Holy Lurkers!

I'm a longtime lurker and your post motivated me to finally create an account.

I'm a newbie pilot, finished my PPL one year ago this month. I've been lurking around here regularly since I started training and have learned a lot from you guys. I figure I should start contributing.

I missed this one.

How many hours?
What do you fly?

And congrats on the PPL. I got mine 9 months ago and I haven't cared for being on the ground since.

Welcome!

Never good when the customer is ignored. Get in touch with the FBOs chief CFI and tell him ,how you feel,and what you expect. Your old instructor,is using you for extra income. His priority is not you training. Good luck ,hang in there.

You are the customer. You pay for the service. Let the service provider know that you are not satisfied with the current turn of events and ask what they are going to do to keep your business. Remember, it doesn't end when you pass the check ride.

Hey all, I've been hanging around and scan the site almost daily, try to chip in where I may and try not sidetracking the conversation too much. Being such a green pilot, I often feel I don't have much to add to the conversation... but I love reading lots of the knowledge shared by those much more experienced in the air than I am.

Hey all, I've been hanging around and scan the site almost daily, try to chip in where I may and try not sidetracking the conversation too much. Being such a green pilot, I often feel I don't have much to add to the conversation... but I love reading lots of the knowledge shared by those much more experienced in the air than I am.

That's cool.

Even if you don't feel up to sharing knowledge yet, share some stories. :thumbsup:

Or better yet, make one up http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67522

And Welcome!

Last edited:
Hi Bryan and PoA Members.... and Lurkers.... :)

My Story.

25 year old pilot and entrepreneur in the aviation, shipping/logistics and technology industries.

Private SEL rating from Western Michigan University's College of Aviation. Transferred to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, focused on Business Aviation Administration and Management. Finishing up Instrument rating in South Florida and hoping to move onwards to Commercial MEL once I am able to.

Happy Landings Fellow Pilots!

Hello.

I'll de-lurk.

Mini-Bio:

I'm 42 and work in the software industry. I've been lurking for quite some time.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but have been living in the Seattle area for the last 15 years or so.

I've always been interested in flying, but for various reasons I never pursued it until last fall when I took a discovery flight and decided I needed to do this. :)

I plan on starting my PPL this September, but I've already completed the Jeppesen online ground school, and am going through it all again in preparation for the written.

My guess is people curious about flying, or leave the site up in a window along with their computer left on are the reason so many appear to be lurking.

You will hear this a lot. Flying and flyers are a pretty small and special club. They include women and men of all ages and econ strata. Some own, some rent, some fly a lot, some not so often. There might be more dormant flyers who didn't finish and got a license years ago but don't do it anymore than active flyers.

The 'sport' and the 'profession' require an appreciation for the technical aspects of flight, weather and FAA regulations. The fun of flying is why we put up with the technical, government rules and intense book and flight learning required.

Once you start and pass a few milestones, you will be hooked. Then ya gotta finish so you can be let free to start learning even more. Like golf, no one perfects it and you pursue and enjoy it the rest of your life.

It's really ultimately about freedom, something fast disappearing these days.

I missed this one.

How many hours?
What do you fly?

And congrats on the PPL. I got mine 9 months ago and I haven't cared for being on the ground since.

Welcome!

I rent a Cherokee 140 right now, and have just over 90 hours. I don't get to fly nearly as much as I want. I'm really hoping to get into a partnership on a plane in the next year or so.

To expand on the bio, I'm a software/firmware guy (seems like there is a lot of us around here), mid-30s. I soloed in a glider when I was 14, and flew about 40 hours by the time I was 15 when I stopped flying. I really missed it, and after a very long break I finally have my PPL.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I rent a Cherokee 140 right now, and have just over 90 hours. I don't get to fly nearly as much as I want. I'm really hoping to get into a partnership on a plane in the next year or so.

To expand on the bio, I'm a software/firmware guy (seems like there is a lot of us around here), mid-30s. I soloed in a glider when I was 14, and flew about 40 hours by the time I was 15 when I stopped flying. I really missed it, and after a very long break I finally have my PPL.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

High Gravity isn't by chance a reference to beer brewing is it?

High Gravity isn't by chance a reference to beer brewing is it?

