Grounded after colonoscopy

It's a twilight sedation. Some lose memory. But you are awake during it and can choose to watch or not.
Totally false! You are NOT awake and DO NOT get the option to choose to 'watch' it.. are you kidding me!? Where do you get your information?!

Totally false! You are NOT awake and DO NOT get the option to choose to 'watch' it.. are you kidding me!? Where do you get your information?!
It depends entirely on the doctor and anesthesiologist as to what meds and such are used.

It depends entirely on the doctor and anesthesiologist as to what meds and such are used.
I have multiple family members who have been through the procedure and some who've used different doctors over the years and never have I heard of them being awake and given the option to 'watch' the operation.

Last edited:
I have multiple family members who have been through the procedure and some who've used different doctors over the years and never have I heard of them being awake and given the option to 'watch' the operation.
Come to Denver. Three different docs in three different practices, you'll find three different everything.

Come to Denver. Three different docs in three different practices, you'll find three different everything.
Interesting. I can't imagine who would want to go through one without sedation. Evidently they do things differently here in the south.

I found watching the monitor during the procedure most interesting. One of the many pluses of not being drugged.

I have had two. Awake for each. The sedation is not deep. Get one and find out.

My father regularly stays awake and watches during his. I don't know why he does that. I'm perfectly happy to take the propofol nap (just glad I don't have Conrad Murray for an anesthesiologist).

I had it done with no sedation or anesthesia, as well.

The truth is that the procedure is no big deal. The fact that practically everyone in the United States who gets one is sedated tells me either that hospitals are padding the bills, or that Americans are the biggest bunch of wusses on the face of the earth.

Yes they are. Well not just Americans. Don't get me started on childbirth. Women these days consider an epidural the "normal" way to give birth. For millions of years mammals give birth without anesthesia and all of a sudden we're too chicken cheet to tolerate it? Give me a break.

Anyway colonoscopy is different for different people. I had a lower endoscopy with no sedation or anesthesia, well he called it lower, but once he was in there he said, "I might as well do the top part too", I believe he only didn't get to the descending part of the other side, (or is that called the "ascending"? ... the part with the appendix) ANYHOW it hurt like the dickens. As bad or worse than childbirth only didn't last as long.

But like you I think the sedation is far worse than the ten minutes of pain. I had a series of ganglion injections for RSD and they gave me versed every time. I have no idea why, it was just a bunch of needle sticks in the neighborhood of my neck. No more painful than any other kind of shot. Didn't ask, just hooked me up to the "happy juice". I would be useless for 24 hours each time. Finally I said, stop with the versed for Pete's sake just give me the shots, so they did. It was so not a big deal. Twice a week for six months, was nuts to lose all that time sleeping and drooling.

Unless your doc is using an unusual procedure, it's a very light anesthesia with a "forgetful" part. You're really not out all the way, such as for seriously invasive surgery. If you go in at 7 am, you'll be released by noon, somewhat hungry. Give it a day or two to get completely out of your system and you'll be good to go.

Frankly, the worst part is the 24 hr prep. No red jello. Stick with ginger ale, Sprite or similar and clear soup for the 24 hrs. Even more important, get the softest TP you can buy. BTDT. Family history of colon cancer so I'm on the 5 yr plan and a year late....couldn't take the time off from work last year.

By the way, you get photos of your insides. Suitable for your scrapbook!

I used baby wipes when I had mine based on my brothers recommendation, he had 3 before I had my first.

Yes they are. Well not just Americans. Don't get me started on childbirth. Women these days consider an epidural the "normal" way to give birth. For millions of years mammals give birth without anesthesia and all of a sudden we're too chicken cheet to tolerate it? Give me a break.

Anyway colonoscopy is different for different people. I had a lower endoscopy with no sedation or anesthesia, well he called it lower, but once he was in there he said, "I might as well do the top part too", I believe he only didn't get to the descending part of the other side, (or is that called the "ascending"? ... the part with the appendix) ANYHOW it hurt like the dickens. As bad or worse than childbirth only didn't last as long.

But like you I think the sedation is far worse than the ten minutes of pain. I had a series of ganglion injections for RSD and they gave me versed every time. I have no idea why, it was just a bunch of needle sticks in the neighborhood of my neck. No more painful than any other kind of shot. Didn't ask, just hooked me up to the "happy juice". I would be useless for 24 hours each time. Finally I said, stop with the versed for Pete's sake just give me the shots, so they did. It was so not a big deal. Twice a week for six months, was nuts to lose all that time sleeping and drooling.

