How do you "Bum" some rides at OSH legally?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I'm going to OSH this year, I have been planning this for a year, I've put everything else on hold. I was wondering how would I approach someone with an airplane I would love to sit and fly in. Can I offer to fill up their airplane at the show can I offer them money to take me around the patch one time? There are a few airplanes I would love to sit in:

Cessna 210

Any Mooney Ovation (I have sat in a newer one but didn't get off the ground)

Bonanza A36, F33A

Cessna 182, 195

Piper 235, Archer

Cirrus SR22 (Flown a Cirrus before but it's been awhile don't remember if it was comfortable)

Thoughts?

I've been to OSH a total of zero times but aren't the majority (I know, not all) of people parked for the majority of the time? I'm sure people tool around but although there are a ton of people there, I would think once you've made your way to your parking spot, most people stay there. no? dunno........

Don’t think you’ll get many opportunities,for some free demo rides at Osh. You could post the times your at Osh and see if you get any offers.

Yea most aren’t going to want to move once they are situated. Landing and departing once is enough for most. Put a deposit down on a new one and the factory guys will gladly take you.

Is there a place at OSH that I can fly in some airplanes around the patch? SnF has it. Don't mind paying for it!

I would think once you've made your way to your parking spot, most people stay there. no? dunno........

Yep. I’ve flown my RV-8 to OSH numerous (8?) times, and that’s how I’ve done it. Fly in, park it for a few days, then bail for home. It’s just too much hassle to fly a local hop when parked among a sea of spam cans or homebuilts... gotta pull out of the spot, find a guide scooter, wait in line for takeoff... then, once you fly “around the patch”, you have to do battle with the Fisk arrival and parking routine all over again. Good luck getting back to your original spot.

The only time I’ve done a local hop out of OSH was one year while there in a T-28; parked right near the runways with easy access and plenty of scooter guide helpers plus the Warbird arrival to get back in, it was a pretty easy gig. But to do that in my RV? Oh hell no...

But, to just sit in something? Gotta be pretty easy, just gotta ask.

Is there a place at OSH that I can fly in some airplanes around the patch? SnF has it. Don't mind paying for it!

They sell rides in the Tri-Motors and the old Bell helicopters. Other than that 99% of people don't leave once they are parked.

What everyone else said - it is a lot more involved to go do some laps during EAA than just about any other airport, anywhere, ever so most fly in, park for x days and then depart, not to return until a year later. That's what I have always done with the exception of a handful of new plane demos. The manufacturers do take people up for demos but they are parked at Basler close to the runways and fly the warbird arrival back in to the show after the demo.

You're welcome to sit in my Cirrus if you want. I'll be at Basler.

I regularly give Navion rides but mostly to the other volunteers. I did arrange rides for the DD Snowbird pilots.

Rudy, Thanks for the offer...

So how many people have been to Snf AND OSH? Snf has a grass strip next to the parking lot where people fly in the pattern only and land. Does OSH have the same thing? This is outside of the runway where people land to park.

So how many people have been to Snf AND OSH? Snf has a grass strip next to the parking lot where people fly in the pattern only and land. Does OSH have the same thing? This is outside of the runway where people land to park.

When I flew into SnF I landed on the paved runway, parked, pitched the tent, and didn't move the plane until we departed a few day later. It's been a few years though so I'm not familiar with the grass strip. OSH I have only driven in.

When I flew into SnF I landed on the paved runway, parked, pitched the tent, and didn't move the plane until we departed a few day later. It's been a few years though so I'm not familiar with the grass strip. OSH I have only driven in.

Well, if you go again in a few weeks check it out. There are two grass strips: The one next to Runway 27, Biplanes fly in and out and the other is a 1,400 foot grass strip on top of the SnF sign. It's outside of the regular landings where people come in to park.

I was wondering if OSH has the same thing being bigger and all!

mapSNF.jpg

That sounds like the ultralight area so maybe you could down there but seating is obviously very limited.

You're welcome to sit in my Cirrus if you want. I'll be at Basler.

Can I make airplane noises too?

No, Oshkosh used to have a fly-by pattern in operation before the airshow but that has been gone for many years now (it's too bad they didn't kill the stupid departure briefing operation that existed only to support this pattern). Nope, you follow the same procedures that you would for any normal departure and return except you can leave your tiedowns, etc... there until you get back. Helps to have a sign that states your row number you're returning to (unless you are known well enough to the volunteers).