It absolutely is. I'd used that screen name way back on some brewing forums, and just kind of kept it for everything else.

If I remember correctly I've seen some discussions on here about brewing. You a home brewer?

Yup. And currently have a chocolate cherry port wine in the fermenter :)

Mary (my wife, also a pilot) and I were talking about our day this evening, while we did a little bar hopping on our island tonight.

We flew to Conroe, TX (KCXO) where we parked under their ridiculously humongous awning, met with the folks at the FBO, gave out a bunch of free hotel stuff, and then adjourned to the terrific upstairs restaurant (The Black Walnut Cafe) for an amazing brunch.

We then flew back to our island. Round trip, 2.5 hours.

This is a typical day, in a typical week for us. We do this weekly, if not more often. To illustrate, this would have been an 8+ hour drive.

My wife then stopped me cold with a simple question: How many people on this island could have done such things, on such a day?

We started rattling off everyone we knew, and came up with five people. Five, out of 3500 permanent residents, and a summer population that swells to 100,000+.

I tell you lurkers this not to be arrogant -- I think that pilot arrogance is a major factor in what has been killing GA -- but to illustrate just how special YOU are. We need your presence here, with your experience, your stories, and your advice.

There are just too damned few of us out there to remain aloof and anonymous. C'mon out and join us, and let's do what we can to keep the GA ball rolling.

Edit: Here's a picture of the ridiculously enormous jet awning at Lonestar Executive Airport (CXO) in Conroe, TX. Little Amelia looks lost under there, but it sure was nice to get out of the sun!

10525792_706360929399804_3489464333175975606_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like matchbox toys under that awning, Jay! :)

Edit: Here's a picture of the ridiculously enormous jet awning at Lonestar Executive Airport (CXO) in Conroe, TX. Little Amelia looks lost under there, but it sure was nice to get out of the sun!

I thought that was Austin exec at first. They have a similar one.
They are another airport that will treat you like royalty.

1.jpg

I thought that was Austin exec at first. They have a similar one.
They are another airport that will treat you like royalty.

1.jpg

I thought the same thing, Bryan. Of course, I haven't been to a ton of FBOs, so maybe the nicer ones start to look alike.

I lurk a lot. Most of what I know about GA I learned from quizzing Bryan as he prepared for his written and from the times I don't zone out when he's droning on . . . I mean educating me about planes and flying. ;)

Seriously though, I've always enjoyed flying. Went up in a small plane when I was about 8, and I still remember quite a bit about that flight. My friend's dad made me float, and that was about the coolest feeling ever -cool enough to remember it for over 25 years later.

Married Bryan in 2000, and a few months in, he took me to an FBO in Tulsa to watch planes and said one day he was going to become a pilot. Took 13 years before he accomplished that, but it was pretty damn cool to see him reach his goal. And another cool thing happened: I found out I really enjoyed flying in small planes too!

I've had 1 real lesson, but Bryan teaches me something each time we go up. I am going to take lessons until I'm confident I can get us down safely should Bryan bite the big one up in the sky, and at that point, I'll decide if I want to go all the way with the PPL thing. (After I am comfortable landing, not after Bryan dies, just to clarify.)

It's a lot of time, energy, and expense, but I'd sure like to look -I mean be- like Martha King one day. :D

I'll decide if I want to go all the way with the PPL thing. (After I am comfortable landing, not after Bryan dies, just to clarify.)

No after I die, all aviation stuff will be sold off and the insurance money will be spent on a horse ranch.

By the way I forgot to mention, Dinner was great last night. Weird anti-freeze aftertaste but other than that. mmmmmm.

I thought the same thing, Bryan. Of course, I haven't been to a ton of FBOs, so maybe the nicer ones start to look alike.

I lurk a lot. Most of what I know about GA I learned from quizzing Bryan as he prepared for his written and from the times I don't zone out when he's droning on . . . I mean educating me about planes and flying. ;)

Seriously though, I've always enjoyed flying. Went up in a small plane when I was about 8, and I still remember quite a bit about that flight. My friend's dad made me float, and that was about the coolest feeling ever -cool enough to remember it for over 25 years later.

