Have you experienced an unintentional stall/spin before?

While practicing stalls prior to getting my pilots license, I spun the schools 172. I recovered after one turn and promptly returned to FDK. Keep the ball centered!!!!

On my checkride, was told to do minimum controllable airspeed, it was a turbulent, bumpy day. I got the stall horn going, then hit a bump, boom, the nose drops. I recovered, all the while he's looking at me. I ignored him, finished the recovery, turned to him and said, "Sorry I stalled it, can I try again" He said "sure", nailed it the second time, finished the check ride and got my ticket. I thought for sure I had flunked.

Edit: it was just a stall, I've never spun an airplane, although I want to try it this year with an instructor.

I don't think you can in a 172 or pa28. You can yank the yokes all the way back put in full rudder and they just kinda mush down. Theres one cherokee i can get to spin to the right pretty good sometimes but i'm pretty sure its an airframe issue cause it requires left rudder in a power on stall...
Wish I had access to something that would snap into a spin if people weren't coordinated.

No matter how badly a student has done a stall the most i've every seen happen is the plane will fall to the left and lose 30 degrees heading.
172 will stall and spin just fine if you use lots of power in the stall.

Never unintentionally. CFI demonstrated a spin and recovery in a 150 back when I was a student. We tried to spin the glider in the UK in 2011 and had no luck, just stalled it.

Never happened to me, but it did nearly happen as a passenger.

Margy's instructor was a pragmatic guy. People train in 172s with just them and an instructor so they never get it loaded to gross. Of course, the first thing they likely do is load up the plane with three friends and go flying after they get their license. So Buzz likes to have the student fly the plane loaded up at least once before he signs then off. Well, one day he is giving a stage check to another instructor's student. Margy and I are standing around so Buzz recruits us to be human ballast.

Everything is fine until we're heading down the runway and the student rotates the plane and keeps going as the student decides to demonstrate a departure stall on departure. I grab Margy as I'm sure this is the end. It was at this point I heard what I term the CFI Death Scream which is the sound the instructor makes when he is in fear of dying. He's shouting "Get the nose down. If you drop this on its tail we're all gonna die" while pushing against the student.

Back