House

Nice house Tony. At first I was surprised that the picture of the inside of the garage didn't have a couple glider type works in progress until I remembered that the picture was taken before you bought the house.

Nice house Tony. At first I was surprised that the picture of the inside of the garage didn't have a couple glider type works in progress until I remembered that the picture was taken before you bought the house.

:D Give me a week or two.

Ok, blah, blah, blah.

Everybody is being real nice. Personally, I find that kind of behavior unacceptable on the internet.

Nits must be picked.

So, my condolences.

I see someone left a tree in the middle of the stinking driveway. What's up with that? Either the tree is going to die, or the driveway will buckle. Lose, lose.

Block basement. You have my sympathy. With luck, you can ignore it and it will become the next owner's problem. Sell at the first hint of trouble.

Nice shade. Bet you can't wait for fall. I hope you don't think you are going to be flying during leaf raking season.

1916. Criminy. I have found 1929 plumbing and wiring to be freeking disaster. I can't imagine 1916.

I assume it still has wet plaster? Let me know when you want the tutorial on crack repair. Hint - use paper drywall tape. How about ripping the ceilings down and replacing them with drywall? Ask me about matching up to the existing cove…

And replacing molding? I have to make my own. Guess what…

"approved by historic board" - Good luck with that. The only reason those people are on the board is so they can interfere with what you want.

I can only hope that I have helped restored balance to the universe here.

:D

Ok, blah, blah, blah.

Everybody is being real nice. Personally, I find that kind of behavior unacceptable on the internet.

Nits must be picked.

So, my condolences.

I see someone left a tree in the middle of the stinking driveway. What's up with that? Either the tree is going to die, or the driveway will buckle. Lose, lose.

I have a very good friend who is a tree trimmer. Matt Michael, who posts here from time to time.

Block basement. You have my sympathy. With luck, you can ignore it and it will become the next owner's problem. Sell at the first hint of trouble.

Nice shade. Bet you can't wait for fall. I hope you don't think you are going to be flying during leaf raking season.

1916. Criminy. I have found 1929 plumbing and wiring to be freeking disaster. I can't imagine 1916.

Plumbing and wiring have been updated.

I assume it still has wet plaster? Let me know when you want the tutorial on crack repair. Hint - use paper drywall tape. How about ripping the ceilings down and replacing them with drywall? Ask me about matching up to the existing cove…

I grew up in a plaster house and helped my parents replace 3 or 4 rooms of plaster with drywall.

"approved by historic board" - Good luck with that. The only reason those people are on the board is so they can interfere with what you want.

I understand that sentiment. Exactly why I shyed away from neighborhoods with HOA's. However if we have to maintain the "historic" exterior look of this house that is fine with me. That's part of why we like it.

Congrats you two.. I particularly like the porch for the summer evenings... Really lovely all around

Sounds like Tony and Leah need a fly-in housewarming party. :D

YEA! Ted, you pickup at LOM, you may have a few others to pay fuel. I could visit my sister out there too,.. I think she is in Eastern Kansas, not far from Olathe.

Ok, blah, blah, blah.

Nits must be picked.

So, my condolences.

Isnt that called the join of being a home owner.

Tony and Leah Congrats and it looks like a nice house.. Once you get rid of the tree:D

Congrats!

So when do we get pictures (of the glider workshop)???

:cornut: Notice how it says it has a three car garage but one bathroom.

Congrats, Tony and Leah!

If you're like me you'll suddenly be a fan of HGTV & DIY, This Old House and Mike Holmes.

I like the house. And I don't see the tree everyone's talking about....

Either way, congrats, man!

I like the house. And I don't see the tree everyone's talking about....

Either way, congrats, man!
Kinda hard to miss. Not sure who the hell thought leaving a tree there was a good idea, probably someone's crazy wife.

Looks like a nice place with a lot of character :)

307451_3848750.jpg

That tree adds character. Of course, I'm sure Matt Michael could get it chopped down in three rounds of singing "LOG!"

My house has/had a tree in the back yard that fell over in a storm. I left it because it had character. One day, a neighbor of mine asked if I was going to use it, because if not he'd like it for firewood. So now I have a tree stump that's mounted vertically in my back yard. It, too, has character. :)

Kinda hard to miss. Not sure who the hell thought leaving a tree there was a good idea, probably someone's crazy wife.

