"He was such a good pilot..."

In the professional safety field, we do not use the term Accident. Accident implies things that are out of control of the people involved. We use the term Mishap.

In the work world, normally 80 - 85%% of mishaps are caused by unsafe acts. Only about 1% are actually accidents.

Reservoir/Header tank, fuel selector, and strainer are under the belly/cowl.
My 182-S has no header tank/reservoir as far as I can see visually and in the fuel system diagram in the POH. I see 12 'sump' points in the POH and in inspection of the A/C. Am I missing something? Honest concerned question.

Could be worse, you could be in a post-restart Cessna with 13 sump points.
Those were necessary to get every low point that could catch water. Those airplanes don't have the separate fuel tank like the legacy airplanes; the tanks are just sealed-off sections of the wing, the old tank bays, and structural members across the bottom of the tank can catch water and hold it until the airplane bounces around some, dislodging the water and sending it toward the outlets.

This is the bottom skin of the wing in the tank area.

1701268473973.png

Numerous drains, both inboard and outboard, due to those stiffeners and to the fact that too many pilots will sump with the airplane parked on a sideways slope.
If there are 13 points I have been missing one. Ten wing, one strainer, one selector. Is there another?
There's one in the bottom of the header tank (reservoir), too. On the belly.

My 182-S has no header tank/reservoir as far as I can see visually and in the fuel system diagram in the POH. I see 12 'sump' points in the POH and in inspection of the A/C. Am I missing something? Honest concerned question.
There was no header. Seems to me, though, that there might have been a service bulletin to install one. There was such a bulletin for the 172R and early 172S airplanes. The header would be under the floor beneath the copilot's feet. If you pull up the carpet there and see a large rectangular access cover, there it is.

This one was from a few years ago, thankful my old crusty musty curmudgeon CFI taught me how to investigate fuel pulls. This could have been a bad day.

Those were necessary to get every low point that could catch water. Those airplanes don't have the separate fuel tank like the legacy airplanes; the tanks are just sealed-off sections of the wing, the old tank bays, and structural members across the bottom of the tank can catch water and hold it until the airplane bounces around some, dislodging the water and sending it toward the outlets.

This is the bottom skin of the wing in the tank area.

View attachment 122815

Numerous drains, both inboard and outboard, due to those stiffeners and to the fact that too many pilots will sump with the airplane parked on a sideways slope.

There's one in the bottom of the header tank (reservoir), too. On the belly.
Yeah, I was aware of the reasons for the additional sumps, although the more common thought is that Cessna installed one sump for every one of the lawsuits they lost/paid out over the previous sump design, lol.

So because of the crash that @Lowflynjack mentioned, I invented a thing. Joe and Walt were our friends that died in that crash. I was a relatively new pilot when they passed and I was ****ed at Walt for a long time because "A simple sump would have revealed water" Now that I fly a Comanche I realize the sumping is different and as I understand "most" Comanche pilots don't sump for the reasons you mention. I think about them on every preflight to this day and I force myself to sump but as you mentioned, there is no way to catch the fuel as with most other planes. So here is what I came up with. Suction to the belly, drain all 4 tanks and retrieve the bottle:

View attachment 122808

I want one. I push a glass dish under with a tow bar, but any breeze and it's worthless. I have the suction thingy, but not a bottle grip...Take my money.

Last edited:
Comanche doesn’t have typical push valves to sump the tank?

Nope. Has a sump drain you pull from the cabin, and the fuel flows out from a central sump through a clear tube in the belly. You need to drain each tank for a few seconds by turning the fuel selector.

I have to say, its those accidents with the "good" pilots that always gives me pause. One just for example, the recent Cardinal crash with Richard McSpadden. By all accounts, McSpadden was a highly accomplished and experienced aviator, yet he was put in a situation that he didn't escape. When that happens, it often makes me question my abilities and my choices. There have been numerous other examples that have triggered this reaction in me.

Its a lot easier to hear about the "dumb" pilot out doing "stupid" pilot things. Things that I would like to think I have the smarts and experience to avoid, although I know I've done some dumb stuff in the past and luckily lived to tell the tale.
As pilots, we manage risk, we don’t eliminate it.
Pilots who eliminate risk will be found on their sofa, not at the airport.

if we're talking about sumping then I'll dig this story out of the archives.....

just after I got PPL'd I had a cherokee rented. showed up early and was waiting for the prior rental to come back (student pilot + CFI). plane came back, student/cfi went to debrief, I started preflighting the plane. sumped one tank, no prob. sumped the other tank, 100% water. sumped again, 100% water. kept sumping until I started to get a mix of fuel/water. by that time the CFI was walking by and I showed it to him. he asked which plane that came out of and I said the one he just came back in. he said absolutely no way, he watched the student sump the plane. we were both kind of in awe. took a good 6-10 full sumps before we got all fuel. that's a LOT of water to just be hiding somewhere. it was really weird. and yes, these planes were stored outside all the time. be safe out there.

