Harrison Ford down

I've been thinking about getting one of these:
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-299821/Headset-Helmets-For-Lightspeed-Zulu-Headsets.html
Mostly because your hair flapping around in the wind gets pretty old on a 15 hour flying day.

But, if such a thing existed, with some impact protection as well...why not?

I like those headset helmets. I would imagie you pretty much need one in an open cockpit, but yes it does not offer any protection. Just comfort. Ford's looks pretty good though.

Campbell Aero Classics

Their helmets are popular with many in the warbird movement. Practical modern protection with a somewhat vintage appearance. A bit spendy though...north of $2K last I heard a couple of years ago.

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/index.html

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Last edited:
Sorry it's a screenshot. One of those annoying websites that won't link to the photo...

17ae09e24f1c221ce3dca1e66947f2ab.jpg

Campbell Aero Classics

Their helmets are popular with many in the warbird movement. Practical modern protection with a somewhat vintage appearance. A bit spendy though...north of $2K last I heard a couple of years ago.

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/index.html

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Those are the ones. Made down in NZ to go with all the vintage aircraft they have imported. That is what Kermit Weeks uses.

Those are the ones. Made down in NZ to go with all the vintage aircraft they have imported. That is what Kermit Weeks uses.

So does Steve Hinton...even cooler than Kermit. :)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Only thing that will effectively keep your face from becoming one with the panel is a good, properly adjusted shoulder harness. The purpose of a helmet is to protect your brain from serious head injury.

Well, that and the Amsafe airbag seat belt system. It really is a life saver and I wish the FAA would fast track it for simple installation like the AoA indicators. I really don't know it if could be adapted to Mr. Ford's Ryan or not, but if it could, I bet he would be more than grateful to have had it.

And for an even tougher act to follow

Harrison Ford Flies Again After Fatal Plane Crash

By Jennibeth Loro(staff@newseveryday.com) - 30 May '15 12:06PM

• getty.jpg
Harrison Ford flies for the first time three months after his fatal plane crash on March this year.

With the help of a co-pilot, the excited 72-year old flew his 2013 Bell 407 helicopter in the skies of Santa Monica for a couple of hours, People reports.

And for an even tougher act to follow

Harrison Ford Flies Again After Fatal Plane Crash

By Jennibeth Loro(staff@newseveryday.com) - 30 May '15 12:06PM

• getty.jpg
Harrison Ford flies for the first time three months after his fatal plane crash on March this year.

With the help of a co-pilot, the excited 72-year old flew his 2013 Bell 407 helicopter in the skies of Santa Monica for a couple of hours, People reports.

Resurrection works for him too?

One of the local so called news broadcast seemed amazed that someone who crashed a plane could just go out and fly.
I spent the most of the report calling the reporter a dumb ass and correcting him on the description of the Bell 307.
Unfrapping believable.

I guess proofreaders must be too expensive to keep on staff these days. Un-freaking-believable that no one caught that.

One of the local so called news broadcast seemed amazed that someone who crashed a plane could just go out and fly.
I spent the most of the report calling the reporter a dumb ass and correcting him on the description of the Bell 307.
Unfrapping believable.

Bell 407...:wink2:

As Harrison called me from beyond the grave to comment, he said 'reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.'

I guess since he's already dead, he can't get killed again in a plane, so he's bullet proof now.

The insurance companies have made him fly the Bell for a long time with a co-pilot after he broke one previously.

He joked about it on Inside the Actor's Studio a long time ago.

Just saw video of his appearance at comic-con. Looks like he's getting around pretty well. Nice to see.

Just saw video of his appearance at comic-con. Looks like he's getting around pretty well. Nice to see.

Yeah,.

He was here for a few weeks over the 4th.. We spoke a few times since his hangar is next to mine...He is healing up and he got alot of flying in with the Husky and the Beaver.. Probably 12-15 hours of stick and rudder time...

The best medicine is flight time... and he surely took a double dose..:yes::):)

The airplane was undoubtedly used as a WW2 trainer. At that time it must have had seat belts and shoulder harnesses installed and it's probable they would have been attached to the frame as they were in my Stearman. Could be they were replaced by an idiot much later?? He's lucky the golf course was there, an open space, or his 180 could have been tragic. I always liked him as an actor and especially how he got into acting.

The airplane was undoubtedly used as a WW2 trainer. At that time it must have had seat belts and shoulder harnesses installed and it's probable they would have been attached to the frame as they were in my Stearman.

While you are probably correct WRT the Stearman, it is not necessarily true for other WWII military aircraft. I've seen several where the original seatbelt assembly attached to the seat not the actual airframe. T-6 is a good example.

I am shocked. The report doesn't read- "Probable cause is the pilot's failure to select a suitable landing sight. Contributing factor was the carburetor main jet came loose..." kind of thing. :rolleyes: The shoulder harness sounds like it was pretty lame. One would think they would make an attach point to the frame, not the seat.

The airplane was undoubtedly used as a WW2 trainer. At that time it must have had seat belts and shoulder harnesses installed and it's probable they would have been attached to the frame as they were in my Stearman. Could be they were replaced by an idiot much later?? He's lucky the golf course was there, an open space, or his 180 could have been tragic. I always liked him as an actor and especially how he got into acting.

Mmmm, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not all trainers of the era had shoulder straps, nor did all the bombers either. IIRC the B-25 didn't come with them either. I would also think a military contracted/applied retrofit would have been done properly with a doubler. That retrofit sounds like it was done on the cheap. I'm surprised his mechanic let that pass, I wouldn't have.

Back