Hanging an Engine...Alone?!

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
I've been reading about how to hang a Lycoming 360 on an RV-8...
Its recommend that it be done with some assistance, not solo.
What's the risk? Is it really that hard to do it without some extra helping hand(s)?

Is there some special techniques to doing it by yourself?
What is the tribal knowledge here?

Thanks!

I did mine by myself…..not an expert but I did take my time and double checked things.

Attachments

• IMG_6096.jpeg
    IMG_6096.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 13
I did my IO-390 on a dynofocal mount by myself. My Cub’s engine sits high off the ground. I used a ceiling hoist as the primary lifter and needed my portable cherry picker to raise the ring gear support so I could get the bolts in. Not terribly difficult and never any risk of damaging anything. Another able body would have made it easier but I enjoyed doing it solo.

I've only done engine work on experimental aircraft but I've removed & installed various engines by myself. Follow the prompts ... ;)

I’ve hung many a a T-400 tranny on the back of an engine under a car on my own, with a simple floor jack and wood, so the engine onto the plane should in theory be easier, though I’ve never done it. Just don’t be under it too long.

It took me a few minutes to squirm my way out from under the car when the trans came off the wood and pinned me one time, lol. I was strong enough to catch and keep it from making hard impact with me, but not strong enough to push it off of me. I think I may have yelled “mommy” at some point.

I have nothing more to add to this topic but it was an excuse to share my dumb but funny mistake.

One of the tricks I heard was to mount the Dynafocal mount to the engine while its on the hoist. Level the aircraft with a tail-lift, then hang the engine and mount on the firewall.

I haven't done this. But, I remember reading about it some time ago.

I hung an engine on a conical mount by myself. It took a lot longer than I thought it should have. And, it took a lot of grunting and groaning to get everything to line up.

I've done it solo twice on a dynafocal mount. The key is to have a way to tilt the engine (load leveler) or the airplane so the engine is at the right attitude vs the engine mount. Also, I used cut off and rounded bolts as hole finders/alignment tools, then followed those with the real bolts. In the upper mounts (IIRC) phillips screwdrivers work well as alignment tools too...

I've done it solo twice on a dynafocal mount. The key is to have a way to tilt the engine (load leveler) or the airplane so the engine is at the right attitude vs the engine mount. Also, I used cut off and rounded bolts as hole finders/alignment tools, then followed those with the real bolts. In the upper mounts (IIRC) phillips screwdrivers work well as alignment tools too...

Ditto. I've done my IO-540 twice solo as well. A load leveler from HF is the key for sure.

Hanging a constant speed prop by yourself sucks, without a sling and a hoist.

Yes, especially with a Hartzell-style hub. Done that several times on my Cub. Anti Splat Aero’s hub bolt wrench makes it easier but it’s still a PITA.

Yes, especially with a Hartzell-style hub. Done that several times on my Cub. Anti Splat Aero’s hub bolt wrench makes it easier but it’s still a PITA.
Yep -- been there done that. I recently pulled my Hartzell for a reseal. When I re-installed it I forgot the hub o-ring and didn't discover that fact until after I had finished all the safety wiring and saw the little pouch taped to a blade staring me the in the face. Ugghhhhhhhhhh! Mother F'er!!!!!! So I got to immediately pull the prop back of and do it all over again. I also have the Anti-Splat wrench, but getting everything aligned and started with the prop hanging in air off the hoist is a royal PITA.

Last edited:
I bought a safety cable tool after doing my prop a few times. I’m over trying to pull wire through those bolts in those tiny spaces!

I have installed a lot of engines and I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone around to help. Don’t overthink this, it’s no big deal.

It could be this,

It pulls a braided safety wire, to correct tension, then swages a end stop piece, then cuts the wire.

Not an O-360 and not an RV whatever.
But yea olde engine hoist, a sling, and a ratchet strap to adjust the pitch attitude of the engine worked for me.
(there is a video on my youtube channel, but if I tell you about it, that makes me a bad person.)

I have done it 3 times by myself with a small 0-320 on a 172. I was thinking it would be easier with an extra pair of hands but I managed.
I rigged it with 7 dollar engine chain lifter from the fly mart at Oshkosh. I actually made one just like it 20+ years earlier but someone borrowed it and it was never returned. I saw this one at Osh, I couldn't make another one like it for 7 bucks.
IMG_8190.JPG

IMG_8188.JPG

The dog was no help, just got in the way.

Last edited:
Should have had him at least play in used oil. That way it would look like he helped.
He has been around plenty of dirt and grease at work. Poor dog, but he just wants to be with me no matter how dirty he gets!
MVC-010S.jpg

This dog is so balanced that he stands up without bumping anything around him. Very agile I guess is the word. He will Never lay on something that is already on the couch or bed. Very smart.
MVC-008S.jpg

SDC11198.jpg

Last edited:
He has been around plenty of dirt and grease at work. Poor dog, but he just wants to be with me no matter how dirty he gets!
MVC-010S.jpg

MVC-008S.jpg

SDC11198.jpg

Everyone has their favorite breeds and I'll be the first to say I've never been much of a poodle guy, but their is something about that dog that is just cool.

I’ve hung many a a T-400 tranny on the back of an engine under a car on my own, with a simple floor jack and wood, so the engine onto the plane should in theory be easier, though I’ve never done it. Just don’t be under it too long.

It took me a few minutes to squirm my way out from under the car when the trans came off the wood and pinned me one time, lol. I was strong enough to catch and keep it from making hard impact with me, but not strong enough to push it off of me. I think I may have yelled “mommy” at some point.

I have nothing more to add to this topic but it was an excuse to share my dumb but funny mistake.
lol "mommy"! I remember mumbling that right before a head on crash when I was 16 years old!

I also remember installing clutches on dodge challengers more than once. I was hell on wheels and very hard on clutches. But I didn't care as my buddy worked at the parts store and got me cheap parts and I could pull the cast iron 833 4 speed while laying on my back. I know I did it at least once without any jack because I didn't own one at the time.

Everyone has their favorite breeds and I'll be the first to say I've never been much of a poodle guy, but their is something about that dog that is just cool.
Thanks, my wife naturally is a poodle girl. She has had 2 standards before Cruiser. I didn't want a poodle at first but he turned out to be a good dog. Very loyal to both of us. He don't care what he gets in or where he goes just as long as he is with one of us. He is a very clean dog normally, does not shed hair and don't smell. Yes he needs to be groomed every 6-8 weeks but he has been worth it. Thanks again.
135.jpg

Last edited:
Back