if we're talking about sumping then I'll dig this story out of the archives.....

just after I got PPL'd I had a cherokee rented. showed up early and was waiting for the prior rental to come back (student pilot + CFI). plane came back, student/cfi went to debrief, I started preflighting the plane. sumped one tank, no prob. sumped the other tank, 100% water. sumped again, 100% water. kept sumping until I started to get a mix of fuel/water. by that time the CFI was walking by and I showed it to him. he asked which plane that came out of and I said the one he just came back in. he said absolutely no way, he watched the student sump the plane. we were both kind of in awe. took a good 6-10 full sumps before we got all fuel. that's a LOT of water to just be hiding somewhere. it was really weird. and yes, these planes were stored outside all the time. be safe out there.
Cherokees don’t “hide” water…that generally only happens with bladder tanks.

I’d put my money on the student didn’t see any separation of water and fuel, and expectation bias kicked in with the assumption that the water they saw was fuel.

I’d put my money on the student didn’t see any separation of water and fuel, and expectation bias kicked in with the assumption that the water they saw was fuel.

Exactly what could have killed me that day. This CFI is doing his students a disservice.

Exactly what could have killed me that day. This CFI is doing his students a disservice.
To me, “disservice” implies some intentional short-cutting of the procedure…I’d be more inclined toward just a lack of knowledge and experience.

I’d say it took 7-11 sumps to get to pure fuel, or maybe 6.5-10.5, depending on how much the student had drawn. One hopes that the CFI in question learned from that experience.

I’d say it took 7-11 sumps to get to pure fuel, or maybe 6.5-10.5, depending on how much the student had drawn. One hopes that the CFI in question learned from that experience.

for reference, this is one of the best CFI's around here.....won the wright brothers award or whatever that is for 50+ years of excellence/no issues blah blah....military guy to the point that some people didn't want to train with him because of how tough he was. incredibly smart, thorough and experienced CFI I've ever met. this is just something that happened. it's nice that mauleskinner thinks he has all the answers but trust me he was perplexed and I could see it bothered him.

Nope. Has a sump drain you pull from the cabin, and the fuel flows out from a central sump through a clear tube in the belly. You need to drain each tank for a few seconds by turning the fuel selector.
side trail question here, but something I've wondered for a while now...
in the little bit of flying I've done over the last bunch of years, it seems that every place I'm renting from uses those gatz jars for sumping and returns the drawn gas to the tanks. Apparently the environmental folks no longer approve of broadcasting 100LL to evaporate...or otherwise pouring it on the ground like we did when I learned....

so
to those of you without that awesome suction cup invention get around the issue of these sorts of sumps in this new save the planet world?
It's not just comanche's...I recall quite a few cessna gascolators that were unreachable well at least the dump control and outlet at the same time were not reachable by any human I've ever met....
do you just hope nobody's lookin'?

for reference, this is one of the best CFI's around here.....won the wright brothers award or whatever that is for 50+ years of excellence/no issues blah blah....military guy to the point that some people didn't want to train with him because of how tough he was. incredibly smart, thorough and experienced CFI I've ever met. this is just something that happened. it's nice that mauleskinner thinks he has all the answers but trust me he was perplexed and I could see it bothered him.
I don’t think I have all the answers, but I also hope the instructor learned from the experience.

side trail question here, but something I've wondered for a while now...
in the little bit of flying I've done over the last bunch of years, it seems that every place I'm renting from uses those gatz jars for sumping and returns the drawn gas to the tanks. Apparently the environmental folks no longer approve of broadcasting 100LL to evaporate...or otherwise pouring it on the ground like we did when I learned....

so
to those of you without that awesome suction cup invention get around the issue of these sorts of sumps in this new save the planet world?
It's not just comanche's...I recall quite a few cessna gascolators that were unreachable well at least the dump control and outlet at the same time were not reachable by any human I've ever met....
do you just hope nobody's lookin'?

I have a gascolator drain on the underside of the cowl that just goes to ground. The 2 wing sumps get flung airborne to the rear so they don’t make a puddle and evaporate quickly. I don’t care who’s looking, but don’t make it obvious either.

FWIW - because of this thread, I read the article last night. It came up in my Flight Review about 12 hours later this morning, as it was also top of mind for the CFI. Prompted some good discussion and thinking - added to the Review.

