High Density Altitude NA Singles

Skippyf16

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skippyf16
I'm based at KANK, Salida, CO (elev > 7500ft) and looking for options in a piston single. Budget allows 75k. As far as I can tell an M20 or Bonanza/Debonair have the best performance in high/hot, and even they are not that great. Am I forgetting any other planes? Thanks, Jason

My Bellanca Viking has been a fine hi DA performer.
Just get all the hp you can find. (BV=300hp engine)

Cherokee-235/Dakota, Cherokee-6, C180/182. They aren't especially fast, but the extra HP makes a difference for high DA.

Oh right, Viking also -- great plane, if the small interior is okay for you.

Look for C182's with a P.Ponk 265hp engine STC. But you can't have my twin turbo-normalized 182P. :7)

Seriously though, turbo normalized planes are terrific at high density altitudes. I enjoy taking off at max power at 9500' density altitude. (Sorry had to brag)

Cant afford TSIO unless its run out.

How are the maintenance costs on the Bellanca?

Cant afford TSIO unless its run out.

How are the maintenance costs on the Bellanca?
I can’t speak to the costs, but I’d suggest making sure you’ve got a mechanic who’s comfortable with wood structure before you commit to one.

Stick with an R182. We go from KBJC to 20V over Rollins Pass. Climb out at 90knots, two pax, full fuel, cross the pass at 12,500 and back down over the ridge. Same thing on the way back though you have longer to get to altitude.

When you mention Bonanzas and Mooneys, you are talking about a certain mission profile, so it's hard to say what others would interest you. For example, the best normally aspirated single I flew for performance in high density altitude conditions was a HawkXP, but that's a whole different breed than a Bo or Mooney (which really isn't that great until you get into the higher performance ones like the Ovation).

Last edited:
I'm based at KANK, Salida, CO (elev > 7500ft) and looking for options in a piston single. Budget allows 75k. As far as I can tell an M20 or Bonanza/Debonair have the best performance in high/hot, and even they are not that great. Am I forgetting any other planes? Thanks, Jason

Depends on your load and desired cruise altitude. I've flown a Cessna 150 at those altitudes in the summer. With one person it flies fine, but you still may have to search for thermals or updrafts.

I'm very bored lifting off in my turbo 182P with 4 people, full fuel, and luggage at 8500' density altitude watching others having to wait until nightfall. Not!

Landing Fees wrote:
I was bored once in my 182, then I clubbed a baby seal and I felt better.

How did you get a baby seal into your 182? Or, are you just bragging about the easy-loading aspects of the Cessna's two doors?

Landing Fees wrote:

How did you get a baby seal into your 182? Or, are you just bragging about the easy-loading aspects of the Cessna's two doors?

Come on, G. You know if you can fit it through the door, the 182 will haul it. Baby seals are a snap. Remove the back seat(s) and you can stack clubbed baby seals to the ceiling. Great clubbed baby seal hauler!

Have you considered Experimental?

My field is at 8,300 and almost everyday DA is more than 10,000. Considered experimental but don't know what performance would look like up here

Cherokee-235/Dakota, Cherokee-6, C180/182. They aren't especially fast, but the extra HP makes a difference for high DA.

Cherokee Six is a terrible high altitude performer. 300 HP doesn't help the Hersey bar wing. I can't really comment on the other choices, as I don't have direct experience, but I do with the Cherokee Six. One of the places I've flown that aircraft is Reno, and it was a miserable performance. 300 fpm required balancing a knife edge. Even the take-off charts only go to 8000'. After that, no data. I would not recommend a 6/300 for high altitude. I would not recommend a 6/260 at all.

Considered RVs but then the dog cant go with us...

Back