Harrison Ford avoids enforcement action for taxiway landing

Money money money, it helps in times like these.

That's good for him.
Yeah, mistakes happen. He probably just needed to convince some FAA guys that he isn't losing his marbles.
Agreed. As people get older the younger ones start thinking about their ability to drive. HF is no spring chicken, so after the incident a little checkup isn't a bad idea. Glad it worked out for him

The Faa is pushing retraining or refresher training,in place of enforcement if the pilot is reasonable and admits his mistakes. The Faa can be forgiving,it's not about the money .

He's just lucky he wasn't conducting any business at time, or he'd really be in some deep doo-doo. :rolleyes:

This is the more recent "kinder & gentler FAA".

This is the more recent "kinder & gentler FAA".

My grandfather landed on the taxiway at KSDL 10-12 years ago. The FAA just slapped his hand. No fine, no suspension. My grandmother, however, took his license away and told him she would never fly with him again. He sold his Cherokee and never flew again.

"Near collision". "Alarming episode". Oh the horror of it all!

Cheers

@DutchRoller

@Checkout_my_Six you prolly figured this out :)

I think @azblackbird was attempting to allude to the fact that so many others on this board have criticized him for wanting to use his plane for business purposes.

That's not how I read the criticisms of him. I think most of it has been about him trying to espouse vast knowledge of aviation while at the same not posessing any certificate and not yet locating a CFI worthy of a person of his stature.

No one questions the use of an airplane to conduct one's business as long as it isn't flying for hire without a commercial or operating certificate.

The Faa is pushing retraining or refresher training,in place of enforcement if the pilot is reasonable and admits his mistakes. The Faa can be forgiving,it's not about the money .

Yes, for private pilots. Anyone else and plan on taking an unpaid vacation.

No harm, no foul, right? I do take an extra peek now when I'm on the taxiway, just to make sure Harrison Ford isn't about to land over me!

HF 'fessed right up to his mistake, which is to his credit. I'm guessing he also filed an ASRS report about the incident within ten days, too. The latter would protect him from any FAA enforcement actions, as it would for any of us.

Best,

Don

VFR, good vis, minimal risk to anyone. . .long, straight, hard surface on the airport proper; honest mistake, which he owned immediatley and spontaneously. I'm good with the outcome. Not like he put it on the parking structure roof, or even against taxiing traffic.

HF 'fessed right up to his mistake, which is to his credit. I'm guessing he also filed an ASRS report about the incident within ten days, too. The latter would protect him from any FAA enforcement actions, as it would for any of us.

Best,

Don
An ASRS will waive penalty, but not the enforcement action itself.

I know a guy who landed a 757 on a taxiway. A husky is child's play.

Honestly, I'm glad he didn't get the axe. Mistakes do happen and I'm glad no one was hurt. that probably had a lot to do with him not getting loved tenderly by the FAA.

I bet he won't do that again.

Even without ASAP, the FAA can be pretty reasonable I you don't go into it with a confrontational attitude.

Even without ASAP, the FAA can be pretty reasonable I you don't go into it with a confrontational attitude.
Yes, they *can* be, but I'd rather take my chances with the protections of the ASAP.

Yes, they *can* be, but I'd rather take my chances with the protections of the ASAP.
Yeah but it's not exactly your choice to have ASAP, it's your employer's, or maybe your union's.

Yeah but it's not exactly your choice to have ASAP, it's your employer's, or maybe your union's.
I'm not positive, but I don't believe it's all that hard to set up. The company shouldn't really have an issue with it, and obviously the pilot group won't. Not sure exactly what's involved in the initial set up.

Back