I typically depart, fly out over Lake Winnebago and climb up to 4000 or so and come back over the top of the field. You can see the B17 and the tri-motors in their loops below. Then if the passenger is a pilot who hasn't done the Ripon arrival, I'll take them in that way. Otherwise, I'll zip down to the town of Fond du Lac and come in the warbird arrival.

I've been a number of times....one just doesn't go thru the hassle of flying the pattern once there. It's just too involved to do that. If I'm going flying while there....I'm going home.

Well, if you go again in a few weeks check it out. There are two grass strips: The one next to Runway 27, Biplanes fly in and out and the other is a 1,400 foot grass strip on top of the SnF sign. It's outside of the regular landings where people come in to park.

I was wondering if OSH has the same thing being bigger and all!

View attachment 61310
I think you’re describing the STOL, light sport, and ultralight strip. It’s not really people flying around in the pattern, it’s those vendors doing exposition flights of those planes, just like the bigger ones on the main runways.

Snf has a grass strip next to the parking lot where people fly in the pattern only and land. Does OSH have the same thing? This is outside of the runway where people land to park.
As big as SnF is, OSH is much bigger. There is no way (for the vast majority of the week) that ATC will/can let you play in the pattern for funsies. As others have mentioned, there is an ultralight area that you can get rides on. The helo's offer flights around the grounds regularly. You can get on the tri-motor or breezy, just need money and to stand in line. You can swing war-bird rides with either a lot of money or knowing someone. You can get demo rides on a select few...if they believe you to be serious...usually takes more than strolling up in flip flops and saying I was thinking about buying one of these here things. :)

I have done the helicopter ride, got to fly the Tri-Motor (not take-off or land obviously) and a P51 ride. All are highly recommended.

As others have mentioned, getting to buzz around in personal planes is tough (not impossible). About the best you could hope for is talking with owners, sitting in their planes and maybe getting offers to go up with them away from the show.

If I was going to bum rides at OSH, it wouldn’t be on everyday certified aircraft. That can be done at your local airport. I’d be looking to catch a ride in a classic, a warbird, or some experimental. That’s what OSH is about.

I did a mid-show flight last year at OSH in my TBone (EAA photo flight). It was a huge, huge hassle getting out and back in. I'm not sure I'd want to do it again. That said, I did take some random guy along with me, we were just loading up and he walked by and said "hey, mind if I ride along? I've always wanted to ride in a TBone." How could I say no? So, if you're walking around and you see someone that looks like they're going out for a flight (look for evidence that they plan to return, like leaving chairs and camping gear behind), it never hurts to just ask.

On another note, why would ‘bumming’ a ride be illegal?

Pay your share and that’s all there is too it. Why do so many people make that concept more difficult and complex than it should be? :mad2:

The best way would be to ask folks here. Like everyone said, it would be a big huge hassle to get out and in, though it can be done. I'd sort of like to do it, since it is a fly in after all.

Last edited:
I'm going to OSH this year, I have been planning this for a year, I've put everything else on hold. I was wondering how would I approach someone with an airplane I would love to sit and fly in. Can I offer to fill up their airplane at the show can I offer them money to take me around the patch one time? There are a few airplanes I would love to sit in:

Cessna 210

Any Mooney Ovation (I have sat in a newer one but didn't get off the ground)

Bonanza A36, F33A

Cessna 182, 195

Piper 235, Archer

Cirrus SR22 (Flown a Cirrus before but it's been awhile don't remember if it was comfortable)

Thoughts?
There's nothing rare among those AC, you should be able to find any of them locally.

On another note, why would ‘bumming’ a ride be illegal?

Pay your share and that’s all there is too it. Why do so many people make that concept more difficult and complex than it should be? :mad2:

That is because mostly all of the laws here in the United States are subjective. What exactly is pay your share? It could mean pay 100% of the fuel because the pilot is paying for maintenance costs and annuals, It could mean pay 0% because the pilot is going in that direction and would like company....:dunno:

There's nothing rare among those AC, you should be able to find any of them locally.

I would love to find a Cessna 190 around here to sit in. I've seen one before just recently but he was just passing through. Not from around here!

