Hoppies #9

BTW I have about 2/3 of a quart bottle of Hoppes I bought 15 or more years or so ago. I would be willing to trade for a plane since now it is soooooo valuable. :)
I'll trade you straight across for @denverpilot 182 ... but then I would have to share the Hoppes ... never mind. :D

You guys are making me feel bad... I still haven't cleaned the artillery since the last range day. I really need to do that. Fortunately I still have some 80-vintage (or maybe older) Hoppes #9.

The formulation of Hoppes 9 doesn't contain water. It's primarily ethanol and kerosene with some other random stuff in it. Of course, the ethanol is hygroscopic but that shouldn't hurt anything in the short term.

What it used to have was nitrobenzene but that was determined to be a carcinogen. Frankly, as far as cleaning guns go, unless you've not cleaned the thing in years of shooting, the new Hoopes or Balistol or RemOil or just kerosene should be sufficient solvent.
Even the old Hoppes couldn't dissolve lead. It just dissolved all the other gunk that was holding the lead to your gun parts so you could brush the lead away.

Back