Married Bryan in 2000, and a few months in, he took me to an FBO in Tulsa to watch planes and said one day he was going to become a pilot. Took 13 years before he accomplished that, but it was pretty damn cool to see him reach his goal. And another cool thing happened: I found out I really enjoyed flying in small planes too!

I've had 1 real lesson, but Bryan teaches me something each time we go up. I am going to take lessons until I'm confident I can get us down safely should Bryan bite the big one up in the sky, and at that point, I'll decide if I want to go all the way with the PPL thing. (After I am comfortable landing, not after Bryan dies, just to clarify.)

It's a lot of time, energy, and expense, but I'd sure like to look -I mean be- like Martha King one day. :D
Congratulations! Your course precisely parallels my wife, Mary's. She took "Pinch Hitter" flight lessons after I got my ticket, just so she could land the plane after I keeled over...

...and got hooked herself. We have split PIC time ever since, and it's been great!

Congratulations! Your course precisely parallels my wife, Mary's. She took "Pinch Hitter" flight lessons after I got my ticket, just so she could land the plane after I keeled over...

...and got hooked herself. We have split PIC time ever since, and it's been great!

I am sure you will meet us sooner or later.
We follow you on facebook.

Last week She asks me about this Amelia's landing place.
This week she says "I really want to try yellow fin tuna" ;)

We are doing Fredricksburg on Oct but are probably due for a trip sometime between now and then.

By the way I forgot to mention, Dinner was great last night. Weird anti-freeze aftertaste but other than that. mmmmmm.

Eren - read the BACK of the directions I sent you with those "seasonings" - more paprika will eliminate the "anti-freeze" taste.....:goofy:

What a great thread! Nice to see folks coming out of stealth mode. No one's input is too inexperienced or immaterial, yours truly excepted perhaps.

We are doing Fredricksburg on Oct but are probably due for a trip sometime between now and then.

Yes, please!

Eren - read the BACK of the directions I sent you with those "seasonings" - more paprika will eliminate the "anti-freeze" taste.....:goofy:

Noted! Though apparently I'll be trying this AFTER he takes me to Amelia's Landing! ;)

Noted! Though apparently I'll be trying this AFTER he takes me to Amelia's Landing! ;)

And you've boosted the value of the life insurance policy...

And this made me think of a suggestion for one of your movie nights.... one of my favorite film noir flicks

doubleIndemnity322.jpg

That's quite a long name there "All alone at the gas station of love and I have to use the self service pump"! I presume you are looking forward to the new Weird Al Yankovic CD coming out next week? I know I am :lol:

Hello,

I guess I'm a lurker as well.

I've been flying since 2006 and I fly out of Addison (KADS) in the Dallas area renting from the RFC Flying Club. I really enjoy the challenge of flying in the DFW airspace. Sharing the airspace with all of the Southwest traffic out of Love Field and getting a great view of downtown Dallas every time we fly south is great.

As to the advantages of being a pilot - my wife and I flew down to Fredericksburg on a Friday morning a couple of weeks ago, spent the day shopping, driving all around central TX and getting some great German food and beer and was able to get up early the next morning and make it back for her workout class in Dallas. Flying out of Fredericksburg at 6 AM was special. The only sound on the field before we cranked was the creaking of the airport light turning. We wouldn't have done it if we had to drive.

Next trip we're looking at is up to Barrtlesville, OK to stay at the Frank Lloyd Wright designed hotel there.

Happy Flying

That's quite a long name there "All alone at the gas station of love and I have to use the self service pump"! I presume you are looking forward to the new Weird Al Yankovic CD coming out next week? I know I am :lol:

Growing up with Dr. Demento, I always enjoyed Weird Al, Spike Jones, and many others.

The "All Alone...." item is not really the names we use to address one another. We use the login or real names (if known). The stuff in bigger letters can be changed anytime and often used to a humorous end.

Anyhow, welcome to PoA!

Hello,

I guess I'm a lurker as well.

I've been flying since 2006 and I fly out of Addison (KADS) in the Dallas area renting from the RFC Flying Club.

Howdy and Welcome!!!!

Be sure to join the forums at www.dfwpilots.com/board Many of us locals hang out over there in addition to here.

This weekend, at KRBD, there is a Young Eagles Rally if you are interested.

