Hours for a C182 annual

Just so I know, Brien knows the FARS. attends the yearly renewal for the FAA. and this subject is discussed every year, and the FAA is fully in agreement.
Have a reference for that?

I found one below. Seems reputable. But 20 minutes only covers the wings, fuselage, and tail group? And it includes an AD compliance check. :eek:

upload_2020-7-24_19-54-13.png

Last edited:
Have a reference for that?

I found one. Seems reputable. But 20 minutes only covers the wings, fuselage, and tail group? And it includes an AD compliance check. :eek:
you need to read that again.

Pretty much normal routine, when Didn't use ADlog. or we have never complied before.

A far cry from your routine of ripping the customer.

you didn't specify what type of aircraft you showed us. Remember we were talking about a Cessna 182.

Thankfully here in Canada, the regs make it very clear that AD's are the sole responsibility of the owner. They even remind us of that fact right in the inspection requirements.

Regardless, I always check for anything new off the website and specifically ask the owner what he wants to do. If he chooses to ignore one, so be it. But I will also choose not to invite him back. If he wants to skimp illegally, he can do so with someone else's licence number in their log.

I tend to believe Tom. He probably does ten of them for every one I do. I can get it down to a couple of hours, and I can see if you are doing them on a few a day basis how you can get it down to half an hour, or perhaps even 20 minutes if you are lightning quick.

But 25 hours? 3 full work days? Not a chance in hell.

JIm

I tend to believe Tom. He probably does ten of them for every one I do. I can get it down to a couple of hours, and I can see if you are doing them on a few a day basis how you can get it down to half an hour, or perhaps even 20 minutes if you are lightning quick.

But 25 hours? 3 full work days? Not a chance in hell.

JIm

I guess then there is no reason for the rental planes at my local FBO to be out of service and unavailable for scheduling for more than 20 minutes when they are going through their annual/100 hr. FBO owns the flight school and the mechanic shop. I’m sure they like to rest their planes for the other 24 hrs and 40 minutes just because it nice for the planes (good planie, need vaca).

I guess then there is no reason for the rental planes at my local FBO to be out of service and unavailable for scheduling for more than 20 minutes when they are going through their annual/100 hr. FBO owns the flight school and the mechanic shop. I’m sure they like to rest their planes for the other 24 hrs and 40 minutes just because it nice for the planes (good planie, need vaca).
I don't think you quite understand. PREPPING the aircraft for the INSPECTION can take hours or days, depending on what the MECHANIC doing the work finds during their part of the operation. The IA, on the other hand, leaves the grunt work to the MECHANIC and then performs the INSPECTION that can take (arguably) 20 minutes to a couple of hours.

Jim

I don't think you quite understand. PREPPING the aircraft for the INSPECTION can take hours or days, depending on what the MECHANIC doing the work finds during their part of the operation. The IA, on the other hand, leaves the grunt work to the MECHANIC and then performs the INSPECTION that can take (arguably) 20 minutes to a couple of hours.

Jim

Gotcha now.

Another data point for C182P.

Our base annual rate has been about $1700 or 20hrs @ $85/hr. For the first annual only it was about $350 (4hrs) more to review the past 43yrs of old logs, AD compliance, etc.

So if this is the first time this A&P has seen your plane I could believe the 25hrs but 30hrs seems pretty high.

30 hours is not the problem here. There problem is they quoted 30 hours and it was agreed to, then the shop went 50% over the quote with zero input or approval from the owner. That's the only issue.

Have you ever completed an inspection on a 210. don't thing so.
How much time goes into preparing the aircraft getting it ready to INSPECT.

SO you can't understand the different between maintenance and inspections?
We maintain over a dozen Cessna 210's. We break our annual inspections down to
18 hrs airframe
5.0 hrs engine
1.5 propeller.
also charge 2.5 hrs on all form records and AD research.

We maintain over a dozen Cessna 210's. We break our annual inspections down to
18 hrs airframe
5.0 hrs engine
1.5 propeller.
also charge 2.5 hrs on all form records and AD research.
Am I understand you lump the maintenance and inspection?

Am I understand you lump the maintenance and inspection?
I guess you can say that. We have to open up the aircraft to inspect, and during parts of that we verify cable tensions, lube items, drain, service compressions filters wheels tires brakes, we don't look at it as 2 separate events. You have to remove the oil filter and cut it open to see if it has visible contaminants, you have to remove the induction filter to look inside the air box, we jack the aircraft to swing the gear to see if it all fits correctly, to make sure it travels within the time limits in the manual, to us its all part of the same event.

I guess you can say that. We have to open up the aircraft to inspect, and during parts of that we verify cable tensions, lube items, drain, service compressions filters wheels tires brakes, we don't look at it as 2 separate events. You have to remove the oil filter and cut it open to see if it has visible contaminants, you have to remove the induction filter to look inside the air box, we jack the aircraft to swing the gear to see if it all fits correctly, to make sure it travels within the time limits in the manual, to us its all part of the same event.
How do you cope with customers that are A&Ps that own their aircraft.

IOWs the Inspector is only the inspector.

How do you cope with customers that are A&Ps that own their aircraft.

IOWs the Inspector is only the inspector.
We have not had any customers that are A&P's. If they are and taking their aircraft to a shop for maintenance and or annuals, are they professional mechanic's or a guy that just has the ticket?

We have not had any customers that are A&P's. If they are and taking their aircraft to a shop for maintenance and or annuals, are they professional mechanic's or a guy that just has the ticket?

That's the thing,, they don't bring their aircraft to a shop, they all have really nice hangars.

they are really good A&Ps, they are all Boeing line service employees with engineering degrees.

some one is ripping you off.
when the aircraft is already open, it requires about 30 minutes.
remember, shooting the shi- during that time don't count.
about 20 minutes to inspect, and the rest is the run up.
some one is ripping you off.
when the aircraft is already open, it requires about 30 minutes.
remember, shooting the shi- during that time don't count.
about 20 minutes to inspect, and the rest is the run up.
I would say you are being ripped off if a IA only spends 30 minutes inspecting your 182 for an annual inspection.

Back