How do I remember?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
The dang fuel pump?

I've got ~260 hours of which ~250 are in C-172s of various vintages. A few months ago I joined a club with 2 Piper Archers (as well as a C-172 and a C-182). I've been checked out in the Archer and flown them 4.3 hours. Other than the checkout, I've forgotten to turn on the fuel pump for landing every single time. I remind myself when getting settled into the plane and started up (using the fuel pump). Doesn't seem to matter. I flew 3 circuits this morning just for some practice and when I taxied in I realized, I forgot the fuel pump again. Obviously this only becomes a problem if the engine driven pump fails in a critical phase of flight (like a take off or go around). But still, there must be a way.

Any (helpful) suggestions?

John

sounds like you need to add that to your pre-landing checklist.

Use a checklist?

This, of course, is the root of the problem. I've read the checklist and I've got all the common with Cessna parts memorized, but when just tooling around the pattern I don't pull it out. Things are going fast enough that I need a better way to manage the actual piece of paper. And I need to remember ALL the steps for this airplane (which is what a checklist is for, I realize).

I second the checklist. Maybe customize your own?

I've gotten so used to the simplicity of the Luscombe I often wonder what I would have trouble remembering in a more complex aircraft.

This, of course, is the root of the problem. I've read the checklist and I've got all the common with Cessna parts memorized, but when just tooling around the pattern I don't pull it out. Things are going fast enough that I need a better way to manage the actual piece of paper. And I need to remember ALL the steps for this airplane (which is what a checklist is for, I realize).
I like to complete the landing checklist about 5 miles out. It helps out because my head isn't buried in the checklist in the pattern and I can focus on entering the pattern, scanning for traffic, etc. It definitely depends on the plane but for a fixed gear single, 5-7 miles out seems to work well for me.

In the J5 I fly I am trying to get in the habit of pushing the carb heat knob back in on short final. The extra RPMs come in handy in the event of a go around. Still hasn't sunk in 100% yet.

I like to complete the landing checklist about 5 miles out. It helps out because my head isn't buried in the checklist in the pattern and I can focus on entering the pattern, scanning for traffic, etc. It definitely depends on the plane but for a fixed gear single, 5-7 miles out seems to work well for me.

So how do you handle it when simply flying patterns for landing practice? (Which is what I was doing this morning.)

Isn't there a landing checklist placard on the panel?

Isn't there a landing checklist placard on the panel?

Nope. We have a laminated checklist in the airplane with all the relevant checklists on it. Honestly, there's really not space for it anywhere on the panel.

Really gotta make it part of GUMPS, boost pump on, switch to fullest tank.

Really gotta make it part of GUMPS, boost pump on, switch to fullest tank.

Good idea. I did GUMPS religiously in the Arrows when I was getting my complex endorsement. Maybe that's all I need to remember here...

Checklist discipline backed up by FGUMPS is really the only way. I recently started flying an Arrow, which has the flappy gear.
Some folks say, don't take your hand off of the gear handle until you confirm 3-green.

You could adopt this with the fuel pump switch, I suppose, until you build the muscle memory....

Edit: ha, or what you said! :)

A GUMPS check is not written down, it's in your head and it can be done in a matter of seconds, and it covers the "killer" items.

A GUMPS check is not written down, it's in your head and it can be done in a matter of seconds, and it covers the "killer" items.

Experience has shown me that counting on anything "in your head" is just setting yourself up to forgetting something.

A checklist is your friend. If you need an abbreviated "midfield downwind" checklist when flying patterns, make one up and use it.

GUMPS becomes BUMPS for a low wing, where the B stands for Boost pump. And make certain you're on the tank that has gas, of course.

Then you might not be using the checklist efficiently. Two suggestions:

1. Develop a flow pattern. Multiple ways but one for a Cherokee is simply starting at the trim on the floor and moving up to the cross-piece with all the switches, and then from right to left across the panel, ending at the fuel selector. You will want to back up with your checklist but during crunch times, it's better than nothing.

