help with mission

larrylegend48

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Curryjb
I have seen so many experienced pilots valuable comments here, I’m looking for a few more. I just got my PPL 2 weeks ago. I got it in 5 months & I’m hooked on the aviation. My son is actually getting his commercial at the same time. I trained (70 hours) in a cherokee, but just bought into a really good fractional situation in a C182. Love the plane and will use it to fly my wife and family around Texas.
I want to get a smaller, low wing just to “fly around in”, but still want a little speed. Not concerned about payload. Will always just be me or maybe one more: I would appreciate some thoughts from those that have had experience; SR20, Diamond DA20, Grumman, or Debonair. I have flown a Van RV6, and loved it, just not sure I want to go the experimental route. * want to spend 100-150k. TIA. Curry

A Debonair is certainly an outlier on your list. Maybe an LSA like a Pipersport or whatever the Czech model is designated these days? That would be my choice for what you want to do. It doesn't sound like speed is really all that important for what you describe.

I've flown all of them and they are all good airplanes. But when you list both a 2-seater like a DA20 that's great for local messing around and short trips, and a solid 4-seat retract traveling machine like a Debonair, I think you need to spend some time considering what your mission is.

What airport are you flying from? My base is CFD.

Have you considered a Cessna 195? Get some!

Go experimental! I have one certificated and one exp. I much prefer the experimental category’s maintenance and modification options.

If you already have good access to the C182 then "a smaller, low wing just to fly around in” seems redundant.
Maybe the OP is thinking that it would be beneficial to have a more economical plane to go putzing around in. But in reality, the overhead of maintaining and insuring another airplane would erase any fuel savings he would gain unless he plans on flying it significantly more than the 182.

Since you trained in a Cherokee, that might be an option (the 140). It is low wing, practically speaking a two seater (I took the backseats out when I owned it), flys at your desired speed, burns under 10 gph and could still get you places in case you don’t have access to the 182 for one reason or another. Or if you really just want to putz around and bore holes in the air, get an Ercoupe or Aircoupe. The ones with the “larger” engines will go close to 100 while sipping fuel. And they’re cheap to acquire.

A little speed, is a very subjective phrase and can cover a few situations. Is there a minimum speed you would accept?
STOL would be an option for me if I had a traveling/family time plane already like the 182.
Probably not checking the low wing box, but I can't imagine them not satisfying at least some of your mission and being fun for years to come.
Also, I've noticed over time my desire (mission) waffles back and forth mostly between 3 things. Travel, learning, and fun.
Travel is covered with your 182.
Learning is whatever you want of course, but twin rating, IR, commercial, aerobatics, tailwheel, etc., is covered either with short term renting, or the 182.
Fun is another subjective term. STOL would do it for me. Plus it does offer other utility in the form of camping, off field activities, and whatever travel distance you choose.
I'd also agree with @Stewartb for the experimental route. You can always choose to have an A&P do all the work, or not.

The main problem you have.... is a good one :)

Stick with the 182. You are in an ideal situation for a new pilot. Build time, get experience, earn your IFR ticket. After a couple of years and a couple hundred hours, you can reevaluate your goals.

What everybody said. If you want, you can always get some dual time w/ an instructor in different aircraft, then maybe rent them to see how you like them. Maybe try tail wheel, too, I've heard that can be fun.

Your list covers a lot of ground.

You need to refine what you are going to do with this aircraft.

I have a Mooney 252, but are in the process of buying an aerobatic airplane. It is a 2 seat with a decent cruise speed, so can also be used for a short $100 hamburger flight or just going up for the purpose of going up.

And don't forget, the purchase price is the starting point. Can you get a hangar? What price? What is insurance going to run? Are going to actually fly it enough to keep is in good shape?

Like others have said, your desires as stated don't make a whole lot of sense to most of us.

You have a share of a 182. You want a "smaller" airplane just to fly around in, but two of your suggestions are an SR20 and a BE33. I wouldn't classify either of these as "smaller" - I mean yes, in terms of exact cockpit measurements maybe, but they're all 4-seat airplanes in the same "class".

All 3 of those are basically equivalent in the "fly around in" category. In fact, the 182 is probably the best of the three for "flying around in", given easy entry and a good view. And shade on a hot day.

It would be more understandable if you were looking at, say, a Cub or something else dramatically different.

Small low-wing to just fly around in, with a little speed? Your mission screams RV. Experimental is fine - you can (and should learn to) do so much more maintenance and repairs yourself than with a certified, parts are far less, and you can pretty much customize to your heart’ content. No such things as STCs in Experimental.

If it wasn’t good, it wouldn’t have stayed popular for so long. With your budget, you can get a nice RV and have an absolute blast.

I've got some time in a SR-20; plenty to like about it, but it's not a "crash-and-dash" airplane - more a traveling machine. It's way "over-avioncs'ed" for casual flying. More in the class of your 182. Speed and fun? I think people here have already mentioned Vans, and there are some very good examples in your price range.

Back