many deliveries/hr and like I said, my margins aren't great enough to justify much more $.

I don't know your business so I don't know what changes you can make.

What I can say is that no, a lot of people don't want to work for 30k/year and because of that, you're seeing a tough hiring market. On the other hand, so are your competitors. Your goal ought to be to make your internal business as trim as possible and outlive your competitors because if this pressure keeps up, someone is going to start stumbling...either your or them. Use that trimness to finance what you need to do to survive, ie/ raise pay so you can get people in the door.

You can say that you've dumbed down the job to a level that even a monkey can do it, but you aren't hiring monkeys, you're hiring people who, just like you, have an addiction to food, clothing and shelter...and maybe throwing a ton of aluminium through the sky. If you are not paying enough to feed their addiction then you are simply not in the running. It's really that easy.

Back