Had my first bird strike

Perhaps you hit a ULEOS (ultra low earth orbiting satellite).

The FAA wants you to go back and find/collect the remains of the bird to be submitted for identification. Seriously....

How to Submit Bird Remains

If you are submitting a bird strike, please also collect and submit bird remains for identification. Knowing what types of birds are involved in wildlife strikes is extremely useful in developing successful wildlife management programs.

To submit bird remains:

1. Place the feathers and other material in a clean plastic zip-lock bag.

2. Include a copy of the report you printed in Step 2. If you entered your phone number or email address, we will contact you with the identification.

3. For US Postal Service, recommended for routine cases, send to: Feather Identification Lab, Smithsonian Institution, NHB E-600, MRC 116, P.O. Box 37012, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012.

4. For overnight shipping (e.g. FedEx, DHL, UPS), recommended for damaging or priority cases, send to: Feather Identification Lab, Smithsonian Institution, NHB E-600, MRC 116, 10th & Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. 20560-0116.

Lucky it hit where it hit
I had to stare at the guts on the windshield for an hour a year ago
Few days later iirc a bird took out radome and the engine on a Citation X, that was pretty ugly

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1475327779385.jpg
    FB_IMG_1475327779385.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 40
Lucky it hit where it hit
I had to stare at the guts on the windshield for an hour a year ago
Few days later iirc a bird took out radome and the engine on a Citation X, that was pretty ugly

Oh, I hope you were IFR - - - - Intestinal Flight Rules.

:D

Now that is a gut buster!

Or a really large bug. :yikes:

How did you get one of these to fly?
800px-Vw_kaefer_1300_2_v_sst.jpg

They barely stay airborne when you push them off a cliff.

It may have been an African or European swallow.

But what happened to the coconuts?

And besides, African swallows are not migratory.

In all seriousness, since it wasn't a duck, it must have been a witch. Halloween coming and all.

Luckily never hit one in the air.

...however once while driving nailed on right at the top of my windshield while probably mildly exceeding the seed limit and he attempted a zoom climb like a RV9 but had the performance of a 152. THUD. Looked in my read view mirror and it was like a feather pillow had literally exploded. I felt bad but was laughing cuz I thought that only really happened in cartoons!

My wife's first ride in a small plane we hit a turkey buzzard and punched a hole in the leading edge (pushed one section of the leading edge back to the spar). Made a precautionary landing in Luray where my brother lived, and he drove us back to Dulles. My wife says she actually was afraid to fly before that. She figured if something bad happened, you died. Now she knew if something bad happened, Ron's brother drove you home.

Luckily never hit one in the air.

...however once while driving nailed on right at the top of my windshield while probably mildly exceeding the seed limit and he attempted a zoom climb like a RV9 but had the performance of a 152. THUD. Looked in my read view mirror and it was like a feather pillow had literally exploded. I felt bad but was laughing cuz I thought that only really happened in cartoons!

I had that happen as well.. Except the pigeon tried to take off as I was getting to him... He hit the bottom of the car, and there was a huge cloud of feathers behind me

I hit a bird once on a banked test track in Japan (Kitsuregawa), at about 120 mph. Thankfully, it was in the upper right-hand corner of the windshield, pretty close to the A-pillar. Spooked me a bit, but fortunately it didn't shatter the windshield.

It was messy, but no Vulcan blood. o_O

We were talking with friends in a parking lot of a hotel once when I noticed the pickup truck we were standing in front of not only was covered with dead bugs, but had two dead starlings jammed in the grill.

Back