GTN Users - Which database bundle do you have?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
GTN Users, looking at the Database Bundles on Garmin and they got a ton of them.... I do not have their portables, so seems like PilotPak will not benefit me.

Unit: 750

US (Fixed Wing) Database Bundle is what i think would be best? dont need Canada
+ Garmin Pilot (which i already have)
Cost = $599 + $169 (or whatever the exact price point for GP)

US (Fixed Wing) Database Bundle $599.00 Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, FliteCharts, and Terrain (9AS) databases.

there is a note i see: GTN Series systems do not include Airport Directory databases.
What are they referring to? AOPA directory?

There is also this:

"US Lite PilotPak $559.00 Including Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Terrain, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, Basemap, and Frequency databases."

Confused :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can't totally help you, two things I'd mention. With a GTN flitecharts is a waste. (Approach Plates). Approaches are in the Nav Data, but not the plates. Second, some of the paks give GP premium for free. That has approach plates, and their usable on an iPad. Look in the GP subscription tab for which ones include premium GP for free. ($79 savings)

I can't totally help you, two things I'd mention. With a GTN flitecharts is a waste. (Approach Plates). Approaches are in the Nav Data, but not the plates. Second, some of the paks give GP premium for free. That has approach plates, and their usable on an iPad. Look in the GP subscription tab for which ones include premium GP for free. ($79 savings)

The GP premium upgrade is part of OnePak and PilotPak

Could you clarify - "With a GTN flitecharts is a waste."
Thought those are FAA plates and geo-referenced?

The GP premium upgrade is part of OnePak and PilotPak

Could you clarify - "With a GTN flitecharts is a waste."
Thought those are FAA plates and geo-referenced?
They are. I don't think you can see them on a GTN 650 in a way that is useful. That's what I meant by a waste. GP premium gets them on your iPad where you can zoom, superimpose them on a chart etc. The data of the approaches is in the navigation data. So if you load an approach, it will give you the horizontal and vertical guidance you need. I have a G500 and got the flite charts for that. Found them to be far more useful on the iPad and gave up the Flitecharts this year. Does that clear it up?

They are. I don't think you can see them on a GTN 650 in a way that is useful. That's what I meant by a waste. GP premium gets them on your iPad where you can zoom, superimpose them on a chart etc. The data of the approaches is in the navigation data. So if you load an approach, it will give you the horizontal and vertical guidance you need. I have a G500 and got the flite charts for that. Found them to be far more useful on the iPad. Does that clear it up?
it does. Thanks for clarifying. Should have mentioned, its for 750. I will update the initial post

We just purchased our first bundle, but it was for a 650xi, not 750xi. It also included updates for our GI275, and GNC255A. Nothing is needed for the G5’s.

Below is the item number of the bundle that we purchased, along with the price details.

PSOP-STD001A-US
Qty: 1
$649.00 USD
Subtotal
$649.00 USD
Shipping
$0.00 USD
Tax
$63.28 USD
Total
$712.28 USD

We just purchased our first bundle, but it was for a 650xi, not 750xi. It also included updates for our GI275, and GNC255A. Nothing is needed for the G5’s.

Below is the item number of the bundle that we purchased, along with the price details.

PSOP-STD001A-US
Qty: 1
$649.00 USD
Subtotal
$649.00 USD
Shipping
$0.00 USD
Tax
$63.28 USD
Total
$712.28 USD

Thanks, looks like you got this one https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571691#overview
this has everything apart from FliteCharts which makes sense on a 650
i think my only option is US Standard + FliteCharts

upload_2020-4-30_8-20-20.png

paging @flyingcheesehead

i think my only option is US Standard + FliteCharts
I believe you have the option to get a OnePak without FliteCharts. Whether you choose to forego FlitCharts is up to you. The first database update is free (via a postcard they include with the unit), so you do have a chance to try before you buy.

Is there another plane with a 750 or a dealer unit you can demo? As I said earlier, I have a G500 and when started IFR training, I added them. When actually using them, I found the resolution to be poor (G500 issue) and the ability to "move around" and brief the plate be challenging. On the other hand, it was easy on the iPad and it left that screen free for other info.

Only reason to harp on the point, is what sounds good on paper, might not be as useful real world. I think you are getting a new unit, so I assume it's the xi, resolution is supposed to be excellent. It's also touch screen which might make moving the plate around much easier. The "try before you buy" option sounds good.

I've got nothing against FliteCharts, just one guy's experience with a different set of avionics.

@Hang 4 yes its a Xi. I will use the coupon mentioned by @asicer and then make a call. Appreciate chiming in

As another data point, I also went with the US Standard OnePak for my 650xi, 430w, and Gizmo docked Aera 660. I generally use Foreflight for my charts, but they are also on the Aera if I really want to squint. ;)

If you're going to be using a tablet, I see no real benefit to having the charts displayed on the panel.

Unless you're flying helicopters or other low-level work, having a monthly update of terrain and obstacles is excessive. Terrain of course doesn't change, and if you're flying IFR you don't need to worry about obstacles at all. Plus, the tablet will likely have that data already.

The only thing you really need is the navigation data, if you are doing "normal" GA IFR flying.

Back