House

heater arrives today. my friend Jerry and I will hang it on Sunday. Electrical for the attic lights is in place, just needs hooked up.

I just stumbled on this thread, awesome, man, congrats to you and Leah! I look forward to my next trip to Wichita; I'll bring some Nu-Way as a house warming gift.

lol you and your Nu-way...let us know the next time you're in town, look forward to seeing you.

still working on the garage but have also been working in the garage. Making progress on that club rowing shell. half the attic is insulated. need to get a propane tank. Sunday after glider flying we pulled in the NG-1 (my latest glider) as it has some repair work that needs done. It fits in the short part of the garage perfectly. We also picked up just over 100 board feet of S2S eastern red cedar that i found on craigslist for pretty cheap. Going to make some chairs and maybe a chest out of it. smells great!

Attachments

• P3141810.JPG
    P3141810.JPG
    969.8 KB · Views: 21
Great Garage. I just finished building /delivering a knock down platform bed to my daughter in NYC- I MISS having my woodshop up. It took HOURS to cart the power bench tools out of the basement.

The Garage is my #1 priority on the next home- we need a Modine, insulation, floor drain....plumbing......well you get it.

our next project here at the house, is one of these

Attachments

• PICT0162.JPG
    PICT0162.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 21
still working on the garage but have also been working in the garage. Making progress on that club rowing shell. half the attic is insulated. need to get a propane tank. Sunday after glider flying we pulled in the NG-1 (my latest glider) as it has some repair work that needs done. It fits in the short part of the garage perfectly. We also picked up just over 100 board feet of S2S eastern red cedar that i found on craigslist for pretty cheap. Going to make some chairs and maybe a chest out of it. smells great!

I suggest that you, real quick, put a car in there now.

That way you can at least say that you have done it once.

Unlike my garage.

Very cool. We cleaned out the garage a few weeks ago. Now I need to make a bunch of trips to the dump with all the junk we decided it was time to get rid of, but the garage is a nice toy room - motorcycles and the 3000GT VR-4.

we had all three cars in there for about a week

My garage is such a mess. Why is it that they simply collect stuff? I have a theory, stuff grows to fit the container it is in.

I know that the new hangar will gradually fill with stuff.

My garage is such a mess. Why is it that they simply collect stuff? I have a theory, stuff grows to EXCEED the container it is in.

I know that the new hangar will gradually fill with stuff.

Fixed that for you...

We have a two car attic. In the 15 years we've lived here we have never had a car in it. Not once.

We have a two car attic. In the 15 years we've lived here we have never had a car in it. Not once.
We have a 2-car garage. In the 11(?) years we've lived here, we've always managed to fit our cars in the garage. Maybe that's why they have an average of over 200K miles on them?

We have a 2-car garage. In the 11(?) years we've lived here, we've always managed to fit our cars in the garage. Maybe that's why they have an average of over 200K miles on them?

It depends on what kills them. I remember being very surprised at Leslie's Mercedes having 161K on it at Osh a few years back (I'm thinking 2009?), because the exterior and interior were in such pristine condition. The lack of sun damage is evident. But a garage won't help the salt that you get on your roads any, nor the potholes and other road imperfections that you drive over.

Right now, my hot rod has 145K on it and my truck has 151K. The driver's seat is the only part on the truck that shows its age - it's lived in the north for at least most of its life. Surprisingly minimal rust underneath. Suspension is still great. The only real sign of the mileage is the driver's seat, which is starting to show wear and I might need to recover.

The hot rod, by comparison, came from Texas. It is completely rust-free, but the paint job (which was redone within the past 10 years) is starting to show. It'll need some work. The car is in great condition otherwise, though.

But a garage won't help the salt that you get on your roads any, nor the potholes and other road imperfections that you drive over.

Theoretically, a heated garage would accelerate the corrosion process, since the rate of the corrosion reaction is temperature dependent. I don't know of any real scientific studies that confirm this, though.

Theoretically, a heated garage would accelerate the corrosion process, since the rate of the corrosion reaction is temperature dependent. I don't know of any real scientific studies that confirm this, though.

I think that it's probably going to be more or less irrelevant. Any increase in speed of the reaction is probably going to be far outweighed by the fact that you'll be driving in the stuff again the next day.

Keeping it clean would be the main thing - get the salt off so the reaction won't occur. Of course, I don't wash the undercarriage of my vehicles - I typically figure they'll outlive their useful life before rust gets to them. Up until now I've been correct.

our cars are 145, 155, and 257,000 and as far as i know none of them have regularly been parked inside

The moral of this exercise: Pilots drive old cars.

I think that it's probably going to be more or less irrelevant. Any increase in speed of the reaction is probably going to be far outweighed by the fact that you'll be driving in the stuff again the next day.

Keeping it clean would be the main thing - get the salt off so the reaction won't occur. Of course, I don't wash the undercarriage of my vehicles - I typically figure they'll outlive their useful life before rust gets to them. Up until now I've been correct.

Car makers do so much better now with corrosion protection that I don't think it really matters. Used to be if you bought a Chevy Vega, it would have big rust holes before you could pay off the loan.

Car makers do so much better now with corrosion protection that I don't think it really matters. Used to be if you bought a Chevy Vega, it would have big rust holes before you could pay off the loan.

That's very true. The rust buckets we used to see at the shop you simply don't see anymore. By 1990, they had it down reasonably well. By the mid-90s, really well.

our cars are 145, 155, and 257,000 and as far as i know none of them have regularly been parked inside

I know for a fact that the 257,000 one has lived its entire life outside - most of it in the southern summer heat. Until it ended up in Iowa in 2000 (~100,000 miles at that point), it didn't have a spot of rust on it.

165,000 miles on the 1999 Wrangler and 82,000 miles on the 2006 Commander. Routine maintence pays off. The only impact of all those years outside on the Wrangler has been the moss growing on it. :D Sun? What's that?

181,000 on the 2000 Jeep Cherokee when I gave it to my sister who badly needed wheels in NYC (she got a job on Long Island after a couple years looking!) so I got all "extravagant" and bought a used Yukon which had 68,000 on it last February for 1/3 of it's original retail price. (No one wants big V8s because of fuel prices, and I like trucks.) Now has 90,491.

Yeah I drive too much (about 20K a year, all highway) for someone who works for a videoconferencing company. Some stupid HR rule for our team that's boring to go into. People 20' away are never at their desks and telecommute all the time because they're in a different team that does the exact same job. Don't get me started. ;)

Oh and some cabbie lost control in a corner, got rear-ended by another "blue car" cab, whatever that is, and totaled the Cherokee at 4 AM along with the BMW parked in front of it. Jeep sandwich. Put two people in the hospital, too.

Sister managed to have "her guy" (a NYC thing) weld and cut and get it barely drivable so she still has wheels. Poor kid.

The heat is finally working in the garage! We've been busy all this (cold) week getting the last things out of the apartment. Had to be out of there last night. Now that it is going to be 80 and 90 degrees this weekend I finally had time to get the heater running. woohoo!

oh and Ol' Blue will likely have 260,000 on it by monday, loaned it to a glider club friend to take to Phoenix to get his new to him glider.

insulation is now complete in the garage and ol' blue is up to 267,000 after a good season of towing glider trailers around the middle of the country.

Last edited:
Back