Just another example of how and why I find this board worthwhile spending time on.

I have a gascolator drain on the underside of the cowl that just goes to ground. The 2 wing sumps get flung airborne to the rear so they don’t make a puddle and evaporate quickly. I don’t care who’s looking, but don’t make it obvious either.

I don't like to do it, but if I don't have a container I've been known to discreetly sump onto the ramp, then go look for water in the fuel puddle; looks like little bubbles. Really hate to do that, but if it's rained while tied down and I'm away from home, ya gotta do what you gotta do.

If you drain some fuel from all four tanks and find water, do you go back an do them individually to find which one had water? I'm guessing thats the only way!

No. If the waters at the bottom it's in the first tank you sumped if it's at the top it's in the last tank you sumped if it's in the middle it's somewhere between. HAHAHAHA!!!!! I kill me!

But yeah pretty much if there's water go back and check on one by one

But was McSpadden controlling the airplane? He was in the right seat and the plan was the owner in the left seat would fly the take off and climb, and McSpadden would take the controls when they began the photography. So we don't really know who was at the controls when the return was attempted.
Russ Francis was no neophyte, either.
https://www.petaluma360.com/article/sports/former-49er-great-russ-francis-still-flying-high

Last edited:
My Mooney you can sump the wings into the jar and see. But there is a drain under the fuselage that requires some help to catch. You are supposed to select each tank and pull the ring to drain some fuel.

One way is a second person holding the jar. Someone did a 3D print file for a holder to hold a GATS jar to the nose gear door to catch that drain.

Back with the 182 issue first came up, there was an RG on the field. I was talking to the owner about the issue and he claimed his was fine. The issue was with the bladders developing wrinkles and holding water. We went out and sumped both wings, all good. I went to the wing tip and rocked the plane as per the instructions. We sumped again and got over a quart of water out of one wing. Opened his eyes.

Question...
Lets say you miss some water.
Your fuel line fills with water and it gets to the engine and the engine dies.
You switch tanks.

Your fuel pump is just going to spray water into the engine until the fuel makes it up to the engine.
At that point would it restart? ITs full of water so I am not sure.

I did a test once. I was at idle on the ground and switched to the off position. At idle it took 63 seconds to kill the engine.
I am guessing at altitude its going to take a chunk of time before fuel even gets to the engine.

Sometimes things happen that just can’t be recovered from. A possible explanation could be that at the time of the engine failure it was physically impossible to make the turn without stalling. And / or it was also physically impossible to land without turning and be able to survive. Their fate was sealed as soon as they left the runway.

Which leads back to the idea that most important things to do to fly safely are what you do before getting in the plane.

Last edited:
I went to the wing tip and rocked the plane as per the instructions. We sumped again and got over a quart of water out of one wing. Opened his eyes.
Yup. There was a reason for the placard on the panel as per the AD, for the airplanes that still had the recessed fuel caps and had enough wrinkling in the bladder to trap three or more ounces of water.

Question...
Lets say you miss some water.
Your fuel line fills with water and it gets to the engine and the engine dies.
You switch tanks.

Your fuel pump is just going to spray water into the engine until the fuel makes it up to the engine.
At that point would it restart? ITs full of water so I am not sure.

I did a test once. I was at idle on the ground and switched to the off position. At idle it took 63 seconds to kill the engine.
I am guessing at altitude its going to take a chunk of time before fuel even gets to the engine.
That's a good question and would rather someone more experienced chime in. In my head, you switch tanks and start the fuel flowing. As long as the prop is windmilling, your engine is going to exhaust out the water vapor until it gets enough fuel, air and spark to ignite again. Spark may take a few blade passes to get any water off the plugs, maybe? The tough part is how do you know it is water to wait it out vs the other causes of an inert engine? Best case scenario: you've worked the checklist, picked your landing spot, established best glide windmilling slowly since you pulled your prop lever, and the engine lights up 60 seconds later.

That's a good question and would rather someone more experienced chime in. In my head, you switch tanks and start the fuel flowing. As long as the prop is windmilling, your engine is going to exhaust out the water vapor until it gets enough fuel, air and spark to ignite again. Spark may take a few blade passes to get any water off the plugs, maybe? The tough part is how do you know it is water to wait it out vs the other causes of an inert engine? Best case scenario: you've worked the checklist, picked your landing spot, established best glide windmilling slowly since you pulled your prop lever, and the engine lights up 60 seconds later.
That's exactly what I'd expect.

I wonder if a carburetor might have a harder time passing the water considering water is heavier and more viscous, and the carb is relying on borneulli to suck the fuel out of the bowl vs being pumped in with a FI system.

