Greg caused all of this...

What I object to is one group of corporations and people in the US forcing everyone to help pay for the fight they want to make, when that fight is not a clear and present danger to the US itself.

The US has $70b of exports each year to South Korea that will come to a sudden and abrupt end if North Korea takes over. In addition to that, SK and JPN pays us $3b annually to keep troops there.

The total cost of those operations is $20b/year - and it's not as if that gets cut to $0 if you don't have them in SK and JPN - we will always need some Asia presence for deterrence, so most of that costs will move to Hawaii.

So from a purely fiscal perspective, it's not a bad deal.

That sure worked out good in the 20s and 30s up to 07DEC1941.
A pretty good case can be made that if we had stayed out of WWI then the Germans would not have had such an obnoxious settlement imposed on them and Hitler may not have come to power. He really did make it in by the skin of his teeth -- the book "Hitler's 30 days to power" is an interesting read.

We weren't really following a leave them alone policy in the 20s and 30s either. We were imposing rather strict conditions on Japan which led them to favor war as a solution.

So while these discussions are speculative, I don't think a careful review of the facts involved in our entries into WWI and WWII necessarily argue that we need to be intervening around the world as we do.

The US has $70b of exports each year to South Korea that will come to a sudden and abrupt end if North Korea takes over.

So you don't think whatever government is in charge of SK will find it in their economic self interest to continue exports? I can see a disruption and delay, but it seems like it will be in their interests to continue the economy.

I guess the current rulers of NK might be that crazy, but I have to wonder if their dictatorship would stop being propped up once the great threat of US involvement wasn't there. It seems like they use that as a primary way to justify and propagandize their policies. Similar to most dictatorships really -- the best thing is an external threat to scare the population.

I guess the current rulers of NK might be that crazy, but I have to wonder if their dictatorship would stop being propped up once the great threat of US involvement wasn't there. It seems like they use that as a primary way to justify and propagandize their policies. Similar to most dictatorships really -- the best thing is an external threat to scare the population.

Just a guess - but it's possible that since most of NK citizens have no access to the rest of the world, they would never know if the external threat doesn't exist anymore.

So you don't think whatever government is in charge of SK will find it in their economic self interest to continue exports? I can see a disruption and delay, but it seems like it will be in their interests to continue the economy.
Exports, sure. Imports, no.

It's self-preservation. Same as with Erdogan right now. If they lose their dictatorship, they'd be killed. The regime has gone too far against its own people to have a peaceful change - so everything they're doing is to make sure they stay in control, or they'll be dead.

Kim Jong Un is actually incredibly predicable. Trump... not so much.

and you say that like it's a bad thing. :D

Yes, because as a result you now have the population of Guam that's going to hope in a week or so that North Korea's missiles have a navigation accuracy of more than 99%. The problem isn't a warning shot into international waters of the coast - but what if they miss and actually hit something?

That was easily avoidable.

Lil' Kim's missle probably isn't long enough to hit the G Spot. If he even know where it is.

The only thing wrong with this statement is that you're saying Greg lives in a G-Spot. Which... well... never mind. :)

An alternate point of view -- we should stop sticking our noses in the business of people halfway around the world.

Tricky in this case since Guam is actually a U.S. Territory, but perhaps a phased cutting them loose could be in order?
Back in the day, on another "sub forum" I'd say more. For now, I'll just leave this here for ya;).

http://fair.org/media-beat-column/30-year-anniversary-tonkin-gulf-lie-launched-vietnam-war/

Disclaimer: I wasn't born yet (born a year later), so I don't know WTF I'm talking about:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only thing wrong with this statement is that you're saying Greg lives in a G-Spot. Which... well... never mind. :)

I'm saying no such thing.

I'm just sayin that kimbo couldn't hit the barn side of a broad. Oh wait, that's not how that saying goes. Never mind.

I keep going back to what Colin Powell said in a speech back in March at a convention I attended in DC: "right now he's shooting sticks into the ocean, big deal. If we SERIOUSLY thought he was a threat, he'd be a charcoal briquette tomorrow." I think he Powell oughta know, at least in principle.

The only thing more bombastic than NK's top guy is our own, maybe Jong-un has met his match?

