Harrison Ford lands on a taxiway @ SNA

I don't know Eddie, it looked pretty close to me, not evasive maneuver close, but probably less than 100 feet close. I have 2 problems with this flight now, first that he didn't go around when he saw the airliner on the beginning of his "runway", and the second that he apparently repeatedly referred to himself as a helicopter flight. Those two issues need to be checked out.
He frequently flies a helicopter. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me to get that wrong. But in general it seems like flying was not foremost on his mind during that flight.

He frequently flies a helicopter. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me to get that wrong. But in general it seems like flying was not foremost on his mind during that flight.

I suppose, but I would think he would catch himself after the first time, he's probably ok, but after the last 6 or so years dealing with dementia in older relatives, it just feels familiar.

Agreed. "Helicopter" and "Husky" both begin with H. Seems silly, but when I moved from my Cirrus to my Sky Arrow, it took a while for me to completely stop saying "Cirrus". I had similar problems when going back and forth from Cessnas to Citabrias.

But agreed that he needs to be checked out. Let's hope it was just a bad day - something that none of us is immune to.

I don't know Eddie, it looked pretty close to me, not evasive maneuver close, but probably less than 100 feet close. I have 2 problems with this flight now, first that he didn't go around when he saw the airliner on the beginning of his "runway", and the second that he apparently repeatedly referred to himself as a helicopter flight. Those two issues need to be checked out.

Where are people getting that he referred to himself as a helicopter? This is the second time I've seen that, but without a source. I know there was some fake ATC audio going around for a while, so not sure if it came from that?

I'd like for the previous "eye witness" to show me where the "out of control banking before slamming into the runway" was.

He certainly should have gone around when he saw the 737, but really, nobody was endangered.

The video also shows that the airliner was in motion while Ford was on final. While that should have been another clue that he was lined up with the wrong part of the airport, put yourself in his shoes. Airliner is off to the left, slowly pulling up toward where the hold short line should be. Maybe you even heard the airliner being told to hold short for an arriving Husky (as the airliner was indeed to do, just a little farther to the right at the runway instead of the taxiway). Filter this through confirmation bias, and voila, the airliner is actually another clue that you are lined up with the correct runway.

He made a mistake. No doubt about that. It's a mistake that could have endangered people and property. Again, no doubt. The mistake didn't actually endanger anyone or anything this time. That's a good thing. But it's nevertheless a safety concern and therefore it should require a little bit of dual time or a check ride. It's not a mistake worthy of lynching, though.

EDIT to remove unnecessary TMZ link. Thanks, @FastEddieB, for posting just the video.

I think he did it because he could. Many many hours in tail draggers including a beautiful de hav beaver. The video shows him to be in perfect, full flap descent and missing the airliner by a good bit, certainly not a " near miss"!! He has lots a money and his two previous accidents were not his fault. Much ado about very little. Husky is amazing to fly and can operate out of a thousand feet easily.

Here's a video from the airport showing the landing from a number of points of view.

Where are people getting that he referred to himself as a helicopter? This is the second time I've seen that, but without a source. I know there was some fake ATC audio going around for a while, so not sure if it came from that?

Eddie posted the link, I hope it's in there, but I read it on the internet, in these forums, hope it's true. ;)

Him referring to the aircraft as a helicopter and calling the wrong tower has been on the local news. Which one of us haven't done that a time or two. I don't see that as much of a deal, certainly not worth the time on TV he's getting.
I stated previously that the airliner was at least partially responsible since it was moving. I don't know about you, but if I am waiting or moving to the hold line, my eyes are on the arriving aircraft for just that reason. Just because you THINK you have the right of way, right isn't always the safest thing to do.
By my estimate, he was a couple 100 feet above the other aircraft and may in fact have passed forward of its nose.

Him referring to the aircraft as a helicopter and calling the wrong tower has been on the local news. Which one of us haven't done that a time or two. I don't see that as much of a deal, certainly not worth the time on TV he's getting.
I stated previously that the airliner was at least partially responsible since it was moving. I don't know about you, but if I am waiting or moving to the hold line, my eyes are on the arriving aircraft for just that reason. Just because you THINK you have the right of way, right isn't always the safest thing to do.
By my estimate, he was a couple 100 feet above the other aircraft and may in fact have passed forward of its nose.
BS. You aren't looking for planes in the sky while you are taxiing on a taxiway. The jet never entered a runway. It is absolutely not his responsibility.

i don't think you looked at the footage.

Based on other interviews and stuff I've seen with Harrison Ford lately, seems his mental state is on the decline.

That being said... when I first started flying my Cherokee, it took a couple flight hours to get out of the habit of calling myself a Cessna.

And I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to flop frequencies.

I can certainly understand the helicopters call, as he flies helicopters, and when you're flying the mini route, you're usually talking to LAX helicopters for the transition. So him being a helo pilot and talking to LAX helicopters, I can understand the mental mix up.

Definitely worth a check ride but definitely media sensationalizing again.

Big WRONG for you. The 737 was where he was cleared to, taxing to hold short of 20L for landing traffic (HR) but HR landed on the taxiway instead of 20L. It's his screw up, all by his lonesome. Why are you defending him anyway?

Big WRONG for you. The 737 was where he was cleared to, taxing to hold short of 20L for landing traffic (HR) but HR landed on the taxiway instead of 20L. It's his screw up, all by his lonesome. Why are you defending him anyway?
I wonder which far he thinks states that the copilot should be looking out his window to see a little husky on final towards a taxiway and put the plane in reverse to avoid an indicident? He certainly couldn't go forward without violating the hold short order.

This is why no matter what situation I ever get in, I always have my fallback. key the mic and say there's a bee in the cockpit. I think anybody will forgive you for anything if there's a bee in your cockpit.
Unless it is Aunt Bea,

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that his jet requires two pilots.

For just what reason?

I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that his jet requires two pilots.
It definitely requires two pilots. It's a C-680, Citation Sovereign.

I would say that mistake wasn't nearly bad enough to trigger an emergency revocation, so I'm not surprised that he would still be flying.

Back