Harrison Ford lands on a taxiway @ SNA

So what can he expect? I've landed there myself it's pretty simple, unlike say Long Beach.

"Ford is revered as an excellent pilot" -- despite all those crashes and near misses. I guess being a celeb or US Senator is all you need nowadays to be "revered" while flying like Mr. Magoo.

Interesting. He's been in and out of SNA many many times, so it's not like he's unfamiliar.

He's Harrison Ford! Theyll say he saved the lives of all those passengers on the jet by not landing on them due to his superior flying skillz.

Or, theyll suspend his license...

:(

This is why no matter what situation I ever get in, I always have my fallback. key the mic and say there's a bee in the cockpit. I think anybody will forgive you for anything if there's a bee in your cockpit.

That's quite the bonehead move. 20L and 20R are pretty well marked.

Taxiway Charlie is used by smaller GA traffic, so if he overflew a 737 when landing, it was on Alpha, right next to the terminal! Of course, he could have overflown a jet on a perpendicular taxiway heading toward 20R.

(Old diagram; runways 19L & 19R since updated for drifting magnetic north!)

john wayne.gif

I suspect he overflew a plane on Lima holding short of 20L, and landed on Charlie. Yeah, it is pretty hard to confuse 20L for Taxiway Charlie. Hope the ASRS submittal is already in, will be the only thing that saves a certificate action.

Hmmm, 74 years old, some act and think like they are 34, some unfortunately begin to have cognitive issues. Sticky subject, but I hope Harrison gets thoroughly checked out before he flies again, that could have been a huge disaster.

I suspect he overflew a plane on Lima holding short of 20L, and landed on Charlie. Yeah, it is pretty hard to confuse 20L for Taxiway Charlie. Hope the ASRS submittal is already in, will be the only thing that saves a certificate action.
I once landed on 20L with a jet holding on Lima between the runways. I was too low and got a good wing-rock of jet blast on the approach end. Lesson learned!

Shetttttt! Ah well he's a celebrity so he's good. Happens at the airlines too, seen it. Damn taxiways.

834167961-sBIAFVX.jpg

I wonder if the phrases, "I've got a bad feeling about this" and "Never tell me the odds" are heard when flying with him.

This is why no matter what situation I ever get in, I always have my fallback. key the mic and say there's a bee in the cockpit. I think anybody will forgive you for anything if there's a bee in your cockpit.
True story: At the start of my IFR check ride, just as we're crossing the departure threshold on climbout, a bumblebee pops out from under the glareshield and starts buzzing around my DPE. He COMPLETELY FREAKS. Starts screaming and swinging away at the bee with his paperwork. Yells at me to declare an emergency because he's allergic, and to get back down on the ground NOW! NOW! NOW!! I concentrate on flying the plane and start making the pattern to land (I'm not going to declare; it's an untowered field and ATC's not going to be able to do anything for me), all the while with the DPE flailing and yelling next to me.

He finally gets a good enough whack on the bee to knock it onto the floor, where he proceeds to Fred Flintstone it to death. I swear I thought the dude was going to bang a hole through the floorboard with his foot!

The rest of the check ride was pretty uneventful, after that....

True story: At the start of my IFR check ride, just as we're crossing the departure threshold on climbout, a bumblebee pops out from under the glareshield and starts buzzing around my DPE. He COMPLETELY FREAKS. Starts screaming and swinging away at the bee with his paperwork. Yells at me to declare an emergency because he's allergic, and to get back down on the ground NOW! NOW! NOW!! I concentrate on flying the plane and start making the pattern to land (I'm not going to declare; it's an untowered field and ATC's not going to be able to do anything for me), all the while with the DPE flailing and yelling next to me.

He finally gets a good enough whack on the bee to knock it onto the floor, where he proceeds to Fred Flintstone it to death. I swear I thought the dude was going to bang a hole through the floorboard with his foot!

Please tell me he instantly passed you after that?

That's un-BEE-lievable!

Talk about a distraction.... That story makes dropped pencils and sectionals tossed into the back seat pretty tame.

I'd be like, " bro.....so I'm gonna pass this ride, correct? I'd HATE to have to tell everyone I didn't pass because my DPE lost it during a check ride. I mean, am I right or what? ";)

That's quite the bonehead move. 20L and 20R are pretty well marked.

Taxiway Charlie is used by smaller GA traffic, so if he overflew a 737 when landing, it was on Alpha, right next to the terminal! Of course, he could have overflown a jet on a perpendicular taxiway heading toward 20R.

My money is on landing on Charlie - I don't how thats possible - but thats the story. The AA aircraft was holding short of 20L for landing traffic -

Go listen to the tape - its readily available - --> liveatc.net ---> KSNA tower . . .

Wow, especially from that view it is really hard to understand how he missed the runway

Not condoning it, but I'd guess tunnel vision, focused on "little runway on the left, big runway on the right, and aprons on either side".

10pdhyq.png

Talk about a distraction.... That story makes dropped pencils and sectionals tossed into the back seat pretty tame.

I had an instructor on a instrument check ride [not 'the' checkride but a IPC] toss my sectional in the back after asking to see it - we were on an IFR flight plan at the time - I just looked back and smiled and moved on with the flight - he asked me how I was going to identify some visual checkpoint and I simply changed my iPad presentation from L3 to Sectional . . .

He had not used them much - and learned right then and there that sometimes the old men had a trick up their sleeve. . . .

Not condoning it, but I'd guess tunnel vision, focused on "little runway on the left, big runway on the right, and aprons on either side".

10pdhyq.png
I find it hard to believe anyone who is in their correct state of mind would mistake that small piece of pavement for a runway, especially somebody who frequents the area like him. :no:

I find it hard to believe anyone who is in their correct state of mind would mistake that small piece of pavement for a runway, especially somebody who frequents the area like him. :no:
And not only that, he obviously saw the plane he overflew to land. If you have to ask about another aircraft on the runway, you're probably wrong. So go around.

Back