Help me study for an airline interview...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
This thread is to be a container for different questions I develop as I'm studying for an airline interviews.

I am using the gouge found at www.airlineinterviews.com. Every once and a while I come across something that I want to know more about, or the answers listed are conflicting, or do not yet make sense.

Many I eventually figure out for myself. Others remain a brain stumper. So for those, I turn to some of the braintrust here for help...

Hopefully this will also help others as they prepare for their interviews

Let's start with Takeoff Minimums....

2 questions for this... Specifically applying the RVR information to the T/O Minima on the Jepp Airport Information plate.

I know that 5/5/5 in the minima means we need at least 500 feet in the TDZ, Mid, and Roll out areas respectively

If an "M" appears in the RVR, such as 5/M/5, what does it mean?​

Next, a gouge question asks

Can you T/O with M/6/6? (reference the KDFW Minima)

But the answers in the gouge are conflicting... which is correct? Any added explanations?

• Yes, With 3 RVR sensors, all are controlling. At least 2 are required to be operational
  • RVR for Approach end, mid field and roll out. If first one is missing or low you can not takeoff.
  • NO
DFW TAKEOFF MIN.jpeg

That is more like a checkride question than an interview question.

5/M/5 means the midfield RVR sensor is inoperative (missing).

In your scenario, you could takeoff with M/6/6, but not, for example, 4/6/6.

However your carrier will have OpSpecs that might change interpretation of this table. That's why I said it's more of a checkride question. What airline is this for?

Next question...

While on approach, what happens if the RVR drops below mins inside the FAF?
Gouge says we can continue the approach unless told not to. But to me, this appears to conflict with §91.175(c)(2) The flight visibility is not less than the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument approach being used.
Thoughts?

(And yeah, this might be more of a checkride question than an interview question. But I think it's worth knowing the Part 121 answer anyway)

Next question...

Gouge says we can continue the approach unless told not to. But to me, this appears to conflict with §91.175(c)(2) The flight visibility is not less than the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument approach being used.
Thoughts?

(And yeah, this might be more of a checkride question than an interview question. But I think it's worth knowing the Part 121 answer anyway)
If the RVR drops inside the FAF you can take a look.

Two different requirements. The 121 reg is about crossing the FAF. 91.175(c)(2) is about descending below DA/MDA.

The various arrival "When to descend..." questions are making my head spin...

You are at 24000 and you need to be at 18000 by a certain waypoint. You are cruising at 400 kts. When do you need to start down and how fast is your vertical speed?

What's the Aggie simple way to work these problems?

Found a later question to points this out.
A more practical interview question might be, how would you determine whether or not you SHOULD continue, and if you opt to go missed early, what altitude & path do you fly?

You are at 24000 and you need to be at 18000 by a certain waypoint. You are cruising at 400 kts. When do you need to start down and how fast is your vertical speed?

18 miles out 2000fpm. 3 miles per 1000ft and half GS add a 0.

3 miles per thousand feet, 1000 fpm per 180 knots.

so 18 miles from the fix, about 2200-2300 fpm.

At KORD, near the approach end of 4L, there is a bit of taxiway labeled "Penalty Box".

What is that used for?

Also your putting way too much effort into the technical stuff for a regional interview. They have to hire you. You'd have to come across as some weird antisocial freak for them to not give you a cjo. I know its hard to believe but its super chill.save the studying for ground school
At KORD, near the approach end of 4L, there is a bit of taxiway labeled "Penalty Box".

What is that used for?
Gates occupied so you wait there. Or you dropped the gloves with United on taxiway bravo.

3:1 rule

240-180 = 60/3 = 20 miles out

400*5 = 2000fpm

Rough estimates but it will get you close.

I agree with the above post. Where are you interviewing lol. There will be some technical stuff but nothing this in depth unless they drastically changed things from a few years ago.

18 miles out 2000fpm. 3 miles per 1000ft and half GS add a 0.
So for the Descent Rate, just that GS and divide by 2 and tack on the 0?

If we were 300 knots, descent rate is 1500?

So for the Descent Rate, just that GS and divide by 2 and tack on the 0?

If we were 300 knots, descent rate is 1500?
Yep easy back of napkin math. Usually round up descent to nearest 5 so you never worry about being close. So instead of 18 miles just start down 20 miles out roll in 2000fpm and resume napping. In the actual plane you'd just put in a hard altitude at the fix and be done with it

Any how.... I finished an additional pass through all the gouge....

Need to make up a simple study folder from the Jepp Intro document that covers symbology for Airports, SIDS, STARS, Approaches. All those niggly details.

Might be ready for a "stump the chump" session soon.

You can continue the approach to DH/DA but, at that point, you must have the prescribed flight visibility and the defined visual references to continue and land.

RVR is not flight visibility but it's usually very close to it. If you land with RVR below minimums, you need to have a specific answer to how you determined that the prescribed flight visibility existed. i.e. you were able to see something specific that is at least that far away using the known dimensions of the flighting system and runway markings.