CherokeeFlow.jpg
2. Consider a shorter (or shorter subset) of your written checklist that includes the most important items. Or at least highlights them in a way that makes reference quick.

In my piper it's BC GUMPS in the pattern. Boost pump, carb heat...

If you can't remember GUMPS because it's only "in your head" then get some 1" blue masking tape and write down G U M P S on it and paste it to the top edge of the glareshield right in front of your face, there, it's now officially written down.

Last edited:
GIMPS
G-gas tank & pump
I- illuminate landing light
M- mixture rich
P- prop 2500, green light (MT electric)
S- seatbelt(s)

Fuel pump is the least of your worries. Wait til your first xc when you forget that you need to switch tanks! :)

So how do you handle it when simply flying patterns for landing practice? (Which is what I was doing this morning.)
Just leave it on.

My Cherokee has a "landing" placard so no "checklist" required.

My Cherokee has a "landing" placard so no "checklist" required.

I was going to suggest the same thing. The panels of most Cherokees have a takeoff and a landing checklist printed on them. Might as well use them.

The dang fuel pump?

I've got ~260 hours of which ~250 are in C-172s of various vintages. A few months ago I joined a club with 2 Piper Archers (as well as a C-172 and a C-182). I've been checked out in the Archer and flown them 4.3 hours. Other than the checkout, I've forgotten to turn on the fuel pump for landing every single time. I remind myself when getting settled into the plane and started up (using the fuel pump). Doesn't seem to matter. I flew 3 circuits this morning just for some practice and when I taxied in I realized, I forgot the fuel pump again. Obviously this only becomes a problem if the engine driven pump fails in a critical phase of flight (like a take off or go around). But still, there must be a way.

Any (helpful) suggestions?

John
Well, there's the usual do the checklist thing. Do you do the GUMP thing? Include the pump in it. All the time, even on planes without it. I say "Gas fullest tank, that's both on this plane, Boost pump, none on this plane. Yeah I fly Cessnas a lot. Almost always have the checklist done before the pattern and then it's a GUMP downwind base and final.

EDIT: I read the posts above. Those are good. B, BC, F. All those. Do them every time, on all the planes. You'll say things like down and welded for undercarriage, fixed for prop etc. I stick my finger out and simulate pushing a pump switch and operating the gear switch and pointing to where the green gear light would be. Every time, all planes

Last edited:
Here is a related question for the PA 28 flyers. When do you switch off the boost pump after take off when not staying in the pattern.?

Make it hurt a bit. Charge yourself $5 for each time you forget. Give the $$$ to your pax, your wife, your kid, the lineman. Your choice.

Bet this stops your forgetful habit in its tracks!

-Skip

Nope. We have a laminated checklist in the airplane with all the relevant checklists on it. Honestly, there's really not space for it anywhere on the panel.

better have the club A&P check that. look in the POH that placard is required to be "in full view of the pilot" without that placard on the panel the plane is not airworthy.
look at post 23 and you will see those placards right behind the yoke.

bob

better have the club A&P check that. look in the POH that placard is required to be "in full view of the pilot" without that placard on the panel the plane is not airworthy.
look at post 23 and you will see those placards right behind the yoke.

bob
Yep. Takeoff checklist to the left of the yoke; landing checklist to the right. Required placards in all the PA-28 AFMs I've seen.

Forgot about those earlier. I put one in a make/model which didn't require one I liked the idea so much.

I second the checklist. Maybe customize your own?

I've gotten so used to the simplicity of the Luscombe I often wonder what I would have trouble remembering in a more complex aircraft.
Recurring theme theme: not using a checklist creates a habit of noti using a checklist. It's a habit that can be broken but it takes a lot of work - much more work than developing the habit of glancing at a checklist even if "carb heat" is the only item on it.

I'm probably going to have a similar problem when I start flying something with carb heat after only being exposed to fuel injection so far.

Back