Grumman CFI Near NYC /Connecticut

GrummanBear

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
X
Single 36 yr old male looking for a relationship with older, experienced CFI.

I am a student pilot with about 5 hours in a 172 and 10 in a PA 38. Closing a purchase this week on a Grumman trainer at DXR and am looking for a CFI to spend some quality time with. Specifically, per insurance, one with at least 10 hours past experience in a Grumman trainer series airframe. I’m out of Texas, but will be staying with my in-laws about 50 miles from DXR for this flight time. FWIW (a lot to me), the airframe is current, in excellent condition, and low overhaul time.

That said, any constructive advice on the forum from those with experience in the AA1x series is and will always be welcome!

*Yes, I called schools at DXR and spoke to several very nice, very qualified individuals who are booked out.

I purchased my Grumman very close to there (KOXC). The Seller's son I believe is a CFI and they owned my traveler for a few years.
This an AA5 so not the trainer series. If that's not a concern, I can email him and put you in contact with them.

Yankee, Tiger, Cheetah ?

SixPapa, that would be great. My understanding is the handling characteristics of the AA5 series is pretty similar and I don’t expect it would be an issue. I’m looking forward to some flight time up there. My wife grew up a couple miles from West Point across the Hudson from Danbury and it is an incredibly beautiful area. Here in Texas the ground scenery is a bit mundane.

WDD, it is an AA1B - actually simply called the Grumman Trainer. The AA1A is the Yankee, the AA1C is the Lynx, and the big cat names continued into the AA5’s.

James, I’m not familiar with Grinder, just a very happily married guy with a twisted sense of humor who loves to fly

SixPapa, that would be great. My understanding is the handling characteristics of the AA5 series is pretty similar and I don’t expect it would be an issue. I’m looking forward to some flight time up there. My wife grew up a couple miles from West Point across the Hudson from Danbury and it is an incredibly beautiful area. Here in Texas the ground scenery is a bit mundane.

WDD, it is an AA1B - actually simply called the Grumman Trainer. The AA1A is the Yankee, the AA1C is the Lynx, and the big cat names continued into the AA5’s.

James, I’m not familiar with Grinder, just a very happily married guy with a twisted sense of humor who loves to fly

PM me your contact information.
I believe I have a lead for you.

Contact your insurance agent, I sent mine an email and she confirmed that the AA5 series and AA1 series were interchangeable for insurance purposes.

You can also try calling the flight schools at BDR. There used to be a flight school there that had several AA5s on their fleet. They closed up shop couple of years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me if the instructors moved to other schools on the field.

I really appreciate the replies and time you guys took to help me out here. I now have a couple of well qualified CFIs to spend some time with in the Grumman and really look forward to our upcoming vis a vis. I will be hopefully spending time and $ with a couple different instructors, as I always appreciate learning from different backgrounds and perspectives. Thanks so much! If there is an interest in these forums, I’ll post some pictures and observations of the cross country trip from DXR to south Texas when we make it in the next month or so.

I really appreciate the replies and time you guys took to help me out here. I now have a couple of well qualified CFIs to spend some time with in the Grumman and really look forward to our upcoming vis a vis. I will be hopefully spending time and $ with a couple different instructors, as I always appreciate learning from different backgrounds and perspectives. Thanks so much! If there is an interest in these forums, I’ll post some pictures and observations of the cross country trip from DXR to south Texas when we make it in the next month or so.

Try the AYA.org. They keep a list of Grumman CFIs for transition training.

Welcome to Grumman ownership. I’m at MGJ with an AA1B

She is N6209L, AA1B-0009, Approx 400 hours on full overhaul by Pine Mountain, and getting annual completed right now...slight hp increase with 115hp Stc...logs back to its first test flight in ‘72...should be ready for the big cross country next week. We took it out over the Long Island sound before annual and flew great...just flew back from JFK a few hours ago after completing the deal. The seller was a gentleman, and I don’t think there was a better deal on a fun, squared away trainer to be found.

Last edited:
N6070L is my Grumman Traveler I was looking at that airplane but you put the deposit first. I wanted a second airplane. I wanted to make the airplane Experimental so I could put a 160 - 180 hp Engine in it. Good luck with the airplane. If you are going to sell let let me know.

I am in The Middle of a paint Job. Lot of work

Last edited:
How Good is the air plane Rigged?

The panel is good, but simple basic VFR. (LORAN...) ADSB out is current, and I have an ADSB in w/ WAAS that interfaces with ForeFlight. It also has JPI fuel monitoring system with tank levels and burn rate.

How well does the airplane fly with hands off? That is what I was asking.

I’m probably not the one to ask, but it trims better and more stable than the Cessna and Piper trainers I have been in. It has a heavier wing load than some

Back