The interview is significantly more than that.

Ok, maybe a little more detailed, but everyone is getting job offers lately. Here is what SkyWizt (name changed to protect the innocent) sends to applicants to study:

When selecting an interview time, please keep in mind that the multi-faceted interview will consist of the following:

1. The Interview/Trip/CRM Scenario phase of the interview will include but is not limited to the following: HR questions, Jeppesen knowledge, FARs, weather, aircraft systems, turbine theory, CRM, etc. The basis of this phase will be your opportunity to demonstrate your ability to perform in a 121 airline environment.

2. Technical Evaluation Subject Areas:

• FAR and AIM, including Part 121 rules, approach procedures, commercial operations
• Weather
• Jeppesen approach plate knowledge and procedures.

• Jeppesen low altitude enroute chart knowledge and symbology
• Jet aerodynamics and high-speed flight characteristics
• Basic commercial aircraft systems, including electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and pressurization
• Jet engine fundamentals, theory, design, and operation

It is also recommended that you study the following materials prior to your interview:

• Your current and most flown aircraft operations manual(s)
• FAR / AIM
• "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot" by Ritchie Engel
• "The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics" by H.C. "Skip" Smith
• "Advanced Aircraft Systems" by David Lombardo

The official weather only matters at the FAF. You can perform the initial and intermediate segments with any weather. You can continue the approach after the FAF if the weather goes below minimums. In 121 you just need minimums AT the FAF.

Here is one that I see in the gouges for just about all of the regionals..... I'm interested in what you folk consider a proper response to the interviewer might be

What is the proper way to respond as an FO if the captain of your flight smells of alcohol or shows other signs of possible intoxication?
The best response I found so far was

I will take the Captain aside, tell him that I smell alcohol, and that causes you concern.

Tell the Captain that his two best alternatives are to call in sick, and that it is important that he not fly if there is any question about his fitness for flight.

If he refuses to listen, reach out to someone within the union for assistance. Try to avoid airline management if possible

Tell the Captain that you will not fly with him until the uncertainty about his condition is resolved.

Ok, maybe a little more detailed, but everyone is getting job offers lately. Here is what SkyWizt (name changed to protect the innocent) sends to applicants to study:

When selecting an interview time, please keep in mind that the multi-faceted interview will consist of the following:

1. The Interview/Trip/CRM Scenario phase of the interview will include but is not limited to the following: HR questions, Jeppesen knowledge, FARs, weather, aircraft systems, turbine theory, CRM, etc. The basis of this phase will be your opportunity to demonstrate your ability to perform in a 121 airline environment.

2. Technical Evaluation Subject Areas:

• FAR and AIM, including Part 121 rules, approach procedures, commercial operations
• Weather
• Jeppesen approach plate knowledge and procedures.

• Jeppesen low altitude enroute chart knowledge and symbology
• Jet aerodynamics and high-speed flight characteristics
• Basic commercial aircraft systems, including electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and pressurization
• Jet engine fundamentals, theory, design, and operation

It is also recommended that you study the following materials prior to your interview:

• Your current and most flown aircraft operations manual(s)
• FAR / AIM
• "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot" by Ritchie Engel
• "The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics" by H.C. "Skip" Smith
• "Advanced Aircraft Systems" by David Lombardo
Thanks for all of this.

I would pay the bucks and get a coach. There are many that can specialize in your exact airline of choice.
Not cheap, but if you get hired worth every Penny.

Yes. Has a base in DFW.

Keeping it close to vest for time being so I don't jinx it.
Don't go 140 if they offer it. Trips suck and its a dying/dead airframe. 175 is what i'd bid. Enjoy the Voy don't drink the AA coolaid too hard.

Regional. Uncertain if it's worth the cost of the prep folk.
Probably correct, but many regionals have increased pay where it may be beneficial.
Quicker to the regional, quicker to the major…

Big picture.

7 minutes from push F/A calls & says pax had a few drinks at the airport, is talking back. One F/A wants him off, another says they can handle him. The others never met him. Any solution?

7 minutes from push F/A calls & says pax had a few drinks at the airport, is talking back. One F/A wants him off, another says they can handle him. The others never met him. Any solution?
Our policy is before push any crew member can give the heave Ho. Not sure that applies to everyone.

Regional. Uncertain if it's worth the cost of the prep folk.

What is your long term goal? A major? If so, think of getting this regional job as a requirement to get the major job. How much money will you make at a major? Assuming you're under 50, its millions of dollars. So spending $500 on prep for your regional interview could net you millions.....

In total, between resume prep, application review, interview prep and an airline specific refresher before my actual interview, I bet I spent $2500. But had I not done all of that, there is no way I would have gotten a CJO from a legacy.

But, the reality of it is that the regionals are desperate. You seem like you're preparing pretty well, so maybe you can skip it. My advice is to have a solid introduction for when they ask "tell me about yourself". Say it out loud, and time it. Talking to yourself is awkward as hell, but worth it. Try to keep it around 5-6 minutes.

Good luck!

Back