I think the skill of the two nurses who assisted the doctor during my colonoscopy made a huge difference. They just had it down to a science. They knew exactly where and when to push, pull, and even tell me how to breathe. They obviously have done of lot of these procedures together. The doctor and the two nurses were a great team.

Rich

I think the skill of the two nurses who assisted the doctor during my colonoscopy made a huge difference. They just had it down to a science. They knew exactly where and when to push, pull, and even tell me how to breathe. They obviously have done of lot of these procedures together. The doctor and the two nurses were a great team.

Rich

Great point. It must be like dentists giving you the Novocain injection. I had one dentist, I don't know what he did but all his injections were completely painless. It was something about how he inserted the needle but also he would gently shake and prod the tissue at the same time. He said that "fooled your nerves into ignoring the pain". It was amazing.

Great point. It must be like dentists giving you the Novocain injection. I had one dentist, I don't know what he did but all his injections were completely painless. It was something about how he inserted the needle but also he would gently shake and prod the tissue at the same time. He said that "fooled your nerves into ignoring the pain". It was amazing.
I've had that technique used by only one dentist out of probably half a dozen. The concern I've heard from one who didn't was the liability if the needle was accidentally broken by the shaking.

Another method is to use a swab with something on it (lidocaine?) on the injection site for a few minutes prior to the injection. It takes a little extra time and I only found one guy who did that.

I guess some guys are dedicated to painless others are mostly painless. I certainly appreciate the painless ones.

Another method is to use a swab with something on it (lidocaine?) on the injection site for a few minutes prior to the injection. It takes a little extra time and I only found one guy who did that.

If I get numbed (not very often), that's the way they do it to me. A cotton swab with a topical, stuck between my cheek and gum for the amount of time it takes to get the injection ready, then I never feel the needle at all.

If I get numbed (not very often), that's the way they do it to me. A cotton swab with a topical, stuck between my cheek and gum for the amount of time it takes to get the injection ready, then I never feel the needle at all.
Same here. Both my last dentist (in Michigan) and my current one here in VT use that same technique. The topical has a vaguely fruity, sweet taste to it, probably an additive to hide the alkaloid bitterness.

Cirrus Flight Manual.

I have went through two of these. One was in the 80's and the other in the early 90's. The used no drugs what so ever and I was wide awake. I went right back to work that day. Drove myself to the doctor and drove back to work.

Last edited:
This was a cake walk without any drugs. You want to go through something..Have a discogram..Now that is torture.

Don't worry, soon it will all be behind you.

and by the way, am I the only person who finds it interesting that someone with the handle "checkout my six" is posting in this thread?

As I call it: Cameron Diaz.

I had mine done just a couple of weeks ago. It was in a new facility and the office worker gave me directions that told me I had to drive around to the back of the building where the entrance was. Without thinking I said, OK, enter in the rear. Apparently, not the first time they've heard that one.

That was the exact point I was going to make. Obviously I'll never give birth myself, but my wife had no pain meds for our 3 kids (including the twin girls, the 2nd was a breach). Very happy with the decision and would do the same one again.

After our son was born she was up and walking around 10 minutes later. The nurses were trying to get her to lie back down. "YOU CAN'T GET UP!" "Why? I feel fine." And she was fine. They really didn't know how to handle it.

I will also suggest you go easy on solid foods the day before the prep starts. It will make the prep go a lot easier. I was also advised not to plan to make any critical decisions or drive until the day after the test. I rember getting dressed after the test and thought I was fine and could have driven myself home. My wife dropped me off at home and went to work. She came home that evening and saw the dirty pans and dishes in the sink and asked me what I cooked for lunch. I had no idea - I could not remember cooking anything. The next day I was fine.

IMG_2654.JPG

Hmmm...says Diprivan has a half life between 2 hours and 24 hours. So, following the FAA advice, you should be out of flying somewhere between 10 hours and 5 days.

Why don't they just say "Heck, we don't know either"?

Hmmm...says Diprivan has a half life between 2 hours and 24 hours. So, following the FAA advice, you should be out of flying somewhere between 10 hours and 5 days.

Why don't they just say "Heck, we don't know either"?
The elimination half life I recall is 1-3 hours. Look up redistribution half life; it is only 2-4 minutes. Redistribution determines the period of clinical effect.

You can have a colonoscopy without sedation. It's not comfortable but some patients choose to have it that way.

You can have a colonoscopy without sedation. It's not comfortable but some patients choose to have it that way.
I stand corrected, my bad. Down here, I have never heard of it being done, but if it floats your fancy, go for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back