I'm just glad I'm not the Greg that caused all this kerfuffle.

Worry not. We make a little toy here in good ol' Oklahoma that'll do the trick.

13220051_G.jpg

You're welcome. 'MURCA!!!

I'm pleased to see your transition to redneck is coming along nicely.

Although I was birthed and reared in New York City, my relatives hailed from Virginia. As such, I was taught about the War of Northern Aggression. Although quite oddly, nobody in the family but me ever owned pickup trucks. Well, other than the S-10 my uncle bought in the early 90s, and quickly sold, but that ain't much of a pickup. I was the first to buy a pickup that could be called "real" with my '97 C2500 diesel, and then the Ram 2500 Cummins.

Aside from using phrases such as "done get blowed up", I also have several pairs of cowboy boots, numerous plaid shirts, drive an F-350, own 4 tractors (only 3 of which run and the newest of which is 50 years old), and have an F-250 that I'm parting out by the shed. Checkbox wise, I reckon I'm doing alright so long as I don't let anyone on to my place of birth.

Although I was birthed and reared in New York City, my relatives hailed from Virginia. As such, I was taught about the War of Northern Aggression. Although quite oddly, nobody in the family but me ever owned pickup trucks. Well, other than the S-10 my uncle bought in the early 90s, and quickly sold, but that ain't much of a pickup. I was the first to buy a pickup that could be called "real" with my '97 C2500 diesel, and then the Ram 2500 Cummins.

Aside from using phrases such as "done get blowed up", I also have several pairs of cowboy boots, numerous plaid shirts, drive an F-350, own 4 tractors (only 3 of which run and the newest of which is 50 years old), and have an F-250 that I'm parting out by the shed. Checkbox wise, I reckon I'm doing alright so long as I don't let anyone on to my place of birth.

Have you mowed the lawn and found a car you had forgotten about?

Do you own a matching set of salad bowls that all have Cool Whip printed on them?

Do you have at least one commode being used as a flower pot on your front porch?

Well then you might be a redneck....

I haven't seen a Confederate flag flying behind a pickup truck for a couple months now.

Have you mowed the lawn and found a car you had forgotten about?

Do you own a matching set of salad bowls that all have Cool Whip printed on them?

Do you have at least one commode being used as a flower pot on your front porch?

Well then you might be a redneck....
Do you put old tires on your roof?
Do you have a missing front tooth?
Do you call your half-sister Maw?
Is your wife also a half-sister?
Does your family tree have only one branch?
Are you unable to count all the dogs and cats in the yard?
Do you think raccoon hunting should be a national sport?
If you answered yes to any two of these then you are a redneck.

Checkbox wise, I reckon I'm doing alright so long as I don't let anyone on to my place of birth.

Brother, I think you may be there. Congrats and welcome to redneckdom. Despite the crap that Mr. Foxworthy said about us, you should be proud.

More like the French castle scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Just for kicks, here's my wife standing in front of the aforementioned castle. It's Doune Castle to be exact.

71755_118906094836791_1654688_n.jpg

"I fart in your general direction."

Reactions: Ted
A pretty good case can be made that if we had stayed out of WWI then the Germans would not have had such an obnoxious settlement imposed on them and Hitler may not have come to power. He really did make it in by the skin of his teeth -- the book "Hitler's 30 days to power" is an interesting read.

We weren't really following a leave them alone policy in the 20s and 30s either. We were imposing rather strict conditions on Japan which led them to favor war as a solution.

So while these discussions are speculative, I don't think a careful review of the facts involved in our entries into WWI and WWII necessarily argue that we need to be intervening around the world as we do.
But if we'd done that we wouldn't talk now about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.... :D

Beats duck-and-cover - I grew up close enough to DC that it was usually followed by the words "and kiss your ass goodbye".

I figured that's exactly what the goobers suggested. They just didn't use the old fashioned phrase.

I guess "avoid bomb flash" sounds more like someone is taking a selfie so it works better for the modern crowd. LOL. :)

I figured that's exactly what the goobers suggested. They just didn't use the old fashioned phrase.

I guess "avoid bomb flash" sounds more like someone is taking a selfie so it works better for the modern crowd. LOL. :)
I hear solar eclipse glasses and filters work for that, too.

Back