Hoppies #9

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
For years I've used Hoppies to clean fuel nozzles, it always left them clean bright.

My old jar got kinda yucky, so I dumped it and bought two bottles of the new stuff.

soaked a set of nozzles in that stuff for 24 hours, I might as well soaked them in water.

It ain't the same stuff anymore.

Just thought you should know.

Hoppes. Has been mostly water for about 20 years now. Useless stuff. Carb cleaner in my 20 year old can still works. Don't want to buy any new stuff.

Ultrasonic tanks are under $100 now days, I wold give that a try. All the good stuff got taken out of cleaners years ago.

An old friend of mine was talking about some old chemical I can't remember what it was for but he said you know it really works good because they outlawed it. :)

An old friend of mine was talking about some old chemical I can't remember what it was for but he said you know it really works good because they outlawed it. :)
Trichlorethane, or "trike". Really noxious stuff. It would absorb into your skin and was a pretty bad neurotoxin. But, it was a helluva solvent. And, it evaporated quickly and didn't leave any residue. It also made a helluva bang if you poured some in a ziplock bag, sealed it up. Toss a bag in the ordinance shop, or the ladies locker room, and you create all kinds of chaos!

The original formula liquid wrench had benzene in it :eek:

Must be something in it. Melts a plastic cup if you leave it a few hours.

Trichlorethane, or "trike". Really noxious stuff. It would absorb into your skin and was a pretty bad neurotoxin. But, it was a helluva solvent. And, it evaporated quickly and didn't leave any residue. It also made a helluva bang if you poured some in a ziplock bag, sealed it up. Toss a bag in the ordinance shop, or the ladies locker room, and you create all kinds of chaos!
Hoppes. Has been mostly water for about 20 years now. Useless stuff. Carb cleaner in my 20 year old can still works. Don't want to buy any new stuff.
Kinda tells ya how long I had that old hoppes. :)

What firearms? I lost all mine in a boating accident several years ago. ;-)

That’s the correct answer!

As for cleaning/lube I use SLIP 2000 got turned onto it in the military and use it on my personal weapons, works great imo.

Trichlorethane, or "trike". Really noxious stuff. It would absorb into your skin and was a pretty bad neurotoxin. But, it was a helluva solvent. And, it evaporated quickly and didn't leave any residue.

Used to go through gallons of that stuff back when I was servicing IBM typewriters.

Wasn't there also carbon tetricloride?, something like that, it was in fire ext.'s long ago and in an engine rebuild shop, there was a tank to put parts in, close the lid and turn it on, it heated up and after sitting awhile, when the lid was opened if you were too close you couldn't breath, it was mean stuff but cleaned so nice, outlawed

I might as well soaked them in water.
I saved this old post years ago. Maybe make your own. As noted compare to current MSDS.

According to First Edition of Hatchers Notebook copyrighted 1947 he had wondered about the composition of Hoppe's No. 9 and had it analysied (early 1920's):
Oleic acid...............................................16%
Neutral Saponifiable Oil............................24%
Nitro-Benzine............................................6%
Light Mineral Oil, such as kerosene}
Amyl Acetate.........................................54%

Hatcher notes the percentages are approximate and may not be the formular of 1947.

As noted above by another poster the nitro-benzine was dropped and replaced by something else. With the MSDS sheet should be able to determine its replacement.

ahaha I tell the girls at work I like wd40 so much I dab it on my neck; I love their reaction!
I suspect you’re kidding but my dad has to be the biggest WD40 fan in the world. He buys it by the gallon and soaks everything he owns in it..including himself.

I **** you not, he actually uses it for joint pain. He swears he’d need a replacement knee by now if it wasn’t for WD40. Some old welder showed him the joint pain trick and he’s been doing it for at least 15 years now...

Carbon tet hasn’t been outlawed. You can still find it among the cleaners and spot removers at the grocery store.

For the gun question, I use balistol. Like MMO, it's minty fresh.
I do like my ultrasonic cleaner though.

for cleaning Lycoming fuel injector nozzles, goggle Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1275C,
it discusses the various solvents and recommended soaking times.

Shorty, the water suggestion surprises me; I've had a perhaps-unfounded desire to keep those steel parts as far as possible from water.

Balistol, Hoppes, whatever’s handy for quick cleans. Have been experimenting with breaking down components and using the ultrasonic cleaner for the deep cleans. Works about 95% but I can still find some trapped grit in some things.

Gets a great first pass though. And of course since water is involved everything gets a good dunking in light oil and wiped down after anything to do with the ultrasonic.

BTW I have about 2/3 of a quart bottle of Hoppes I bought 15 or more years or so ago. I would be willing to trade for a plane since now it is soooooo valuable. :)

Hate it when that happens. I found the absolute perfect chain lube for the scooter. Of course it isn't made anymore.

Back