Next weekend, there is a WINGS seminar at Denton you might want to attend.

Glad you found us and decided to unlurk!

---------------------------

Thank you for registering online for the seminar "DA: It's Just a Bunch of Hot Air!!!". This is your registration confirmation email. The information below describes the seminar for which you have registered online.

"DA: It's Just a Bunch of Hot Air!!!"
On Saturday July 19, 2014 at 11:30 am
Select Number: SW1956798
5000 Airport Road

Denton, TX 76207
Directions:
The terminal building is 200 feet northeast of the Denton control tower.

To view further details for this seminar, unregister from this seminar, or modify your current registration, click here. You may need to log in first before editing your registration.

The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:

Basic Knowledge 1 - 1 Credit

Thanks for the welcome and the info about the display names on the board here. I wasn't aware that it was easy to change the display name so readily and was wondering about that when I got signed up.

Yes, it's been a quite a while since I've heard Dr Demento on the radio.

......lurkers come out and say hi!

Hi!
Just PPL'd about 2 months ago, finally got my insurance mandated transition training in my AA5B ('79 Tiger) done; so now spreading my wings in the Carolina's and interesting my wife Teresa in starting her training.

Great stuff on this board - actually an important part in my training!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill in Carolinia (for now)

CONGRATS ON PPL!

Hi!
Just PPL'd about 2 months ago, finally got my insurance mandated transition training in my AA5B ('79 Tiger) done; so now spreading my wings in the Carolina's and interesting my wife Teresa in starting her training.

Great stuff on this board - actually an important part in my training!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I guess I can't be a lurker forever. I'm flying out of Bulverde, Texas. Their monthly fly in is this Saturday so I'll be there. Someday we will make it to Amelia's, too

Hi!

Congrats!

And awesome about the wife taking lessons. Mine is on here somewhere.
I teach her a lot of stuff and she had her first official lesson awhile back. Probably time to get her another real lesson.

Glad you're here and hope to hear some stories and see some pictures from your flying journey!

Welcome!

I guess I can't be a lurker forever. I'm flying out of Bulverde, Texas. Their monthly fly in is this Saturday so I'll be there. Someday we will make it to Amelia's, too

Excellent!

How long have you been flying and due to your location I gotta know if you have hit the hanger hotel yet?

I have been once and it was awesome. Going back in Oct with 2 planes and more family. Love that place.

And for what it is worth, we have folks near your area on the dfwpilots.com forum that try and meet up from time to time.

Welcome to another Texas Pilot!

Thanks Bryan... will share what I can and hope not to drive everybody batty :goofy:

There is no hope for most of us in the batty dept.

Love flying stories, photos, etc.
Bring it!

Long time lurker checking in, 31 posts in 6 years:)

That's not enough. :)

Glad you are here. Hope to see some flying photos of that bird in your avatar.

How long have you been flying?

I think it's really smart for repeated/long-term non-pilot passengers to learn to land a plane. And since that's the part most pilots have the hardest time learning you're basically done with your PPL after that. The rest is just a few hours and some easy navigation stuff...

Welcome to the club! :)

Hey, what do y'all do at that monthly fly in? We've talked about going to it, but keep getting messed up by the usual things. (Work, weather, blah blah blah.)

How late does it go? What kind of food? :)

Hey, what do y'all do at that monthly fly in? We've talked about going to it, but keep getting messed up by the usual things. (Work, weather, blah blah blah.)

How late does it go? What kind of food? :)

I would say based on limited experience, don't come for the food. Like Forrest Gump says, "You never know what you're gonna get." But do come to sit on the porch and meet some like minded locals. I understand that they will have build your own sandwiches rather than fire up the grill in the heat. I can't say what the hours are. I think you're safe to come between 12 and 2

I think it's really smart for repeated/long-term non-pilot passengers to learn to land a plane. And since that's the part most pilots have the hardest time learning you're basically done with your PPL after that. The rest is just a few hours and some easy navigation stuff...

Welcome to the club! :)

Thanks!

Though, from watching Bryan, it seems like there is a lot of memorization still left to do (air space, etc.), as well as some pretty stressful events (written, oral, check ride) between a few lessons and a PPL. I'm tough though; I could swing it. Just a lot to sign on for.

Back