*ETA*

I was curious enough to Google it. According to boat people, water will get trapped in the float bowl, and given enough of it, kill the engine with no way to fix it other than physically dumping the water out of the carb. Doable on the water; much harder in flight. Another benefit of fuel injection.

*return to previous post *

At 15gph, my engine is burning a quart of fuel/minute. It seems it would pass a few ounces of water pretty fast. I sump my tanks every time I fuel her, or she's been sitting outside. I've never found more than a thimblefull of water.

According to boat people, water will get trapped in the float bowl, and given enough of it, kill the engine with no way to fix it other than physically dumping the water out of the carb. Doable on the water; much harder in flight. Another benefit of fuel injection.

Just do this…
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know McSpadden and it seems like I may be the only pilot on the planet that had never read one of his articles. I hear he preached against the "impossible turn", yet may have died during that exact maneuver.

As Mike Tyson put it, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” I had a friend who was a high-time pilot in everything from ultralights to his Comanche, yet when he faced an engine-out in the Comanche, looking at going into the water and trees or attempting that "impossible turn", he tried the turn. We're taught not to do it, but in reality, most of us will never have make that choice in real life. If you do, I hope you're not looking at trees and thinking about that perfectly smooth runway behind you. As I stood at the crash site, my best guess was he actually completed the turn and stalled at the last moment, trying to make it past the road and powerlines. He got punched in the mouth and we had to say goodbye to him.
He was a friend of mine too. Still think about him and that crash a lot. Been 8 years now I think.

Add to that nobody actually teaches how to do a pre-flight anymore, that sometimes you have to reach in under the cowling and touch, tug and twist stuff. Something goes sideways, asier to just blame

Go watch the ramp. When was the last time you actually saw someone do more than take a cursory look, versus reach in and give a mag a shake to see if it was secure?
One of the most common training airplanes is the 172. There is almost no way to check much in the engine compartment, since the oil filler door is the only access in most (all?) models. It's not realistic to expect a student to decowl the airplane before each flight.

Same goes for many PA-28 models.

Yes, you are...

The 172 has 13 sumps.
The 182 only has 12.

So don't listen to the 172 sump discussion. :D

Yeah, it was tough losing Walt. I didn't know Joe, but it was hard to understand that two pilots got in a plane, that had been sitting outside in heavy rains, and took off without sumping.
I agree, this has always bothered me as well. My hypothesis has always been that since it had been raining and the plane had not moved, he would have been unable to mow the grass under the plane for several weeks. So during preflight, the grass was probably pretty thick (and maybe damp too), making it difficult or at least unenjoyable to get under the middle of the plane to check the sump.

Also, I'm pretty sure some models of Comanche have the typical push-to-sump valves, either factory or retrofitted, not sure. No idea if Walt's had one.

Not excuses for not sumping (if he indeed didn't, and if the grass was the reason) - he could have moved the plane, etc.

But we all get complacent sometimes (again, unknown if this was the case here). One of my favorite personal stories to tell students is how I owned a Piper Warrior for 11 years, 800 hours, sukped every flight, and never once found any water in the fuel at all. Literally two weeks before I sold the airplane, I went flying. I almost didn't sump the tanks, because of my previous experience, and truthfully because I was being lazy. The plane was in a hanger, it hadn't rained etc. Well, I did decide to sump the tanks after all, and guess what? Water. The first time in 11 years.

I was curious enough to Google it. According to boat people, water will get trapped in the float bowl, and given enough of it, kill the engine with no way to fix it other than physically dumping the water out of the carb. Doable on the water; much harder in flight. Another benefit of fuel injection.
Water has considerable surface tension. Gasoline has nearly none. The tiny passages inside a carb will resist water flowing through them, which is one reason we take water contamination in fuel so seriously in aviation. A little glug of water could kill that engine dead and keep it dead.

Tanks have sumps that need draining. There's a coarse-screen finger strainer at the tank outlet to stop larger debris such as a leaf or big bug from entering the system. Then there's the gascolator (fuel strainer) that has a fine-mesh screen to stop much smaller stuff from reaching the carb, and that gascolator has a bowl to let gravity pull any water out of the fuel. Drain that bowl, every time, without fail. The last screen is in the carb or fuel injection servo, and it's so fine that it may not pass water at all if it's already wet with fuel. Enough water against that screen and you get no fuel to the engine.

Carbs have a float bowl, and that bowl has a drain plug. That plug is there for a reason. From a Cessna 172 inspection checklist, right out of the Cessna maintenance manual:

1701385485677.png
1701385579031.png

Every 100 hours. Yet I found plugs that had never been out.

1701385903504.png

Back