Looks like it was out-of-the way for a 2 car garage. When the garage was expanded to 3 cars, and the driveway paved, the owners were probably informed of the local "Thou shall not cut down mature trees older than XX years old without approval from the city, which never gives approval" ordinance.

--Carlos " 'Tree City, USA' side-effects" V.

Or a woman was in love with the tree. 'No honey you can never cut that tree down because <insert inane event here> happened under it.' If Tony wants it down he better cut it quick.:thumbsup:
Looks like it was out-of-the way for a 2 car garage. When the garage was expanded to 3 cars, and the driveway paved, the owners were probably informed of the local "Thou shall not cut down mature trees older than XX years old without approval from the city, which never gives approval" ordinance.

--Carlos " 'Tree City, USA' side-effects" V.

i have no idea why the seller left that tree there. he built the garage from scratch, it was never a 2 car garage. i'm pretty sure he poured the driveway too. i guess he liked the tree. when its time for the tree to go, it will go.

we closed today. i got the garage door opener, leah got the keys.

we closed today. i got the garage door opener, leah got the keys.

:D i was going to ask if that day had arrived. When I got my keys about this time that year I had to go down the road to buy a snow blower so I could get to the front door.

Little did I know that was the first step of my way onto financial ruin.

Last edited:
Gary - we spent more in down payment and closing costs today than on the purchase price of all three gliders combined.

Tim - Thanks!

:D i was going to ask if that day had arrived. When I got mine about this time that year I had to go down the road to buy a snow blower so I could get to the front door.

Little did I know that was the first step of my way to financial ruin.

yea we need to get a shovel...

Gary - we spent more in down payment and closing costs today than on the purchase price of all three gliders combined.

:hairraise:!! and you are just getting started! There is remodeling to be done, redecorating, furniture, appliance upgrades, those inevitable house repairs that HAVE to be done, and, well, the garage will need to be fully retrofitted with high quality tools and equipment (this is the most important).

That all being said, there isn't anything like saying, "that's MY house".

Gary

Comngrats- very nice, cozy home! And with a workshop, too! win!!

Did it come with the pool table, or at least the tacky tequila-ad banner? :goofy:

there are pictures in this old MLS listing. This listing had expired by the time we found the house, he had it for sale by owner. we looked at another house in this neighborhood and thankfully drove past this one on the way there.

http://mls.sckmls.com/WichitaReport...footer=8365676572677382&maillog_id=ACAS875234

Congratulations!!! Charming and beautiful home---LOVE the porch!!!

Oh, and while I hope you never have to call for emergency assistance, if you forget your house number when you call 911, you've got problems. :rofl:

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Charming and beautiful home---LOVE the porch!!!

Oh, and while I hope you never have to call for emergency assistance, if you forget your house number when you call 911, you've got problems. :rofl:

I can see a good "Who's on first"

"Hello, 911"
"My house is on fire"
"Where is your house?"
"911-"
"Yes, we're 911"
"No, I'M 911 No-"
"Sir, we're 911. Now if your house is on fire you better tell us where it is so we can get there"
"I'm at 911 No-"
"Wait, you're here?! This building's on fire? EVERYONE THE BUILDING'S ON FIRE GET OUT AND SOMEONE CALL 911!!!"
"......."

:)

i've touched up a few spots on the hardwood floors with fresh polyurethane. We've moved a few carloads of stuff over, mostly kitchen things and clothes. We've got some friends coming down this weekend and hope to move all the big stuff over, furniture and the like.

I've been stocking up on insulation and electrical stuff for the garage. Should have a heater on the way this week. it's supposed to be in the 50's next week so that should make progress a lot easier!

we hung 6 rolls of insulation in the garage yesterday. more today. loving the warm weather.

we hung 6 rolls of insulation in the garage yesterday. more today. loving the warm weather.

Did I miss this? Making the garage warm enough to work on the glider is your very first priority? :cornut:

Did I miss this? Making the garage warm enough to work on the glider is your very first priority? :cornut:

we looked at nicer houses in this same neighborhood. but this has got to be about the best garage in town.

Tony gets a workshop, Leah gets a cat. Pretty equitable deal :)

We also have a detached garage at Steinholme, but silly us, we use it for cars and motorcycles. Ours was built in 1915. Again congratulations, I love old houses.

ahhh, trips to Home Depot on a twice/thrice daily basis. I remember our first house too.....

Back