Is there an area in OSH where they sell airplanes? I'm probably going to start there, just sitting in the planes that I like is a start. Just to see how comfortable they are!

SnF uses those grass strips to fly people around, I know because I paid to fly. The smaller strip (Next to runway 27) I paid someone for Biplane rides and we landed there. The 1400 Grass strip I flew in a Piper sport, (Too small for me)

That is because mostly all of the laws here in the United States are subjective. What exactly is pay your share? It could mean pay 100% of the fuel because the pilot is paying for maintenance costs and annuals, It could mean pay 0% because the pilot is going in that direction and would like company....:dunno:
No it’s not. It’s quite simple actually, you’re just making it more complicated.

What ever you and PIC agree upon as being sufficient is fair enough. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to pay every little nickel and dime that could possibly qualify as an expense.

Chip in for fuel or help cover the rental charges, etc.

Is there an area in OSH where they sell airplanes? I'm probably going to start there, just sitting in the planes that I like is a start. Just to see how comfortable they are!

No, you will have to go walk around and look in every airplane window or the bulletin boards that are scattered about. Boeing Square has all the new aircraft on the market and then there is the Experimental rows of new airplanes. If you are shopping used you will have to go peek in the window of 30k airplanes that are there during the week.

There is a centrally located set of bulletin boards with all sorts of aircraft for sale. I'm certain you can sit in any of them. My guess is if you approach any airplane owner and ask to sit in his or her aircraft they will be glad to let you do so (unless you're covered in something unpleasant and smelly). Pilots love to show off their aircraft. North of south of the airshow there are literally thousands of aircraft sitting. Have at it. You'll have to do your reconnoitering early or late, since most folks are on the airshow grounds most of the day.

Your best chance for bumming a ride would be to visit some of the satellite airports around like Fond du lac or Appleton where the traffic isn't as congested or regulated.

I will have my F33A in general Aviation parking and if we can hook up you are welcome to look at mine BUT I only fly in and out ONCE. My son will be there with his Cherokee Six. Contact me via PM here when it gets closer.

61.113 is not subjective.

“(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.”

It’s quite specific.

No, you will have to go walk around and look in every airplane window or the bulletin boards that are scattered about. Boeing Square has all the new aircraft on the market and then there is the Experimental rows of new airplanes. If you are shopping used you will have to go peek in the window of 30k airplanes that are there during the week.

Looking at 30,000 airplanes? Sign me up! That is a lot more fun than what I'm going to do at work today! Won't peek inside the airplanes though, I don't want to look like a "creeper"

I will have my F33A in general Aviation parking and if we can hook up you are welcome to look at mine BUT I only fly in and out ONCE. My son will be there with his Cherokee Six. Contact me via PM here when it gets closer.

Thank you for the offer! F33A's are awesome. I will probably end up with a Bonanza as well! (Debonair)

61.113 is not subjective.

“(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.”

It’s quite specific.

"(C) A private pilot may not pay less than" If it were "and more than" it would make it a little more specific...no? :dunno:

"(C) A private pilot may not pay less than" If it were "and more than" it would make it a little more specific...no? :dunno:

No. FAA specified exactly what they want the Private certificate holder to pay.

The rest of it is up to whatever y’all negotiate.

Huh? I’m not sure what you mean. Do you think it should read:

“(c) A private pilot may not pay less than and more than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.”

That makes zero sense.

And please, I hope that you realize that the private pilot in question is the pilot who has operational control of the aircraft. Everyone else on board is just considered a passenger regardless of whether they hold a certificate or not. So if you as a private pilot are onboard as a passenger, you are not bound to pay at least your pro rata share.

Last edited:
Look inside all you want just don't open the doors or touch the planes. If the owns are there, ask. I've never been turned down once. Nothing creepy about it.

The pro rata business is if the parties involved want to share expenses in a part 91 flight. If a pilot wants to give you a ride for free, that’s perfectly legal. As for finding someone to give you a ride, it happens. Like has already been posted most don’t want the hassle as getting out and getting back in as it can be a goat rope. Having said that factory guys are giving demos all day long. All of the E-AB, major LSA, and standard certificated manufacturers will be there so you can sit in pretty much anything being built today from ultralights to bizjets. Some give demo rides and some don’t. Plus if there’s something out of production you want to see, just walk through the various camping/parking areas and chances are you will find it plus an owner willing to let you climb in.

Back